Kia Optima

Yusld

Neutral Newbie

Just saw my neighbor bring home his new car today!!! WoW....very impressive.

Anyone driving this car? Can comment? What's the price huh?

↡ Advertisement

Finally, I checked out the K5 during lunch time.

It looks chio from outside only but the interior is still very Korean aka poor quality (when compared to mid-tiered car). Closely examined the glass roof assembly, the design & workmanship is not desireable.

In fact I hardly find any pros about the interior except that it is loaded with a lot of gadgets. Seats, headroom and comfort are bad.

I could not bother to test drive, so can't tell about the handling.

Walked over to next door Citroen, saw the C5, surprisingly it is quite good looking (interior and exterior).

It looks chio from outside only but the interior is still very Korean aka poor quality (when compared to mid-tiered car). Closely examined the glass roof assembly, the design & workmanship is not desireable.

In fact I hardly find any pros about the interior except that it is loaded with a lot of gadgets. Seats, headroom and comfort are bad.

Walked over to next door Citroen, saw the C5, surprisingly it is quite good looking (interior and exterior).

The K5 is already proper value these days.

Sure the front seats with a slight angle may take getting used to, but it's definitely not uncomfortable.

Having plenty of gadgets to play with is better than nothing. And sure, headroom may be a little restricting, especially the rear, but sadly, I'm not that tall enough for my hair [perhaps my friends who's above 1.7m will take notice], let alone head to be brushing the roof and there's really no need for me to crane my neck as well =)

Of course, if only C&C will bring in the 2.4GDi K7, and have a confirmative date on the K5 2.0TGDi.....=)

Edited by Proton_neutron

Neutral Newbie

Thanks , I am about to go test drive next week and before seeing your comment, I though $139 999 for a KIA ? Not really worth it. And after seeing your comment, I think I skip this car!

Neutral Newbie

Ya, to be honest, I will not be paying 100k and above for a Kia........ but the exterior is cool!

wow the price tag is [knife]

List price (before negotiation and promo discount)

K5 140k (after insurance rebate)

C5 144k + free servicing

508 (Allure) 159k + free servicing

Edited by Wizzercool

Ya, to be honest, I will not be paying 100k and above for a Kia........ but the exterior is cool!

Don't forget that you are actually paying almost $65k for COE.

You will be suprise to see more Hyundai or Kia on germany road compare to Japanese car and they are price similar to the japanese car.

Only in singapore people still think that nippon car is better than Kimchi.

Jialat, I am reading the brochure for K5, I really put off by the Theta II engine. It is just an average engine.

According to the chart, the engine Theta II 2.0 MPI ..

.. at 1.5k RPM 157Nm torque

... at 2k RPM 171Nm torque

... at 2.5k-3k RPM 176 Nm torque

... at 3.5-5k RPM ~198 Nm torque

Max torque = 198 Nm

This car is hard to "cheong" or overtake others, slow crawl only.

For comparison, C5 1.6L turbo, at 1.6k -4k RPM 240 Nm torque, flat.

I don't caer about 0-100kmh because in real life driving I hardly ramp up so fast. I most likely need to pick up fast at traffic junction and to overtake. So torque number around 2k RPM and 3k RPM will be important to me.

Thanks , I am about to go test drive next week and before seeing your comment, I though $139 999 for a KIA ? Not really worth it. And after seeing your comment, I think I skip this car!

No, you must go and check it out. Else you won't appreciate the others. Previously I felt that the Peugeot 508 (Allure) is OK only. After seeing K5, now I feel that the 508 (Allure) is damn nice.

Well no harm trying out all your available choices, they are after all in the 100k region. Personally I chose KIA for its five years warranty and service center in East. Citroen was my second choice but too bad have to travel to Alexander for servicing and had bad experiences with Renault/French in the past.

Jialat, I am reading the brochure for K5, I really put off by the Theta II engine. It is just an average engine.

According to the chart, the engine Theta II 2.0 MPI ..

.. at 1.5k RPM 157Nm torque

... at 2k RPM 171Nm torque

... at 2.5k-3k RPM 176 Nm torque

... at 3.5-5k RPM ~198 Nm torque

Max torque = 198 Nm

This car is hard to "cheong" or overtake others, slow crawl only.

For comparison, C5 1.6L turbo, at 1.6k -4k RPM 240 Nm torque, flat.

I don't caer about 0-100kmh because in real life driving I hardly ramp up so fast. I most likely need to pick up fast at traffic junction and to overtake. So torque number around 2k RPM and 3k RPM will be important to me.

You are not comparing apple to apple. One is turbo engine, one is NA. Turbo engine are always high in torque.

For 2.0L NA engine, 198Nm is consider OK. Even the BMW 320i also 200Nm only. That is why all the VW 1.4TSi engine has higher torque becasue all are turbo.

↡ Advertisement