Comment on buying Mitsubishi i

Swataction

Neutral Newbie

hi, i am keen to buy a 2nd car for my wifey for her daily errands and normal usage.. went to test drive Mitsubishi i today and pretty like the feel of the car.

though it is just 656cc but then with turbo engine, it got the power of a 1300cc car.. any brudders here own the car or care to share your comments and experience abt the car?

it is cute and more of a lady car.. thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

btw, here is the spec of the car. come with keyless entry & ignition..

Mitsubishi i Turbo Casual (A) Specifications

Engine

Engine capacity 659 cc

Engine type MIVEC intercooled turbocharger

Compression ratio 8.8

Bore x Stroke (65.4 x 65.4) mm

Power 64 bhp

Torque 94 Nm

Performance

Acceleration unknown

Top Speed unknown

Fuel consumption 18.4 km\L

Misc technical data

Transmission 4-speed (A)

Drive type FWD

Measurements

Dimensions (L x W x H) (3395 x 1475 x 1600)mm

Wheelbase 2,550mm

Min turning radius 4,500mm

Kerb weight 900kg

Fuel tank capacity 35L

Brakes

Brakes (Front) Ventilated discs

Brakes (Rear) Leading/trailiing drum

Suspension

Suspension (Front) Macpherson strut

Suspension (Rear) 3-link dedion axle

Turbocharged

there you said it...it's a tiny car with no practicality....but there this car is not about practicality...

On top of that it's 650cc TC engine with power of a 1.0 lah, but I dunno the modding potential of the car, perhap with tuning can hit 1.3l power...But I ever heard a Mit i with BOV sound...fierce.

But due it's high stance and small width, don't try to do fancy cornering with one car, mit engineers built it with "spacious cabin on small chassis" in mind, not for performance sake.

In my opinion, When I see ppl buy mit i, to me they are not buying a car, they are buying a lifestyle.

Neutral Newbie

hi pocus,

yea i know, not intending to mod it for more power etc.. i think it powerful enough to change lanes effectively and going out the steep orchard ion carpark etc.. i do feel that the CG of this car is high but then it make it comfy for a 1.8m guy to be in the cockpit not compromising too much on the legroom behind

it more for mode of transport for my wifey to do her shopping and from pt A to pt B. she isn't the type that will drive fast or do cornering.. and she just got licence recently hence tinking of just getting a small car for her, cheap road tax, fuel efficient...

i just want to get some feedbck from you guys to check out if there are anything bad abt this car or owners sharing their experiences..

perhaps u can chk out the mit i forum:

http://www.iclubsg.com/

though some may look at it as girly car, i once thot to get a one yr old one for my job dat req me to run around - gd fc, special breed n supposedly cheaper maint. saw metallic purple one w damd body kit n retro leather seat at west coast plaza few days ago, very nice..

Neutral Newbie

Seems like a gd choice for a 2nd car...after all it's in a class of it's own as in there's no other like it.

Hi,

I have been driving mit i for 2 years, absolutely love it. I have driven, plus me 4 adults, the furthest to my uncle's hometown in JB in Kluang and it serves fine, though its not possible to drive more than 100km/h, so...must tahan many cars driving at 110 and above and speed past me. Also, lately, due to gf living in JB in Batu Bahat, drove once a month into JB, about 2hrs continuous ride on the road, no issue.

I spent about $180 every month on petrol (esso 95). No complaints so far, though honestly, you can't put much things behind, so really have to optimize.

Actually, saw quite a few men driving this car lately, also you can see by the colours (black, white) withing nothing on dashboard.

No regrets because its really a happy car. I have considered other more 'worth it' car but Im torn buying something I like and something that is 'practical' / cheaper. In the end, I chose mit i. My 1st car is hyundai getz. I could have chosen kia picanto but there's no 'feel', its almost exactly the same car, same engine, same brand. The driving experience is totally different. Getz is heavier and heavier as well on fuel consumption. With i, its zooms in a second, only 900kg and once hit 2700rpm, Turbo activates and the feel of driving is much better.

Plus, easy to park, cheap on road tax and its like a mini UFO. Not that I treat it as compliments or something but always get commented by people, esp those not familiar with cars about its cuteness, only one wiper and kids love it.

Initially, I have my doubts whether if I get married with kids, will this car be enough but you know....its up to you. I think I can manage even if I have a kid in the future with this car.

Rgds.

Neutral Newbie

hi Elixir,

thanks for sharing your great experience w the car, i myself also dun mind driving the car too..actually i also find it cute as well..

i love feel of turbo kicking in.. but really the car can hit above 100km/h?

btw do u mind sharing how much you pay for ur insurance? i heard insurance premium will b high becos of turbo engine..

i am still comtemplating whether to put under my name or my wifey but she is only 26 and just gotten her licence. whilst for me, i am 30 w 9yrs driving exp but due to 2nd car, my NCD will start from zero?

hi, i am keen to buy a 2nd car for my wifey for her daily errands and normal usage.. went to test drive Mitsubishi i today and pretty like the feel of the car.

though it is just 656cc but then with turbo engine, it got the power of a 1300cc car.. any brudders here own the car or care to share your comments and experience abt the car?

It's a car worth considering, especially for wifey, if you don't mind the premiun over higher cc cars. The price of the mit i can get you newer higher cc korean cars. i like the feel of the car a lot too when i test driven the car. Power wise definitely good enough for city driving. the mickey mouse cluster is cool. I would recommend it. i did not buy this kei car and bought a subaru r2 instead. Price is one issue, the other is my concern with turbo engine. The high rpm for Mit i due to turbo is what makes it a lot faster than r2. This would also mean higher wear and tear rate for the engine. I am not sure of maintenance of turbo engine since i have not own one before. The next concern i had was with a rear mounted engine that is just under the rear passenger seat, might give rear passengers a warm seat (just a guess). Try reving the engine and you will feel the engine roar behind.

