Renault Megane 1.6(A) a good car?

Civic6656

Yo bros and sis,

I'm planning to change to a conti ride and was crossed between a Renault Megane 1.6(A) or a VW Jetta 1.6(A). Any experience and comments for these cars?

I owned a Renault 5 before but that was donkey years back. I should say this car has lotsa problems. Everyweek squat at the workshop waiting for it to be repaired. Has Renault improved over the years?

Thanks! [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

try asking at RCC (renault car club). Some have problems, but there also those either with high mileage/close to 5yrs, with little problem apart from the usual wear and tear.

RCC

Personally, I feel, with the current price, it is a very good buy. Equipment level is high, aftersales is generally good, etc...

Edited by Silver_blade

(edited)

Having a megane 1.6A as family car. Almost 4 yr old now.

So far no major problems except having irritating power windows problems. Not very reliable mechanism they have apparently.

Be sure to change the stock battery. Changed 2 batteries within the first 2 yrs of ownership [rifle]

Oh ya...engine mounting also changed once. Lucky still under warranty else damage is arnd 600-800$ [sweatdrop]

Edited by Rickster

I think this last batch of Megane should have most of the bugs ironed out liow.

Renault cars are comfy to drive but there will still be nitty gritty stuff but dun think anything major.

Renaults of old used to have problems with their power windows, sensor problem and transmission issues amongst other problems.

I remembered one episode of Fifth gear where they showed it's practically impossible to change the headlamp lightbulb easily. Bascially you got to remove quite a lot of the bumper etc to reach the lightbulb, and mostly you will have to go back to the dealer to do it. IIRC, the AA guy took about an hour to do it. Maybe it's available on youtube, you can search for it.

Oh I think Renault cars all got 5 star ncap.

(edited)

What??? Engine mounting cost so much? I thot it is supposed to last easily 5 years? OMG! [sweatdrop]

Thats right. For jap cars, its probably half the price only.

If u r looking to get a conti ride. U muz prepare $ aside to upkeep it.

Its sad but true - to have 100% problem free is not possible for ANY of the conti brands. Even Ferraris & Porkers r not spared [drivingcar]

BTW hav u ever owned a conti ride? If not, y do u want to change to a conti ride?

Edited by Rickster

U no scare the gearbox kaput on u? VWs r infamous for that [lipsrsealed]

the idea of having an DSG gearbox puts that off for a while! [laugh]

(edited)

Yeah a R5 before in my younger days. [laugh]

It gave me lots of joy and sadness.

Joy = Did 100+Km/h on the Alexandra road towards Labrador w/o problem. A lancer besides me try to do the same but skidded (catch snake). :blink:

Sadness = Every week need to visit workshop, to change this repair that... :wacko:

Hope the latest batch of Megane had all the problems ironed out by now. 2002 to 2009 = 7 years model!

Edited by Civic6656

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Looking at the change Bulb Video, would you still want to buy a Renault?

My boss is driving a Renault Megane for 2 years. The model with

Clear Rear Signal Lamp. He bought for slightly over $60K but has

been to workshop almost every month. Recently, he complained

that his Air-plane Style Handbrake could not be engaged properly.

He send to AD and was told it takes 1 whole day to repair and

ask him to arrange for another appt to bring in when the workshop opens. [sweatdrop]

He tried to go around asking those neighbour workshop for advice

and they all refer him to go back AD.

Edited by Godfinger

Neutral Newbie

Had a Megane Coupe 5 yrs ago bought brand new. 1st 12 mths car leak from both doors whenever it rains. Send to AD 4 times but cannot solve problem. After 12 mths engine and transmission electronics give problem. Almost every month (sometimes twice in a month) send to workshop but electronic problems still continue. Also leak problem still cannot solve for both doors. Gave up after 18 mths and sold the car.

OK lah say after 5yrs Renault improve 100% - so maybe now leak from 1 door and only go to workshop once every 2 mths. Or maybe they improve 200-300 percent. I dunno and don't want to know [sleeping]

was tat small little unit wit mechanical gear lever hiding some where in centre of consle, next to instrument meters ?

jz recalled R1O, later R12, then R17 wit then AD progressive motor housed in orchard rd, facing e hindu temple) front wheel drive, electric radiator fan......oooh tat was early 197O, time flies.......old liow !

↡ Advertisement