Tesla Model S beats a BMW M5 (F10) in a drag race

Blackseal

Yes telsa will be faster as the power is instantaneous! But lose out on the handling in corners to M5 as it is very heavy with the battery loaded in the back side.

Than again, how often we can ' drift ' the car in city ride like singapore. I will take the telsa as its practical with more userable power n unique! Too many M5 already......

• Praise 1

Orctually I would put that down to Tesla having a faster reaction time more than anything else - you look at start, the driver of the electicity car reacted faster

• Praise 1

Actually electric engine react faster!

Orctually I would put that down to Tesla having a faster reaction time more than anything else - you look at start, the driver of the electicity car reacted faster

Electric car suits me fine if i have electric socket to plug in in my condo, and how far you need to drive in singapore? Not me anyway.....

until u run out of battery :D

Actually electric engine react faster!

Engine faster = yes -

But I think there is more to it than that, the jump he got is more than just engine - he has moved before you even hear the M5 start - the driver got a good jump

Electric car suits me fine if i have electric socket to plug in in my condo, and how far you need to drive in singapore? Not me anyway.....

is not how far i need to drive but how far i can drive if i choose to.

Good on you for choosing a eco car. But tbh, in reality, (esp. with the current lack of support/infrastructure) it just wouldn't work. I reckon that Tesla wouldn't last more then 10 drags against the M5 before it needs a recharge.

Then theres's the issue of the batteries having a limited shelf life. And as the batteries age, they won't be able to hold their charge as long as they used to. And it's not like bringing a car to a mechanic and getting them to just do a servicing or a simple top overhaul. Those batteries will need replacing and they won't even last you the length of a COE.

The whole idea of elec. cars is cool , but the execution just doesn't make it feasible as an alternative means of propulsion.

Edited by Mockngbrd

To me its more like how far i NEED to drive :) It suits my lifestyle, it looks trendy n green even though i dont believe in eco friendly idea. I dont drive more than few miles a day to work, i also doubt it actually save money eventually the battery replacement will cost a bomb.

is not how far i need to drive but how far i can drive if i choose to.

Good on you for choosing a eco car. But tbh, in reality, (esp. with the current lack of support/infrastructure) it just wouldn't work. I reckon that Tesla wouldn't last more then 10 drags against the M5 before it needs a recharge.

Then theres's the issue of the batteries having a limited shelf life. And as the batteries age, they won't be able to hold their charge as long as they used to. And it's not like bringing a car to a mechanic and getting them to just do a servicing or a simple top overhaul. Those batteries will need replacing and most likely won't even last you the length of a COE.

The whole idea of elec. cars is cool , but the execution just doesn't make it feasible as an alternative means of propulsion.

After a week of driving my tesla roadster in Singapore, I ordered the Model S. battery on the model S is on a platform under the body hence lower centre of gravity and better handling. Will test drive the Model S in Hong Kong soon...

• Praise 1

does it sound like a vacuum cleaner at high rev?

Yes but not as loud. :-) The tesla motor sound was sampled and used in the Dark Knight movie. When the bat mobile broke up and the cycle sped out, the bat cycle sound uses the tesla sound.

Then theres's the issue of the batteries having a limited shelf life. And as the batteries age, they won't be able to hold their charge as long as they used to. And it's not like bringing a car to a mechanic and getting them to just do a servicing or a simple top overhaul. Those batteries will need replacing and they won't even last you the length of a COE.

Battery supposed to last 8-10 years in tesla. There is on board mini computer managing the batteries. It maintains and drains each of the 6000 or so batteries and keeps it optimal. Replacing whole battery unit will be US$14,000. Hopefully this will come down when more are on the road.

It is a very feasible and likely alternative. Damn fast acceleration, deadly silent. Doing easily 200km on a charge. Plug in at home. Paying $5 per 100km in electricity bill. Hahhahahahah! No more petrol kiosks except for the wife's car.