How do i know the actual RON fuel that i am pumping?

normally when pumping at petrol station, you will just see the label at the pump and just fill up.

so how do i know the RON98 that i am pumping is the actual RON 98 and not some lower grade fuel?

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

I think you worry too much, this sort of thing you also think so much. Life must be very stressful for you. The best solution is to pump the cheapest grade so you won't lugi.

How do you know the kampung chicken that Five Stars is selling is really from Kampung? How do you know that when you order Coke, the drink served to you is not Pepsi?

I have never thought of this.

Why? Do you suspect the integrity of the petrol company that you patronize? If worried, just change to another one.

normally when pumping at petrol station, you will just see the label at the pump and just fill up.

so how do i know the RON98 that i am pumping is the actual RON 98 and not some lower grade fuel?

I think you worry too much, this sort of thing you also think so much. Life must be very stressful for you. The best solution is to pump the cheapest grade so you won't lugi.

How do you know the kampung chicken that Five Stars is selling is really from Kampung? How do you know that when you order Coke, the drink served to you is not Pepsi?

wow I like your answer!!! [thumbsup]

Supercharged

take sample then send to lab for testing lor.

I have never thought of this.

Why? Do you suspect the integrity of the petrol company that you patronize? If worried, just change to another one.

somehow it just crossed my mind when i was refilling myself.

while waiting, i was thinking how do i know if i am pumping the real thing?

- you can't see the fuel going in, even if so, all petrol looks the same.

- you can't drink it and taste the difference(not like coke and pepsi above which both have their own distinctive taste)

(edited)

Singapore don't use RON, US does. The grades (92, 95,98) are octane rating. The higher the rating (say 98 compare to 92) means can prevent premature combustion aka knocking or pinning better, & higher octane grades are usually need only for high end & turbo cars that runs high compression & rpm.

Most sedan works fine with 95 (read manual, or ask technician), & contrary to common believe, higher octane reading doesn't yield better FC or hp.

By the way, all pump gases in Singapore are "branded" (no supermarket brands, like ASDA or Tesco or unknown brands), so you should not worry with the petrol quality at all.

Edited by Kiadaw

Neutral Newbie

Singapore don't use RON, US does. The grades (92, 95,98) are octane rating. The higher the rating (say 98 compare to 92) means can prevent premature combustion aka knocking or pinning better, & higher octane grades are usually need only for high end & turbo cars that runs high compression & rpm.

Most sedan works fine with 95 (read manual, or ask technician), & contrary to common believe, higher octane reading doesn't yield better FC or hp.

By the way, all pump gases in Singapore are "branded" (no supermarket brands, like ASDA or Tesco or unknown brands), so you should not worry with the petrol quality at all.

Err... Wrong SG uses RON rating for petrol.

Anyway, its impossible to tell whats the exact RON value of the petrol unless it sent to labs for analysis.

For the rest of us, the only thing we can do is to look out for signs like detonation/pinging/knocking if our engines are highly tuned. If your car is tuned strictly for RON98 petrol, you will get knocking if you pump 95.

Neutral Newbie

somehow it just crossed my mind when i was refilling myself.

while waiting, i was thinking how do i know if i am pumping the real thing?

- you can't see the fuel going in, even if so, all petrol looks the same.

- you can't drink it and taste the difference(not like coke and pepsi above which both have their own distinctive taste)

I can understand how you feel.

Btw, petrol stations every did put the wrong fuel before in UK. They used RON98 and sell it as RON100.

6th Gear

I like your answer. [thumbsup]

Err... Wrong SG uses RON rating for petrol.

Anyway, its impossible to tell whats the exact RON value of the petrol unless it sent to labs for analysis.

For the rest of us, the only thing we can do is to look out for signs like detonation/pinging/knocking if our engines are highly tuned. If your car is tuned strictly for RON98 petrol, you will get knocking if you pump 95.

yes. we and most of the world use Research Octane Number (RON).

North America uses Road Octane Number (RdON) or Pump Octane Number (PON)

Twincharged

S'pore petrol stations no worries,their H.Q. is very strict about this,hmmm,but for Malaysia,not so sure,the Shell V-Power sold there smell like 92 petrol of S'pore.

You won't know exactly, but I am quite sure you can feel the diff between pumping 95 and 98 when you drive.. 98 feels smoother compared to 95

Very good question actually.

Like someone says when the divery truck still got left over after filling up the 98 underground tank, they may pump into the 95 or 92 underground tanks. And not the other way round.

But had you guys ever wonder what if they still got left over after filling up the 92ron fuel into the 92rkn underground tank? Throw the fuel away? Return back to refinary? Or truck driver secretly sell it to privateer in some shady deal?

Or just pump into the 95 ron underground tank?

Hypersonic

I like your answer. [thumbsup]

:D Thanks. Actually I am not trying to diss him off. What I am trying to say is life here is too stressful liao. This kind of kuching kurap thing don't have to worry so much. There are a thousand more important things to worry about.

As I said, best option is to pump 92 and who knows, they might have added 98 or 95 into the 92 storage tank! [:p]

And please don't smell the petrol, I hope the bro that said it is kidding. Can cause cancer.

Hypersonic

[laugh] I know you are joking bro.

It's the other bro who said V-power of Malaysia smells like 92 of Singapore. How does he knows?? :huh:

↡ Advertisement