Volvo S40

Icebird

I noticed some relatively new (1 yr old or so) Volvo S40s selling around $90k. How come so cheap (ie. depreciate so much)? Is it a lousy car?

I heard maintenance of Volvo cars are expensive but if still within warranty period of 3 yrs, should be safe? Any thoughts?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

$90k for a one year old Volvo S40 is not cheap.

Got a colleague get it for $99998 brand new.

When buying Volvo, cannot look at the list price, it is always very high, for S40 could be as high as $118k.

Got to go down showroom to go through the sums.

First 1-2 yrs depreciation is very high, esp for Conti in general. So if you are looking for S40, second hand is very good value provided the first owner took reasonable good care of car.

Within the 3 years, you do not have to fork out a single cent for maintenance.

Neutral Newbie

"Within the 3 years, you do not have to fork out a single cent for maintenance."

DUH, I hope u r joking [laugh]

90k not cheap for 2nd hand lor. There was a promotion sometime back and some units were sold at $99k.

Why do you think I am joking? I for one have not paid for 2 yrs already. 3 yrs free warranty and free parts. Engine oil also no charge. [hur]

90k is not cheap, but should compare from current new car price and compare depreciation. I do not monitor the car market price but am aware prices went up in general. Resale value surely big drop compared to Japanese cars. The S60 T5 price dropped as low as 128k, but it was back to 145k+ range last time I asked just few weeks ago.

Neutral Newbie

Really ah? [sweatdrop] U driving the T5 or the 2.4L?

Perhaps those SM motors horror stories i heard were just plain rumours then.

What Fourth said is true [:)] Most Volvos come with 3 yrs free maint..my family hasn't forked out a single cent so far on our 3+ yr old S40 when maint is concerned. As for the SM horror stories, I dunno what you have heard. But after experiencing the service rendered by C&C and SM, I will say SM is the better one. Not many ADs out there offer the same level of services by SM, to be honest with you.

Mine's a S60 T2.0, not T5 unfortunately. I am not saying the cars are trouble free, but it truly will not cost you a cent during the free warranty/parts period. Repairs, if needed, may cost quite a bit after the 3 years, but we don't really expect them to be very cheap do we?

Also, our experience with SM service has been nothing short of wonderful. Their quarterly activities goes very well with my family. I have not experience with other conti like Merc or BMW, but I really doubt if they can ever match SM's service.

I am not saying there won't be any unhappy customers, but truly speaking from my heart and from my experience, I am enjoying every bit of my car ownership. Am I worried about maintenance after 3 years? Probably. Will I go back to SM for next car? Definitely possible.

I bot brand new S40 2.4l at launch 6yrs ago.

Price $126k (special moonroof indent)

Mileage 31,000 only

sold for $73k

Loss in 2yrs 10mths $53k

So if you want to buy brand new car and not lose so much, dont be itchy backside like me. hahah

Hi all; just purchased Volvo S40 recently. Anybody know where can i add rear lip and side skirts for volvo S40?

Try autovox, they used to carry heico products for Volvo last time.

Mine's a S60 T2.0, not T5 unfortunately. I am not saying the cars are trouble free, but it truly will not cost you a cent during the free warranty/parts period. Repairs, if needed, may cost quite a bit after the 3 years, but we don't really expect them to be very cheap do we?

Also, our experience with SM service has been nothing short of wonderful. Their quarterly activities goes very well with my family. I have not experience with other conti like Merc or BMW, but I really doubt if they can ever match SM's service.

I am not saying there won't be any unhappy customers, but truly speaking from my heart and from my experience, I am enjoying every bit of my car ownership. Am I worried about maintenance after 3 years? Probably. Will I go back to SM for next car? Definitely possible.

Yes amongst conti, SM stands out for service

Neutral Newbie

tried calling autovox, heico but they do not have bodykits for Volvo S40. And i head it's very expensive to install there. anybody got any recommendation or have installed before for your Volvo? thanks

tried calling autovox, heico but they do not have bodykits for Volvo S40. And i head it's very expensive to install there. anybody got any recommendation or have installed before for your Volvo? thanks

I guess it's becos the demand is really low.

majority of Volvo drivers dont really mod their cars.

although I know of a couple from the Volvo forum who do a good job on theirs.

looks like you'll have to get it from SM or import yourself.

Either ways too expensive and pointless.

save your money lah bro

Neutral Newbie

ya...thinking of giving up too. normally rear lip cost less than S$300 only, not changing the whole rear bumper. think it's difficult to find it in Singapore.

Hi all; just purchased Volvo S40 recently. Anybody know where can i add rear lip and side skirts for volvo S40?

May I know how much you paid for it?

What is the car you are driving now and how old?

How much you trade in your car?

Thanks. All these info will help me to decide whether to change my car.

Neutral Newbie

paid abt S$90K for the volvo but that was abt 6 mths ago. scrap my corolla coz was already 10 yrs.

Now looking for workshop to add rear lip and side skirts. seem like no workshop do bodykit for Volvo unless customize and it is very expensive.

paid abt S$90K for the volvo but that was abt 6 mths ago. scrap my corolla coz was already 10 yrs.

Now looking for workshop to add rear lip and side skirts. seem like no workshop do bodykit for Volvo unless customize and it is very expensive.

oh congrats! is yours fl? 2.0 or 2.4 or t5?

↡ Advertisement