Used Oil Analysis

Yuan

As I will be sending my car for servicing, I like to do an analysis on my used oil for my car. A couple of questions I like to ask forummers include:

1) Does the workshop perform the UOA?

2) What do we tell the workshop?

3) How much it cost to do the UOA?

4) If doing the UOA is separate from the workshop, how will the workshop separate my used oil from other cars' used oil and who do we send the UOA to? How much used oil is needed?

5) How long does it take for the result of the UOA?

Hope to hear from fellow forummers who had done their UOA before and can advise me accordingly.

Thanks and cheers!

Edited by Yuan
↡ Advertisement

Don't think any workshop in SG does UOA. You will need to collect the oil when draining out the old engine oil and send it to the US for analysis. I have used Blackstone before. Google for their website to find out more like the cost, what they test and the lead time required.

Get a UOA kit and follow the instructions accordingly. When you drain the oil (from a warmed up engine), don't immediately fill up the container, wait until you see a steady stream (about 5-10s after you unscrew drain plug) before you collect the oil.

Frankly it's a wast of money to do a detail analysis of the used oil for passeger cars. This practice is widely used in Construction Machineries, Industrial Diesel and Marine engines where a unplanned downtime can cause project delay and that means loss of money and idling manpower.

I have never done UOA for my car before, but I read from BITOG forum that there are cases where UOA did not register any problem but the engine internal was discovered damage during overhaul. So don't depend too much on UOA. There is also a thread in BITOG where a VOA is done by three different companies, and the results were very different.

My working experience we have done UOA for machinery. I would say results are not that accurate in telling the machinery condition. Depending on where and when sampling was done, the same equipment UOA can indicate both "Normal" and "Critical" at the same time.

IMHO, UOA is good for telling the oil condition, but not so accurate in telling how the machinery is doing. Useful info from UOA is perhaps TBN, viscosity, water content and contamination?

Frankly it's a wast of money to do a detail analysis of the used oil for passeger cars. This practice is widely used in Construction Machineries, Industrial Diesel and Marine engines where a unplanned downtime can cause project delay and that means loss of money and idling manpower.

Thanks for your sharing. This is informative.

I noted that there are a few people some years ago who did some UOA in this forum.

Thank You very much.

I have never done UOA for my car before, but I read from BITOG forum that there are cases where UOA did not register any problem but the engine internal was discovered damage during overhaul. So don't depend too much on UOA. There is also a thread in BITOG where a VOA is done by three different companies, and the results were very different.

My working experience we have done UOA for machinery. I would say results are not that accurate in telling the machinery condition. Depending on where and when sampling was done, the same equipment UOA can indicate both "Normal" and "Critical" at the same time.

IMHO, UOA is good for telling the oil condition, but not so accurate in telling how the machinery is doing. Useful info from UOA is perhaps TBN, viscosity, water content and contamination?

Yes, I noted those of them from BITOG forum too. [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement