Battery replacement for my Aveo?

Spango

Hi folks! I am currently planning for battery replacement and am looking for a maintenance free battery for my Aveo. Are there any good recommendations around? I am looking for a 55 to 65AH maintenance free (non-wet) type with battery status indicator that fits into my Aveo bracket. Currently, I am using the Delkor 55AH maintenace free battery with indicator, and it has been serving me well for the past 18 months. Is this brand good? Should I get back this brand? Should I just get it at Starsauto during my next servicing coming up in a few weeks time? Is it going to be very much more expensive than outside?

If not, what are your recommendations with considerations to the followings:

- Battery brand;

- Reliability of Shop (inclusive of installation);

- Price;

- Rating of battery (no ICE, just the stock set);

- Location of the shop;

Alternatively, as I am an AAS member, should I just wait for it to die one fine day, and call AA to replace? What are their charges, and do I still get to choose my battery?

I know I can use the search, and I've been keeping an eye on the battery threads. However, I feel that these things changes very fast:

- reliable shops can become unreliable overnight;

- Battery quality may change overnight;

- Prices of batteries may change over time;

- I am not Luke;

- The force isn't with me;

Hopefully, you all can help this clueless soul make a hassle free change of battery and keep it going for the next 18 months. Thanks! [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement

I think the more the merrier, but I heard that if you get a too high rating battery, your alternator may not be able to fully charge the battery... [sweatdrop]

Hi folks! I am currently planning for battery replacement and am looking for a maintenance free battery for my Aveo. Are there any good recommendations around? I am looking for a 55 to 65AH maintenance free (non-wet) type with battery status indicator that fits into my Aveo bracket. Currently, I am using the Delkor 55AH maintenace free battery with indicator, and it has been serving me well for the past 18 months. Is this brand good? Should I get back this brand? Should I just get it at Starsauto during my next servicing coming up in a few weeks time? Is it going to be very much more expensive than outside?

If not, what are your recommendations with considerations to the followings:

- Battery brand;

- Reliability of Shop (inclusive of installation);

- Price;

- Rating of battery (no ICE, just the stock set);

- Location of the shop;

Alternatively, as I am an AAS member, should I just wait for it to die one fine day, and call AA to replace? What are their charges, and do I still get to choose my battery?

I know I can use the search, and I've been keeping an eye on the battery threads. However, I feel that these things changes very fast:

- reliable shops can become unreliable overnight;

- Battery quality may change overnight;

- Prices of batteries may change over time;

- I am not Luke;

- The force isn't with me;

Hopefully, you all can help this clueless soul make a hassle free change of battery and keep it going for the next 18 months. Thanks! [thumbsup]

Hi Spango,

I have the same Delkor battery, driving a Aveo. Where do you change your battery? I called up Starsauto. they are charging $178 for the same battery including installation and GST. Quite Ex.

do you know where can I change, at somewhat reasonable price?

SA told me the battery itself cost $135 and labour cost $28. Don't understand why labour so expensive just to unscrew and put back the battery.

I wanted to look for Delkor distributor in Singapore cannot find. YHI corporation selling PUMA battery fitted for Aveo at $115 nett price. But they located at Pandan road. Damn far from my place. I am from the east side.

Have you tried other brands before?

Prior to this change, I was using the Yuasa 70AH battery.... Actually I changed to that battery after starting this thread... Cost me $105 back then... Served me well from 2005 to 2007 when Starsauto informed me that the battery is dying and advised me to have it changed when I sent my car in for servicing.... [sweatdrop]

Dear guys, if you can, go for the traditional battery not the maintenance free type. Min is 60 AH but no need higher than 70 AH. Basically, you should not swtich on anything before starting or stopping the engine, especially aircon.

Of course buying a better brand battery helps. Traditionally, some better brand batteries last at least 3 years. If you have to start and stop you engine at short distance, plan for battery replacement ever 1.5 to 2 years. AA battery cost more of course but they bring it all the way to you and change it for you hor.

One more thing, if you are buying a new battery, do ask for receipt and keep it for a year. Sometimes, it is gone before the 1 year warranty.

I'm not a Chevy owner but just to share with you my recent experience. I drove conveniently into this corner shop near Ubi Techpark cos they had Amaron batteries displayed outside. I went in to ask for Amaron 55 or 60AH battery and they told me no stock and hard sell me AURORA instead. They emphasized that it's 60 (Pointed to the big 60 on the box for me to see) and tell me it's so much cheaper too.

I have a big problem with counter-recommendations especially so on products that I have not heard or done research on, so I rejected his offer and walked around his workshop. That guy left me alone (And the box on his table). On closer examination, I looked at the box and read it. Although it stated 60 on the box, that was actually the MODEL NUMBER! The real specs were only 48ah (Indicated in smaller print on other areas of the box). I felt disgusted & left. Walked a few steps to their neighbour, Leong Seng (If I remember correctly)and bought my brand new Amaron, fuss free at $125.

Edited by Firespitter

Yeah, it is good to check around first before buying. Although some brands are almost of the same standard, dealer tends to push brands that they are sellling well due to the quota they can achieved. This is very similar to TV, fridge, air con etc.

Best to go for something proven and you have used before.

Neutral Newbie

Not alot of workshop will stock chevy car battery cos its one of a kind...which is a so call Din55R/Din60R battery..other sizes maybe too high and the bonnet cannot close...So far only Gen2 and chevy uses this size..

I know GP-Panasonic brand can fit Chevy cars. Used them 2x already. Change them every 2 years. Mine is mostly stop-go traffic.

Hey bro, for Aveo, note that the battery is L-type. Means that battery is fitted on the left.

Not all shops carry the L-type, so make sure you ask first.

Most japanese cars are the R-type. So if you dont say, they may assume yours is R-type.

↡ Advertisement