The FC of the car is debatable. heard people getting only 12km/l for it.....

Driving ability is great for the car. Design is really nicely done, the curves in all the right places...

Hi,

I have been driving mit i for 2 years, absolutely love it. I have driven, plus me 4 adults, the furthest to my uncle's hometown in JB in Kluang and it serves fine, though its not possible to drive more than 100km/h, so...must tahan many cars driving at 110 and above and speed past me. Also, lately, due to gf living in JB in Batu Bahat, drove once a month into JB, about 2hrs continuous ride on the road, no issue.

I spent about $180 every month on petrol (esso 95). No complaints so far, though honestly, you can't put much things behind, so really have to optimize.

Actually, saw quite a few men driving this car lately, also you can see by the colours (black, white) withing nothing on dashboard.

No regrets because its really a happy car. I have considered other more 'worth it' car but Im torn buying something I like and something that is 'practical' / cheaper. In the end, I chose mit i. My 1st car is hyundai getz. I could have chosen kia picanto but there's no 'feel', its almost exactly the same car, same engine, same brand. The driving experience is totally different. Getz is heavier and heavier as well on fuel consumption. With i, its zooms in a second, only 900kg and once hit 2700rpm, Turbo activates and the feel of driving is much better.

Plus, easy to park, cheap on road tax and its like a mini UFO. Not that I treat it as compliments or something but always get commented by people, esp those not familiar with cars about its cuteness, only one wiper and kids love it.

Initially, I have my doubts whether if I get married with kids, will this car be enough but you know....its up to you. I think I can manage even if I have a kid in the future with this car.

Rgds.

I certainly think the car can drive more than 100km/h, perhaps it's unable to substain that for a few hours. I am sure with kids, you can still drive this car. I have a 1.5 yr old kid, and he is sitting comfortably in the r2. The only issue would be the stroller. Quinny has this zap stroller that folds really small, and it would surely fit into the car. R2 interior space is smaller than Mit i. How much is your insurance? Does the turbo have an impact on your insurance? What about your FC? i am getting 15km/l for 95% city driving for R2.

Frankly speaking, I think a Mit I is not worth the money. I rem tt some time ago, for the money of a Mit I, I can buy a Vios if i top up a few more thousands dollars. To me, it jus don't make sense to pay so much for such a small cc vehicle. Asthetically, don't really find it appealing too. I rather buy a normal swift with that money. There are many other better options in that price range. So if i were you, i ll reconsider again.

Frankly speaking, I think a Mit I is not worth the money. I rem tt some time ago, for the money of a Mit I, I can buy a Vios if i top up a few more thousands dollars. To me, it jus don't make sense to pay so much for such a small cc vehicle. Asthetically, don't really find it appealing too. I rather buy a normal swift with that money. There are many other better options in that price range. So if i were you, i ll reconsider again.

strongly agreed......

besides the road tax and fuel, everything else could cost a lot more than other cars which are cheaper to buy. Then again, it's a lifestyle car....Fiat500 is also a lifestyle car......it is never about making monetary sense in singapore when you buy a kei car. with a 660cc engine, nothing much you can mod.

well, whats there not to like about this car?

i get 15-16km/l (70% city, 30% highway), low road tax, good acceleration, lots of space for 4 adults and a aprica stroller in the boot, easy to park, super tight U-turns when everyone else does 3 points or more. 110km/hr isn't a problem although road noise can be if you hate listening to the radio and love silence. As for insurance, premiums are rising everywhere so its best to scout around. I just paid 1.5k 10%ncd with axa.

Having said that, i got my mit i at 43k last year. seeing how c&c is selling it at 72k atm, i won't get it now.

Edited by Hiphippyhippo

hi pocus,

yea i know, not intending to mod it for more power etc.. i think it powerful enough to change lanes effectively and going out the steep orchard ion carpark etc.. i do feel that the CG of this car is high but then it make it comfy for a 1.8m guy to be in the cockpit not compromising too much on the legroom behind

it more for mode of transport for my wifey to do her shopping and from pt A to pt B. she isn't the type that will drive fast or do cornering.. and she just got licence recently hence tinking of just getting a small car for her, cheap road tax, fuel efficient...

i just want to get some feedbck from you guys to check out if there are anything bad abt this car or owners sharing their experiences..

how much is it selling for?

its more of a lifestyle car. like bB or metaria. i think the i has an edge over r1/2 due to its small turbo. u need tat extra kick cuz the engine is real small.

anyone remember a certain pajero mini turbo or vivio-rxr?

Hi,

I paid SGD 690 just a while ago, from II, wants to protect my NCD but AIG doesn't offer it.

mit i can't really hit about 100km/hr, though I drive at 100km/hr most of the time....hmm...don't care. So kind of torture my little car. If you ramp to 110km/hr, it becomes very noisy and feel like its shaking.

In the end, just buy what you like lah, don't care what pple say. I have my hesitations too....once. But I like the car, and have a great fun driving it, and still feel excited every time I sees it or see other people driving it. So....go ahead if you have really done your sums but if you are looking for space and speed performance car, its not the one for you.

But point A to B, or Singapore to JB, it works fine.

Rgds.

Hi,

I paid SGD 690 recently for Insurance. I don't really calculate my FC, mind teaching me the correct method? I spent about max. SGD 200 per month though 99% of the time, its less than that.

What amazes me is I drove 2hrs at 90km/hr and above into JB and only uses 25% of the petrol (down from full tank).

Rgds.

↡ Advertisement