Come on in if you are into cheap engine oils...

Ken4555

(edited)

hi all...

all my previous rides even till now... i have always believed in a good oil... i can imagine sludge built up in the engine and i dont want that to happen with a lousy oil used... my last 4 oil services were with OWS NA Racing... i have used before Mobile 1, Shell Helix Ultra, x-REV, spitfire, bizol, KIC oils, liquid moly,idemitsu, Castrol... etc. i have never used mineral or semi-syn oil... always fully syni & I want my car to be fed with oil from at least a company with abit of positive reputation...

until lately... i read and found out about many cheap fully syn oils in the supermarkets... so far reviews have been pretty positive... so i thought to myself...

OWS NA racing 4liters = $135 (average price)

VX Super Syn 5W/40 - 5 liters = $23.80 (promo)

schnell is 4 liters german... $29.90 or $39.90 cant remember...

c@rlube is 5 liters from UK... ($28.90 with engine flush@Giant) or ($38.90 with oil treatment@carrefour) ($50-$60@autobacs)

carrefour also has a full range of the new oil from x-gold or smthing... Giant only 1 from the range but on offer $27 for 5liters basic range one 5W/40.

this VX Super Syn is made in SG... i have purchased 1 btl earlier (note this is only at Carrefour Suntec... Plaza Sing dont have) and will change today thursday afternoon... i will just change the oil... no sparkplug change... no cleaning of my air filter, (also no oil filter change cause no tools to take out filter)... thus i can do a proper test with my butt dyno... haha [laugh]

2.5liters i will need for my sunny... cost=$11.90... for a 5W/40 fully Syn engine oil change...

with $135 ... i can change my engine oil 8 times plus 3 oil filters... i hope this oil is really as good as it looks... so far i've heard c@rlube is ok no problems... Schnell is ok and smooth no problems.... and as i am only using it for 5k OR less, i dont forsee problems... i hope. if its ok i might even change every 4k... haha... the thing is nothing beats a 'new engine oil' drive... so if $11.90 is all i need to get it, why not? more clean oil time for my car should be a good thing right? ^_^

hang on for the results...

post-59875-1276188693_thumb.jpg

post-59875-1276188707_thumb.jpg

post-59875-1276188723_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ken4555
↡ Advertisement

i used this for my getz.. 3k now.. going well.. will be change at 5k too.. i cant comment much btw using a "branded "oil and this.. as i was using c-----e previously.. at least i believed the money saved is well spent on other things/ essentials..

i used this for my getz.. 3k now.. going well.. will be change at 5k too.. i cant comment much btw using a "branded "oil and this.. as i was using c-----e previously.. at least i believed the money saved is well spent on other things/ essentials..

hey hi bro... [wave]

so how was it compared to c@rlube ah? any difference in engine sound? revving of engine? FC?... just your butt feeling will do...

$23.80 so cheap my goodness i have never bought such a cheap oil in my whole life of driving... i am looking forward to my butt dyno test 2molo...

maybe my 3YO getz was too used to c-----e.... wasnt running smoothly eg. engine slightly noiser for the 1st few KM... got the hang of it.. i find it reasonablely ok for that price.. would hv to stick to VX for the next few servicing as i bought 3 bottles during the carefour promo @$18++/bottle.

but as said.. i am a cheepo driver all this while.. should probably get some inputs from other bros here who had switched from "branded" to "budget" :)

maybe my 3YO getz was too used to c-----e.... wasnt running smoothly eg. engine slightly noiser for the 1st few KM... got the hang of it.. i find it reasonablely ok for that price.. would hv to stick to VX for the next few servicing as i bought 3 bottles during the carefour promo @$18++/bottle.

but as said.. i am a cheepo driver all this while.. should probably get some inputs from other bros here who had switched from "branded" to "budget" :)

WHAT YOU BOUGHT IT FOR $18???????????????????????????????????????????????

and i though i had a great deal @ $23.80.... [bigcry]

when you bought ah? the one you got is 5W/40?... if noiser means thinner means FC shd be better... haha.. crazy logic...

anyways thanks for sharing.. happy driving... [drivingcar]

btw if my butt dyno test results good 2molo, you wanna sell me your unopened bottles? $18 i buy from you... then you can use back your c@rlube... [grin]

This oil only API SM, confirm good for alot of Korean and Jap cars.....

But if Conti want cheap oil, c-----e may be a better choice as more certifications (safer)

Just my $0.02

I've tried Shell Helix Ultra, c-----e and VX on my current ride.

From my butt dyno, all 3 brands seems pretty much the same.

In terms of oil temp and oil pressure, these 3 brands don't deviate much. I have read in other local forums people running c-----e for their track days and their oil temps are also similar to other much more expensive brands.

c-----e and VX costs roughly half the price of Shell and they come in 5L bottles as compared to 4L for Shell which is perfect for my ride since it requires about 4.5L of oil.

With the price of c-----e and VX so competitive, you can change oil more frequently which definitely can't be a bad thing for your ride.

There's another brand now at Giant, X-Gold which is also locally manufactured and the bottle is identical to the one for VX. Even the fonts on the label look the same. I suspect they come from the same factory except they are branded differently.

That one goes for around $28 for a 5L bottle.

This oil only API SM, confirm good for alot of Korean and Jap cars.....

But if Conti want cheap oil, c-----e may be a better choice as more certifications (safer)

Just my $0.02

API SM is they say one..... no API starburst, not valid.

(edited)

Why try to save a small amount of $$ which may in turns create more damages to yr very expensive toy unless you intend to scrap it after few yrs of running.

Edited by Yeobh

Actually, engine oil is very very cheap to make...... Most of the $$$ in the price tag goes to marketing and paying the CEO/high ranking people in the company.

As for research..... don't even need to do anything. Just buy the base stock from oil companies (I seen barrels of Shell/Mobil etc oil in Tuas before) and add your own additive package. Don't want to develop your own? Get from companies like Lubrizol lor.

Of course, I am not saying that cheap oil is fantastic stuff and everyone should go for it. I have personally tried c-----e. Its pretty decent but it doesn't last as long compared to Amsoil.

(edited)

If your OCI is 5K, see no harm in using these cheap oils. After all, better to use cheaper oil and change frequently than trying to max out mileage using premium oil. Personally, I don't believe in 15/20K OCI in Singapore. Changing it at 5K or every 6 months whichever comes first is better bet.

Edited by Kangadrool

Why try to save a small amount of $$ which may in turns create more damages to yr very expensive toy unless you intend to scrap it after few yrs of running.

Care to elaborate more? :D

Finally, you are exploring, considering and going into the option of cheaper engine oil. [:p]

I am using c____e. 4k plus already. Not much different. Feels good.

My usual OCI is at 6 or 8k.

(edited)

Some people very funny, every time they pump petrol spend $50-60 also never blink an eye but spend a bit more($60) on good engine oil that last for 10k km(maybe 3-5mth) also want to save.

The mentality is like saying Cherry QQ is as good as Merc because it takes you from point A to point B, then might as well buy a QQ, why get a Sunny? I don't think that Sunny is cheaper than QQ right.

Edited by Shando

I've seen one instance, c-----e + additive, the engine top from the oil refill hole, has a nice golden colour. [cool]