Lexus IS250 vs BMW 325i

Mach7

Hi,

I would like to see comments in the comparisons between the Lexus IS250 and BMW 325i or equivalent.

I used to drive a BMW 316 since 8 years ago and this car always has small problems like battery related and rear lights bulb failure especially the latter of up to thrice per year.

The objectives of this post is to garner first hand intelligence from the owners out there to compare the following:-

1) reliability (maintenance concern)

2) driving satisfaction (responsive and noise insulation)

3) safety

4) performance over say like 2 years later

Thank you very much.

[:)]

↡ Advertisement

Hi,

I would like to see comments in the comparisons between the Lexus IS250 and BMW 325i or equivalent.

I used to drive a BMW 316 since 8 years ago and this car always has small problems like battery related and rear lights bulb failure especially the latter of up to thrice per year.

The objectives of this post is to garner first hand intelligence from the owners out there to compare the following:-

1) reliability (maintenance concern)

2) driving satisfaction (responsive and noise insulation)

3) safety

4) performance over say like 2 years later

Thank you very much.

[:)]

Mach7 ,

both are different.

It depends on whether you enjoy driving or being driven.

Reliability is about the same base on word of mouth from the many friends i know driving the IS250 and 325i

everything out of the usual is heng suay

The 325i will definitely heighten your senses as a driver compared to the IS250

The IS250 is more comfy than the 325i overall

Both cars are modern and should provide adequate safety features.

The BMW will perform better and in my opinion has better gearbox, suspension and built quality.

This is not to say that the IS250 is poor in that department.

Finally, the BMW badge or the Lexus badge? :D

Note: I have never owned a Lexus IS250 nor a BMW325i but havent driven both cars on various occasions.

Edited by Throttle2

Driven the IS250 before... so uninvolving... feels such an ah-pek car to drive. Sorry to all IS250 owners out there but this is what i felt after testing its competitors.

IMHO,

From the overall handling and F/R balance standpoint, NOT power, nor out-and-out acceleration:

IS200 (2L) > E46 320i (2.2L)

- owned both before

- both IL-6

- IS has double wishbone suspensions in both F/R

- IS nearer 50:50 F/R balanced ... E46 318i (IL4) to get that

E90 325i > IS250

- owned neither

- this was when Lexus switched to V6, electric power steering and dropped the rear double-wishbone suspensions

- 3-er still retained IL6 with hydraulic power steering

- but watch the Valvetronic's eccentric - always a problem in out-of-phase TDC timing

F30 has no 325i model.

F30 now based on TC IL-4 engines (don't like)

F30 now on electric power steering (don't like)

F30 has very bad tyre/road/wind noise (the scourge of many owners, worldwide!)

IMHO,

From the overall handling and F/R balance standpoint, NOT power, nor out-and-out acceleration:

IS200 (2L) > E46 320i (2.2L)

- owned both before

- both IL-6

- IS has double wishbone suspensions in both F/R

- IS nearer 50:50 F/R balanced ... E46 318i (IL4) to get that

E90 325i > IS250

- owned neither

- this was when Lexus switched to V6, electric power steering and dropped the rear double-wishbone suspensions

- 3-er still retained IL6 with hydraulic power steering

- but watch the Valvetronic's eccentric - always a problem in out-of-phase TDC timing

F30 has no 325i model.

F30 now based on TC IL-4 engines (don't like)

F30 now on electric power steering (don't like)

F30 has very bad tyre/road/wind noise (the scourge of many owners, worldwide!)

F30 3 series seems to grown bigger in size too (don't like)

Been driven in 330i and IS250, Beemer does have more comfort and space. IS250 owner even commented his car was worse off in term of insulation and ride comfort compared to his camry.

My current ride is an IS which I chose 2yrs+ back mainly due to reliability & cost of ownership issue. And so far I have no regrets. Btw, I bought when my ride is 2yrs old... [cool]

I had a '06 E90 325i for 10 months. So maybe can share with you my short experience with the car.

Drive: Superb inline 6 engine! Love the smooth delivery at mid-high. Always love the trips on NSHW. No problems during my 10 months except one of the mounting stud gave way. Lotsa owners had the oil eating problem but I was lucky. I got average FC of 10.5KM/L (30% city and 70% highway).

Gearbox: Though replaced the oil/filter and reset the tcu, I still experienced jerky downshift when coming to stop. Other than that, it was quite ok. Went up to Genting using steptronic and did not experience any overheat.

Ride quality: The stock suspension is one of the best in the market. Low enough, comfortable and gives you confidence on the highway on stock 17". Good steering feel as well!!

Interior: As it was a old car, the buttons on the panel began to fade and felt 'sticky'. The I-drive was useful to me, only the cost to update maps was a killer (around $1000 from PML). Rear legroom is similar as compared to my old CL7R. Only the boot space is disappointing. Aircon gave me no problems at all. The flow and 'coldness' was adequate all the time at 26.5DEG C. My friend wasn't that lucky on his used E90 320i. He had to spend 2.8K to replace the cooling coil and compressor.

I would say I never regret having the car during the short 10 months. It's truely 'The Ultimate Driving Machine'!

My current ride is an IS which I chose 2yrs+ back mainly due to reliability & cost of ownership issue. And so far I have no regrets. Btw, I bought when my ride is 2yrs old... [cool]

Its a good car so definitely no regrets.

But against the 325i of the same era and age, i think the choice is clear.

However it isnt the best comparison too

Becos the 325i cost more and has a higher OMV .

Its a good car so definitely no regrets.

But against the 325i of the same era and age, i think the choice is clear.

However it isnt the best comparison too

Becos the 325i cost more and has a higher OMV .

I agree with you bro!

I chose mainly becos of $$$... [:p]

you would be advised to be heavily involved with your wallet in the repairs of the BMW. consistent engine oil leakage, and gearbox problem.

my friend driving a bmw 523 2008 milage only 45 k, traveling at 140km along north south highway, warning light appeared advising him not to drive becos of auto gearbox problem. he stop and used manual back to singapore. sent to performance . He was quoted 11K to replace gearbox. Bro , it is a perennial problem.

BMW (E71)...of course...very realiable car...Hit NSHW...several times....superb performance...drove IS250 (friend) before doesn't feel safe, performance very much lacking compare to BMW......

BMW (E71)...of course...very realiable car...Hit NSHW...several times....superb performance...drove IS250 (friend) before doesn't feel safe, performance very much lacking compare to BMW......

very reliable and superb performance bcoz u own one?

you would be advised to be heavily involved with your wallet in the repairs of the BMW. consistent engine oil leakage, and gearbox problem.

my friend driving a bmw 523 2008 milage only 45 k, traveling at 140km along north south highway, warning light appeared advising him not to drive becos of auto gearbox problem. he stop and used manual back to singapore. sent to performance . He was quoted 11K to replace gearbox. Bro , it is a perennial problem.

hahahaha, another one of you fellas.

perennial indeed...

you ever owned a BMW or not?

I have owned 3 , all of which secondhand, none with those problems you highlighted.

So better buy Audi and pour engine oil every week right?

muayhahaha, you jokers. after so many years still the smae old my friend stories..... hahaha