What happened to this model of toyota corona - not big butt

Glyuen

i rmb seeing a lot of these coronas when i was younger. looks very executive and nice, even by today's standards.

just find it strange that i seldom see this one the roads and there is not even a single one on sale in sgcarmart. only have the big butt version which is older..

any idea wad happen to most of these coronas in singapore?

Premio%20Tom%20rr.jpg

↡ Advertisement

My dad used to drive this model. 1.6L, manual transmission, didn't come with leather seats, dark blue in colour. Yep, it costs almost $120K then. [sweatdrop]

Didn't like the car.

Edited by Fcw75

i rmb seeing a lot of these coronas when i was younger. looks very executive and nice, even by today's standards.

just find it strange that i seldom see this one the roads and there is not even a single one on sale in sgcarmart. only have the big butt version which is older..

any idea wad happen to most of these coronas in singapore?

Premio%20Tom%20rr.jpg

I agree. This is a handsome car.

This car is also toyota's basis for the IS200/IS300 when Lexus wanted to build a 3 series competitor.

Singapore's missing link of cars - around the period where the economy was booming and COE prices were damn high...

Around this time, there were many interesting cars like the Lancer MR, Skyline GTR, Silvia, Evo 4-7, Galant VR4, etc that all got exported, when their owners discovered they could trade in their cars against a new car for no cash outlay due to their cars' high paper value.

More cars especially the > 1,600cc class like CG-series Accord, A32-seriesCefiro and SV10-series Camry also disappeared from Singapore roads.

The only cars that I see enduring from that period of time are mostly Honda Civics.

yeah lor. damn high parf, damn high COE too. for some that kena accident, still kena written off even when the damage is not so serious.

Edited by Relagsingh

Neutral Newbie

The first sucessful Corona was the Corona CD. That was in 1989 - I think.

The Second even more successful Corona was the Corona GLi - 1994 - I think

This is new version after the Corona GLi - which in my opinion is the ugliest thing on earth that killed the Corona brand in Singapore. [thumbsdown]

Actually it was the Camry that sealed its fate, but this version singlehandedly handed Toyota's popularity in the executive class car segment to Honda and evenryone else - on a silver platter. [nod]

Yup i prefer the BIG butt coronathumbsup.gif than this Premio aka Corona thumbsdown.gif

The big butt is spacious than torquey....can move off at 2nd gear liao.

Its during those years ...its a handsum car,but now ,drown to become ugly car laugh.gif

Time fly

Neutral Newbie

Yeah - Time sure flies . Indeed The "Big Butt" Corona GLi had a torquey engine and was superfun as a manual. [thumbsup]

It was actually still a very good looking car when it bacame "COE" car - but too many were bought cheaply and kenna "zhng" until jia lart jia lart. [thumbsdown]

In fact - its funny that the less successful direct rival, the Nissan Presea is still surviving on SG roads today, but very few to none GLi left.

Probably that time the rebates were too attractive(since it was sold at so high $$) for owners to "keep" the cars so come 3 yrs N majority exported....

No comment on Presea as not sure of its $$

Those who still want to eye at big butt cat A cars can consider Premio which was mentioned as replacement of Corona (don't know why abandon Corona after it started since 60s).

For more sporty look can go for Allion.

Both have 1.5 and 1.8 version engine.

But only PI have it. So far only Allion (new ver) came in for 2007. For the 2004 or before model the 1.8 Premio sold more.

Edited by Tanjkp
↡ Advertisement