Volvo S80 1.6T

Alheych

Should be the smallest capacity big car in Singapore right now, going at $159,999.

I think it gains cat A COE advantage and fuel economy. How fast can you go in Singapore to need 2.5?

Do you think this will do well? (no Geely comments, please)

↡ Advertisement

Should be the smallest capacity big car in Singapore right now, going at $159,999.

I think it gains cat A COE advantage and fuel economy. How fast can you go in Singapore to need 2.5?

Why not? It looks good.. It is a luxury sedan.. Confirm will appeal to a lot as many singaporeans like small capacity engine luxury cars..

Bro , you sure S80? S80 smallest 2.0 T le..

Bro , you sure S80? S80 smallest 2.0 T le..

there's a full-page centre spread advert on ST today...

I read the ad too.

180 bhp for 1.6 turbo to pull almost 1.7 tons, well, you got to try to find out how it feels.

Not sure what's the changes inside.

$159999 after rebates.

Introductory price is $169,999. OMV is ard $39k.

The advertised price of $159,999 is with cash rebate from bank financing. But this 1.6l S80 turbo does not come

with the new "Drive e" mode, which is found in the V60.

(edited)

the engine would be working over time every day. think engine wont last too long

Don't think so with 240 Nm at 1600 rpm. The old 2.4 NA had to work harder in comparison.

Edited by LeftRighty

the engine would be working over time every day. think engine wont last too long

maybe there's still a stigma with low cc cars, like when E200 first began with 1.8, and skoda superb introduced a 1.4T.

don't think volvo will introduce an engine that's meant to overwork. there's after all a european market where cars are meant for long haul.

the trend in europe is going towards smaller capacity. but autocar did say that the 1.6TD was struggling when compared to some other smaller model.

About 5 months ago, SM Motors brought in their new S80 2.0T (4 cylinder) GTDi engine with 200 bhp and they were also clearing stock of the 2.5T (5 cylinder) 231bhp. I was interested in the 2.0 GTDi as in the review, it mentioned the engine was more fuel efficient than the 2.5T. The price was fairly similar for both cars. I tested both back to back and prefer the 2.5T because of the better acceleration and nice 5 cylinder engine sound. The downside is higher road tax and higher fuel consumption.

I just clocked 15k and sent for first servicing. Overall a nice and comfortable car, best seat I have sat (I had Merc before and the seat is not as good as Volvo). Handling wise is a bit numb compared to Merc, cannot fight with BMW in terms of handling. But the acceleration of 0-100km/h is 7.5 sec, probably the fastest for this class of car (direct competitor in terms of pricing would be BMW 523i, Merc E200, Jaguar XF 3.0, Audi 2.0T and Lexus GS 300).

I tried all the other competitors, each have its own strength, BMW drives very well, but too expensive for the basic model, Merc was nice, but I wanted a change. Audi A6 is old model, Lexus feels like Camry and Jaguar a bit small inside due to the slopping roof.

Based on my experience of the 2.0GTDi which has a slight turbo lag compared to the 2.5T, I think this 1.6T would have even more turbo lag as the car is quite heavy. If your priority is a safe car, with comfortable seats, then Volvo S80 would be a good choice. But its not a drivers car especially with this 4 cylinder engine.

The V60 T4 has the same engine and it is 1580 kg in weight. When I test drove that couple of weeks ago it never felt sluggish or lagging from the turbo. It was quite nice actually. The only complain is the 4 cylinder engine is a tad rough when the rev goes up. Overall it is a very nice car especially the interior. For now it seems the S80 T4 is the cheaper car. Good deal.

(edited)

perhaps with all these small cap "big"cars, Cat A COEs will be driven up ?

yeah....

if lta is really keen to control road congestions via rdtx system (main problem we have is not so much car ownership, but road congestions), the focus should then to discourage use of large / slow cars by imposing higher rdtx for cars which take up more road space and which slow down traffic flow:- ie higher rdtx for cars which have larger body and/or are underpowered which move slowly especially taking off from green lights (although slow drivers will always move off slowly even if they drive a F1, but overall underpowered cars are still the culprits). Rdtx should not be based on engine capacity but 0-40 or 0-50 timing (critical during stop-go-traffic) as well as torqure rating (which affect hill-climb ability eg up-slope sections on expessways where nowadays some cars slow donw traffic behind due to lack of torque), etc etc. May not be exactly precise here, hope other bros can improve on this concept.

Edited by KARTer
↡ Advertisement