5 year old Chua Howe Run win award at US Invention Conventio

SGMCF328

Turbocharged
(edited)

This young Singapore boy do us proud in US invention Convention 2019! [thumbsup] [THUMBSUP]

Award Name Invention Country

Kindergarden: 1st Place Charles Smith Benge Beacon United States

Kindergarden: 2nd Place Chua Howe Run Night Patch Singapore

http://inventionconvention.org/blog/2019/06/05/2019-invention-convention-u-s-nationals-award-winner/

https://www.zaobao.com.sg/zvideos/news/story20190721-974305?fbclid=IwAR18cTlrn02OBUKrlYW8SrFEHECflT1_sP0tdv3hSvos_UchCw3P3zVn9vc

Edited by SGMCF328
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 15

Well done! 

Kindergarden was misspelt and no official spotted it? Oh I get it, one can argue this is an invention competition, not spelling bee quiz! [laugh]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

Wah ... lightning logo very prominent [laugh]

The best inventions are often the simplest!

Edited by Sosaria

Twincharged

wonder which MP will claim credit this time.......

Hypersonic

Good idea, I may steal his idea for my night joggin along the Sengkang PCN where it can get dark. Don't tell him I copy his idea.. [laugh]

Good idea, I may steal his idea for my night joggin along the Sengkang PCN where it can get dark. Don't tell him I copy his idea.. [laugh]

infringement of copyright, please pay royalty  -_-

Dont understand , why is this an invention.

People been doing this long ago.

Reflective strips on clothes and shoes.

Stick on ones are also available

???

Turbocharged

???

For kiddos..I think the criteria relaxed...to encourage innovation... :D

(edited)

It’s the entire process...from having a concern, to think of a possible solution, to try out different methods and materials, to the eventual result which may just help others alongside self satisfaction...not so much of invention per say.

Commendable for his young age...most rely on parents for solutions when face with issues...

I’ll buy a few if he really sells $1 for one...battery sold separately is fine with me.

Edited by mersaylee
  • Praise 1

Is it similar to this? I have been using this for so many years for my night runs. There are already many such products in the market actually.

https://www.nathansports.com/products/strobelight-led-clip

Frankly, to call it an invention seems a bit far fetch as there is nothing innovative or novel about this device/concept. Probably a DIY project for show and tell to the class is more appropriate. Looking at the exhibit booth, it seems there is also a fair bit of adult intervention in the entire conceptualisation, design and development process.

• Praise 1

???

Those are low tech w/o LED. If the PMD don switch on their headlight, no reflection, PMD unable to see you. His is with LED, even when there is a piece of stone on the ground, he can see the stone and avoid. 

Turbocharged

Talk about PMD being an international nuisance.

I thought the child mentioned cyclist, what does it have to do with PMD?

What is wrong with the lighting logo? I guess beside Singaporean, no one will bother to look at the logo on the shirt.
  • Praise 5

This young Singapore boy do us proud in US invention Convention 2019! [thumbsup] [THUMBSUP]

Award Name Invention Country

Kindergarden: 1st Place Charles Smith Benge Beacon United States

Kindergarden: 2nd Place Chua Howe Run Night Patch Singapore

http://inventionconvention.org/blog/2019/06/05/2019-invention-convention-u-s-nationals-award-winner/

https://www.zaobao.com.sg/zvideos/news/story20190721-974305?fbclid=IwAR18cTlrn02OBUKrlYW8SrFEHECflT1_sP0tdv3hSvos_UchCw3P3zVn9vc

For a 5 year old (or 4.5 to be exact), I think he made his presentation well. There are problem statement, ideal, trial material and a raw finished product (it will be a complete failure if he is holding a "polished" / production ready product in hand)

Hope with the experience and exposure he had gained, he can come up with more creation in the near future. For those that think his invention is nothing, try to recall what were you doing at his age. I am not afraid to admit that I'm still learning to write a word using a HB pencil.

It’s the entire process...from having a concern, to think of a possible solution, to try out different methods and materials, to the eventual result which may just help others alongside self satisfaction...not so much of invention per say.

Commendable for his young age...most rely on parents for solutions when face with issues...

I’ll buy a few if he really sells $1 for one...battery sold separately is fine with me.

I concur. It is not just about the invention, but the systematic approach towards problem solving. With his achievement, more are likely to take a second look at the STEMIE framework.

STEMIE is a new education framework that elevates youth invention and entrepreneurship education to a core part of K-12 education. STEMIE stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math linked to Invention and Entrepreneurship (STEM+I+E) and maps essential unstructured problem-solving teaching activities to core STEM curricula and standards. The STEMIE framework also allows for the standalone teaching of invention and entrepreneurship outside of STEM – enabling all kids to learn life-long critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

https://youtu.be/HvrCyIZb5q8

I think the father let him watched this before lah.

Wah this one damn nice, the movement and light sequencing are very well synchronized!

Watching it is one thing, having the light bulb on top of the head  [idea]  is another. Even if I get my teenage kids to watch it 10 times, I am sure nothing will come out from them. [blush]

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

If you find it useful, his idea is a good one. A very good start for a 5 year old boy.

Itâs the entire process...from having a concern, to think of a possible solution, to try out different methods and materials, to the eventual result which may just help others alongside self satisfaction...not so much of invention per say.

Iâll buy a few if he really sells $1 for one...battery sold separately is fine with me.

I believe the idea is his, but he was guided by adult (teachers and his parents) with his presentation, as well as the presentation materials.

I would buy if he sell it from $1. It is nothing to us, but a strong encouragement to him.

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

Is it similar to this? I have been using this for so many years for my night runs. There are already many such products in the market actually.

https://www.nathansports.com/products/strobelight-led-clip

Frankly, to call it an invention seems a bit far fetch as there is nothing innovative or novel about this device/concept. Probably a DIY project for show and tell to the class is more appropriate. Looking at the exhibit booth, it seems there is also a fair bit of adult intervention in the entire conceptualisation, design and development process.

It is like in our NS days, we have this WIT program, and every platoon or section are required to submit something every month.

Some of our "invention" was merely using a tool for different purpose and we still get recognized for the "out of box" thinking.

Yes, LED blinking light has been around for sometime, and more commonly used by cyclists, but this detachable LED light patch by this young boy is of a different "category", thus an invention.

• Praise 7

Turbocharged

For a 5 year old (or 4.5 to be exact), I think he made his presentation well. There are problem statement, ideal, trial material and a raw finished product (it will be a complete failure if he is holding a "polished" / production ready product in hand)

Hope with the experience and exposure he had gained, he can come up with more creation in the near future. For those that think his invention is nothing, try to recall what were you doing at his age. I am not afraid to admit that I'm still learning to write a word using a HB pencil.

I concur. It is not just about the invention, but the systematic approach towards problem solving. With his achievement, more are likely to take a second look at the STEMIE framework.

STEMIE is a new education framework that elevates youth invention and entrepreneurship education to a core part of K-12 education. STEMIE stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math linked to Invention and Entrepreneurship (STEM+I+E) and maps essential unstructured problem-solving teaching activities to core STEM curricula and standards. The STEMIE framework also allows for the standalone teaching of invention and entrepreneurship outside of STEM â enabling all kids to learn life-long critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Wah this one damn nice, the movement and light sequencing are very well synchronized!

Watching it is one thing, having the light bulb on top of the head [idea] is another. Even if I get my teenage kids to watch it 10 times, I am sure nothing will come out from them. [blush]

Is STEMIE thought in all Kindergarden, or only at PCF?

Is there a similar program for primary school students?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7