Jonbummer

Neutral Newbie

can this be used as a precedent for those 'ricers'

who caused death of innocents?

which is worse?

use handphone and beat red light, then killed someone

or some arses ricers thinking they are the kings of the road,

speed and then killed someone or 2?

in any case, jail term and fine cannot bring back a life.

[shakehead]

--------

Editor jailed 18 months for fatal crash

By Khushwant Singh

A NEWSPAPER editor was sentenced to 18 months jail on Thursday for maiming a motorcyclist and causing the death of his pillion rider on Christmas Eve two years ago.

Lim Hong Eng, 56, of Shin Min Daily News, was jailed 18 months for causing the death of pillion rider Melania Melaniawati, 24, and six months for grievously hurting the Indonesian maid's employer David Jermais Pattiselanno.

The sentences will run concurrently. She could have been jailed up to five years and fined.

Her lawyer Subhas Anandan said the sentences were 'manifestly excessive' and served notice to appeal.

(is SUBHAS aware that her client killed someone becuase of her action!?? [mad] )

Lim was granted $20,000 bail on the two charges.

She also faces another charge of driving while using a cellphone, for which a pre-trial conference will be held on Sept 11. Bail of $3,000 was given for this count.

On that rainy Christmas Eve in 2006, Lim's car hit Mr Pattiselanno's motorcycle at the junction of Whitley and Dunearn roads.

Mr Pattiselanno, 70, had stopped along Dunearn Road to wait for the lights to change before proceeding to buy festive goodies.

When he tried to move forward, his motorbike was hit by Lim's Toyota Wish multi-purpose vehicle.

The impact flung him off his machine and he broke his leg. The retiree still needs crutches today to move about.

DPP Ng had, during the trial, told the court that Lim ran a red light and hit the motorcycle. She also failed to keep a proper lookout.

He added that Lim was also on her cellphone while driving.

A witness had testified that she saw Lim with her left hand to the side of her face, and that Lim was holding her cellphone when she emerged from her car after the crash and made a call.

The witness called the police at 3.48pm. Telephone records show that Lim called her son at home at around that time.

Lim denied beating the lights and using a phone. She claimed she had raised her hand to her cheek as she was in a state of shock.

She also denied being in a hurry, but DPP Ng said Lim had told the court she had a spa appointment at Raffles Town Club at 3.45pm.

She was, therefore, probably concerned about being late.

↡ Advertisement

wat.... only 18mths + fine???

no revoke license????? no suspen????

wat the hell..... if drive honda civic or evo... sure kantong... is this fair.....

wah lao, STOPPED AT TRAFFIC LIGHT, still can get knocked down.

lucky got witness to testify lor.

if not nobody will know that she using handphone and beat the red light.

then she could probably say the other vehicle was speeding. [sweatdrop]

not in a rush?

her spa session will probably be cut short due to being late.

Turbocharged
The witness called the police at 3.48pm. Telephone records show that Lim called her son at home at around that time.

Lim denied beating the lights and using a phone. She claimed she had raised her hand to her cheek as she was in a state of shock.

The court did not accept her explanation about the hand phone?

Turbocharged

Will her job be affected by the sentence?

I am not sure if the press holdings operate the same way as civil service.

how abt the handphone?i think he must also ban for using handphone for 10 years. [sly]

and another 10yrs from spa ... to be run consecutively! [mad]

Neutral Newbie

i do not know if her job is affected.

but i do know that there seemingly no charges against her

on LYING to the police investigator.

killed someone already still have to cheek to LIE that she's

in a shock thus raising her hand.

if, and i hope never, i hit someone i will be saying sorry sorry

anyway, it must be the farking lawyer who teached her to design

a story. now shouldn't be both the arses be hauled back to court,

and be charge with contempt.

it's a tragedy, i say. both affected family lost one parent.

but one is lost forever untimely undeserving,

the other locked up for a long time and hopefully guilt ridden forever.

Neutral Newbie

all these working 'taitai' supposedly can have ahh the time

to indulge and relak mah

got special bo??? i dunno

she can have all SPECIAL in prison, i think!

Neutral Newbie

more on it:

She still faces a charge of using a cellphone while driving on the day that she had the accident.

It is not known yet if Lim, who has been with Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) for 32 years, will stay on in her job.

SPH spokesman Chin Soo Fang said: 'The company's stance would depend on the nature and severity of the offence, as well as the length of the jail term. It is not our policy to disclose internal staff matters to the public.'

blatant lying! already got telco records that she indeed made a call.

go ahead appeal...if kena increase sentence, she simply deserves it! thumbsdown.gif

That is the BIG problem with most Sinkie women, they will blame everyone except themselves...see this most common in divorces cases besides these... and so stupid as to not know that at the appropximate time of the accident , the telco have record of call from her hp!

Her lawyer is also Farked up, called himself a top criminal lawyer! [laugh]

At least advise her to own up and show sincere remorse, at least judge might..I say might go easier on her on sentencing!

Serves her right...hope High Court on appeal, up her sentence to 24 months and life ban from driving on the roads! [laugh]