Is it necessary to change the Oil during 1k servicing?

Newbie1

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Hi guys, wondering... for Chevy we have to go for serving at 1k & we have to change the engine oil.. but is it necessary to change so early? Eg, Japan cars only go for servicing at 5K during which they change to synthetic oil. Therefore can we also choose not to change until the 5K servicing?

Also, can I go for the 1K servicing later like maybe when I hit 2K or so or will they forfit my servicing saying I passed the 1K mark ?

Oh yah.. how many bottles do I need to buy if changing the engine oil? Ride is Optra (A) 1.6.. Tks!

Edited by Newbie1
↡ Advertisement

Dunno about how other jap makes do it but for Nissan, we have 1st 1, 5, 10k servicing.

1 and 5 k mineral oil. 10k then syn oil. The reason for 1k oil change is to get those small metal bits out when you are doing your run in.

If the 1k servicing is free, just let them change oil lor. No need to buy your own.

Neutral Newbie

Honda Civic ES5 goes on 1k then 10k servicing.

I suggest you go for the 1k servcing. Don't skip. If you missed it and anything happens to your car, SA is going to blame you for not going for proper servicing. They are not going to honour the warranty.

You need not to go at 1k exact, slightly more is ok. I went for mine at 1.6k km.

Optra use 3.75L of engine oil. You can use the mineral oil from SA or get your own outside.

If you get those in quart, then u need 4 bottles.

I agree with Xavier. Don't miss out on servicing lest they void your warranty totally.

Just stay with mineral up to 10k. Then make the switch to synthetic. Patience...padawan. [laugh]

I think it is a total waste of good money and engine oil. These days, the running in of engine is not necessary anymore, i.e. use of run in oil of yesteryear. It was then necessary to change the oil at 1000 km so that proper grade oil could then be used. But nowadays with the engineering tolerance raised so close, it is not necessary anymore. Look at the owner's manual, it is recommended only to change the oil at 10,000 km. I change mine at just that using the highest grade of engine oil available. The dealer cannot void your warranty unless you cannot proof that you have provided proper maintenance service for your vehicle.

CbX

Yes, this is the most important service. I think its 2000km not 1000km. The reason why this servicing is so important is that you car is brand new and the pistons and cylinders fit very, very tight [;)] you know what I mean, lol. Anyway during this first 2000km there will be a lot of scrapping (piston rings against cylinder walls). All this metal scrapping will be trap in the oil filter. That is the main reason for the 2k servicing. [:)]

Neutral Newbie

not too sure about Chevy...but i think new cars are supposed to change the oil from mineral to fully synthetic during the 10K servicing.

did my 1K servicing abt 3 weeks ago and all the SA did was to top it up...not change it to synthetic...even my next servicing which is 5K, no need to change yet(according to my service log book) [shakehead]

If you are keeping the car for only short term, then it's OK to skip the oil change.

The next owner will take the responsibility for any engine damages.

Neutral Newbie
Hi guys, wondering... for Chevy we have to go for serving at 1k & we have to change the engine oil.. but is it necessary to change so early? Eg, Japan cars only go for servicing at 5K during which they change to synthetic oil. Therefore can we also choose not to change until the 5K servicing?

Also, can I go for the 1K servicing later like maybe when I hit 2K or so or will they forfit my servicing saying I passed the 1K mark ?

Oh yah.. how many bottles do I need to buy if changing the engine oil? Ride is Optra (A) 1.6.. Tks!

For honda at KM, they required us to do servicing at 1k, thereafter every 10k.

They will change the mineral oil to syn oil and also change the oil filter.

It is cheaper to bring your own oil and oil filter.

The labour cost is less than $15. If at the 1k servcing, i bring a mineral oil to change, the servicing personnel will ask me to go back at 5k not 10k. every 10k is on the assumption that it is syn oil and not mineral.

If dont go servcing, KM might and will definitely void my warranty if there is anyting problem with the engine.

I suggest you follow the servicing dateline (+- a few hundred km), if you want to maintain the warranty.

yo bro so for the 1k servicing did u bring ur own oil???

or u let them use their own?

wats ur ride btw? i`m going for my 1st servicing soon at KM so i need to know more.

so i should bring my own synthetic oil during the 1st service??

i did my 1 k and 10k so far.

both times, i brough my own oil and oil filter.

both times, the labour cost are less than $40.

if you dont bring your own, km profit about 20% from the oil and oil filter.

my ride is city.

yes, bring your own oil and oil filter.

u bought your car at KM but you are are chervolet car clubs???

Km sells honda, right?