Advice needed: Volkswagen Golf GTi

(edited)

Hi all

I am considering changing to a continental ride. I am looking at 3 dr Golf GTi. My wife says 5 door easier to access the rear seats and ferry people. However I love the styling of the 3-door. Looks more compact and sporty. We have no kids and I don't really like to ferry people around. We go grocery shopping once a while and the boot space is adequate for our lifestyle. We also love to go for driving holidays up North occasionally. Currently I am driving a 4 dr 2L Jap saloon. I also looked at 2nd hand car market for Golf GTi, not alot are selling though.

For new ride, I realized that PI pricing is 20k cheaper than AD version. Anybody know the difference between these versions? Warranty is the only thing I can think of.

Another thing is the maintenance. Are continental rides more difficult and expensive to service and maintain than jap cars? On top of this, the Golf GTi is turbocharged, how reliable is the engine and turbo? Can last me 5 years at least? Are turbo cars more difficult and tedious to maintain? I don't mod my rides.

Priced at 120k+, is the Golf GTi pedigree priced reasonably? I am in no rush to change ride now. Hope mcf bros can give me some advise and share your experiences.

[flowerface]

Edited by Thermodynamics
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Having owned 3 doors and 4 doors before, in a certain way, it's true that 3 doors can be less friendly.

But when people tell me, ferrying kids in a 3 doors car are too troublesome. I always replied, it's good, cos the kids got no door handles to pull in the rear! It's safer! [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

continental rides more difficult and expensive to service and maintain than jap cars - by experience yes.

the Golf GTi is turbocharged, how reliable is the engine and turbo - check out how many 5 year vw's are there on the road as a gauge.

Can last me 5 years at least? of course

Are turbo cars more difficult and tedious to maintain? No - just follow manufacturer advice

My wife says 5 door easier to access - she's right

I love the styling of the 3-door -you're right

We have no kids and I don't really like to ferry people around. We go grocery shopping once a while and the boot space is adequate for our lifestyle. - count the number of times you open the rear doors, then speak to your wife again. if ferrying people and you're driving, she's the one who has to get out (safer).

We also love to go for driving holidays up North occasionally. Currently I am driving a 4 dr 2L Jap saloon - should not affect your choice. driver more important than car.

I also looked at 2nd hand car market for Golf GTi, not alot are selling though - new 7 gear DSG coming I'd expect you'll get some good discounts in the used market. be patient.

For new ride, I realized that PI pricing is 20k cheaper than AD version. Anybody know the difference between these versions? Warranty is the only thing I can think of - internal trim and gadgets eg electric seats. every pi batch may be different, just be detailed and take the time.

priced at 120k+, is the Golf GTi pedigree priced reasonably? vw's are the equivalent of hondas - non premium cars. then again prices in singapore never logical - its about affordability not value.

You are right. But that is only applicable to kids that can climb in and out of car themselves, i.e. for toddlers. But strictly not for 0-2yr old.

Neutral Newbie

www.vagsg.com

Ask from folks who own one. At least they can tell you the 7 speed DSG box is catered to a different market, the real reason why the new GTI is launching ahead of schedule and, PI vs AD.

3 dr GTI attracts the same insurance premium as opposed to the 5 dr, an additonal info for you wink.gif

Get the 3-door while you still can. If not, when your kids grow up, probably won't have chance already. Unless you're rich enough to own a couple of rides. [cool]

3-dr no electric seat, 5-dr with electric seat.

If u are the only driver then no diff, just an added pointer.

by the way, the price from AD shd be around 118k and recently there was a "so-called" limited edition with less features was offered at 105k by AD.

You may want to chk it out at the AD.

[drivingcar]

Personally i feel that you buy this sort of cars with your heart. On another note, while having a b-road drive some other cars, heard that one of them had a GTI replaced by AD after experiencing some engine problem.. Not too sure what exactly. So personally, i feel it's safer to buy from AD.

Not sure should I go for this outgoing 6-speed model or wait for the new 7-speed model. I always have a habit of buying outgoing models due to lower price.