Ferrari 458 Italia recalled over fire risk

Blackseal

After a recent spate of engine fires, Ferrari has officially issued a recall of the 458 Italia.

According to the automaker, an adhesive used to attach a heat shield under the rear fender can ignite under high temperatures, leading to a larger fire in the engine bay. We've seen at least four cases on the internet of flaming 458s like this one, and while we can't say for certain, it would seem this adhesive is the likely cause.

Ferrari has designed a new heat shield that attaches with rivets, negating the need for the adhesive. Naturally, 458 owners are urged to call a dealer to schedule an appointment for the free fix.

↡ Advertisement

Ferrari? Owners need to call dealer? Crazy! They should do onsite repairs

In the first place...this "issue" should not have happened...now that's crazy for a famous horse !

take leave?

Why not just get your chauffer to drive it down to the farrari workshop?

Or get the farrari staff to come and pick it up!

I am sure your time is more precious than to waste on driving to the workshop.

Some more the fire hazard puts your expensive life at stake leh!

If I was in your position I will ask for a full refund and get a safer LFA.

Ferrari catches fire in rush-hour KL traffic
Philippine Daily Inquirer/Asia News Network | Tuesday, Feb 10, 2015
A bright red Ferrari F430 caught fire in busy Kuala Lumpur traffic, and was soon burned to the ground, with little left but its hood and front section. The incident snarled rush-hour traffic in the city as firefighters tried to put out the blaze.
According to a report by New Straits Times, the Ferrari caught fire at around 6pm last Wednesday. The driver and a female companion escaped unhurt, managing to escape the burning sports car.
Responding firemen rushed to the scene but by then most of the car was already destroyed.
The fire apparently started in the rear section, where the engine is located. The incident caused a 2km-long traffic jam in Kuala Lumpur.
A similar incident occurred in the Philippines in 2007, when a Ferrari, also a red F430, caught fire on the South Luzon expressway.

I recalled a mcfer previously saying something like, 'a lambo will catch fire if trapped in city traffic long enough'.

• Praise 2