Display Needle acting funny

Sonnytay

Neutral Newbie

Something funny is happening to my Octy Classic recently. When I start my car, the needles on the Fuel Guage / Temp / Rev / Speed doesn't respond. Everything else ok, car can drive as per normal, just that the needles doesn't move. Halfway through driving, the needles will respond suddenly. Sometimes, after responding, they will sleep again. Very strange.......

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Not funny... connection loose?

Might wanna check with CA... the speedo is quite costly and it takes months to bring the part in [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

Alternatively you might want to check with places like Servo to see if they have spares lying around just in case [;)]

Edited by Lightspeed

Hi,

It sounds like an Impulse regulator that fails. It started with erratic movements then die off. It should not be a costly item (less than S$150) but rarely fails (maybe I might be wrong). Had my old Seat systems failed many years ago.

Ivan

Neutral Newbie

Not sure about the Octy display but in my former A4, the needles were moving somewhat like yours plus at other times they went all over the place. The multifunction display was also behaving strangely - on/off/illegible display.

Final diagnosis - instrument cluster was faulty and the whole thing needed to be replaced. Cost estimate - approx $800...

Neutral Newbie

Sonny,

Sounds like dash wiring problem. HAve ir hooked up to a VAG tool nad it should show up whats wrong...Servo should be able to handle that for you...

[pirate][cool]

Something funny is happening to my Octy Classic recently. When I start my car, the needles on the Fuel Guage / Temp / Rev / Speed doesn't respond. Everything else ok, car can drive as per normal, just that the needles doesn't move. Halfway through driving, the needles will respond suddenly. Sometimes, after responding, they will sleep again. Very strange.......

Managed to solve your problem, Sunny?

Care to share?

You are right,nothing about being a procrastinator, why spend the money when you can live with it, it is just a car.

But Skodarr is right. We are just interested about the bug and it's rectification.

Seems like your needles on the respective gauges have some sort of erectile dysfunction like that leh!...driving halfway maybe it get stimulated then will 'suddenly respond'... [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Hee Hee, Erectile Dysfunction? Suddenly Respond?

Seems like my car is taking on the personality of the owner, Ha Ha.

Errrrr.... haven't go yet.

Hi ,

Got a question regarding display needles as well.

This morning after I start the car, realised that all my needles ain't moving at all, i.e. Fuel, Temp, Speed and rpm

Hope any bros here can advise what might be wrong, before I sent my car to a workshop on Monday.

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

After reading thru the various postings, I have a similar problem but less serious ( I hope !). I am driving a tody but the only meter that is not working is my temp guage meter. When I start my engine, the temp meter does not move at all, even during my journey. However, after driving for sometime and when i stopped my car and restart, the needle will immediately moved to 90. If i was to drive on, the needle will start to drop instead. Went to servo and they had changed my temp sensor already. had used a vag diagnostic and reading on it showed ok. suspected to be the meter cluster faulty. Would like to check with anyone if anyone had experience this before ? read about it in seat forum overseas that this is usually due to the coolant temp sensor. but servo had checked all sensor and connections and said that it is ok. will like to confirm b4 reallyu spending to replace the meter cluster. Thanx in advance

↡ Advertisement