Cervical Cancer or HPV vaccine for all secondary school girl

Lala81

(edited)

Finally. A major milestone in vaccination...

Actually boys will also benefit from reduction of sexually transmitted warts etc, but i guess the cost vs benefit ratio is not there.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/sec-1-female-students-free-hpv-vaccine-against-cervical-cancer-11316882

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 11

Actually boys will also benefit from reduction of sexually transmitted warts etc, but i guess the cost vs benefit ratio is not there.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/sec-1-female-students-free-hpv-vaccine-against-cervical-cancer-11316882

I always admire scientists

The contributions they bring to us is enormous

http://www.toponlinecolleges.com/blog/2011/10-most-important-vaccines-in-human-history/

• Praise 1

Good to have ....... but many ask, why not ALL WOMEN .

to be fair , I think they were rite to ask .  Why they dont spend a bit more to protect all women or at least most of them. Isnt it good for the country ?   

:grin:

• Praise 3

(edited)

I feel it should be made opt-out at least, and ideally compulsory.

Reason: opt-in requires explicit parental permission to vaccinate their child against HPV. And since HPV is an STI, it is an implicit admission that your little girl may already be sexually active. It is foolish to think in this fashion, but such denial is common among those with a "conservative" mindset.

This has already happened in the US.

https://www.christianpost.com/news/conservatives-raise-red-flag-on-mandatory-hpv-vaccine-for-girls-26520/

So, what I favour is universal, compulsory vaccination against HPV for young girls, to be done as part of the routine programme. Any parent who chooses to actively prevent his/her child from getting the vaccine will suffer the same legal consequences as if they eschewed, say, MMR.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 5

Turbocharged

No doubt hpv is STI but I thought it could be transmitted thru other means not necessarily sexual activity?

(edited)

opt-out is a better option

by default then there is no stigma that who took hpv vaccine is sexually active [sly]

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

Good that it is opt-in. Hopefully all the side effects have already been considered. Like, you know, autism  :D

you mai K K ........ later U go geylang and ask "got vaccine already ?" 

si bo si bo ? 

:D

Brudder dont worry cos AV did let DSC educate licensed sex workers about this hpv vaccine :slow:

Most of them took the jab liao...safe but no raw hor  :grin:

• Praise 2

The report says sec 1 girls.

What about sec 2-4 leh? Will get or not?

• Praise 2

The report says sec 1 girls.

What about sec 2-4 leh? Will get or not?

one time catch up exercise for all those in sec school when the vaccination starts.

I think you meant: little girl would be sexually active very soon as the vaccine don't work that well if already have it.

Reason: opt-in requires explicit parental permission to vaccinate their child against HPV. And since HPV is an STI, it is an implicit admission that your little girl may already be sexually active. It is foolish to think in this fashion, but such denial is common among those with a "conservative" mindset.

(edited)

I think you meant: little girl would be sexually active very soon as the vaccine don't work that well if already have it.

Or they could already be sexually active, but not sway enough to have picked it up before the vaccine.

With regard to efficacy of vaccination after acquisition of HPV - probably very little for a vaccine-type strain that's already been acquired. But if said little girl has been sway enough to acquire a wart-causing HPV but not so sway as to acquire a vaccine preventable cancer-causing strain yet, then of course, there is protection conferred.

Basically - always vaccinate, and do so early. The approved age starts from 9 in the USA, but the long term immunogenicity has probably not been satisfactorily established given how new the vaccine is. So better to catch them just before the likely first age of sexual intimacy.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

Good that it is opt-in. Hopefully all the side effects have already been considered. Like, you know, autism  :D

Your smiley indicates you're probably kidding, and I sincerely hope you are. But there are those who take this sort of thing seriously, and joking about it may make things worse.

Turbocharged

This has already happened in the US.

https://www.christianpost.com/news/conservatives-raise-red-flag-on-mandatory-hpv-vaccine-for-girls-26520/

So, what I favour is universal, compulsory vaccination against HPV for young girls, to be done as part of the routine programme. Any parent who chooses to actively prevent his/her child from getting the vaccine will suffer the same legal consequences as if they eschewed, say, MMR.

I am rather sure it was a considered decision to go with the opt-in rather than the opt-out approach. Perhaps the intention is to eventually make it opt-out, just that for the starting few years to ease in the concept, the 'softer' approach is taken. This is something very personal and I think to come out of the gates with an opt-out structure may not go down well with some.

Until you mention that it is an STI, I didn't know. It is now angled as a vaccination against cervical cancer, indeed the government cannot possibly come out and market it as a vaccination against an STI without suffering politically.

• Praise 1

one time catch up exercise for all those in sec school when the vaccination starts.

good... my girl in s4 now [laugh]

↡ Advertisement