Thinkware FXD900 dual channel DVR

Vitaminc1231

Hi All

Been using this for about 6 weeks and thought want to share some of my user experience.

Brand and Model

Thinkware FXD900

I'll skip all the parts where you can find easily on Google or YouTube.

http://www.inavi.com/Products/BlackBox/Gate?target=_Black_FXD900

Look and Feel

If you are keen to know what does the box include, there's a YouTube video on unboxing it too. I bought it from ZMC, so installation is included and I don't think whatever leftover in the box is useful.

Below are how it looks like after installation:

Front camera - The white line at the front is a left-right moving white LED, which can be changed / off via software setting

Photo22-10-1323317pm-2.jpg

Back Camera - I had to take this photo from inside because my window film is making this almost invisible in the photo

Photo22-10-1323611pm-2.jpg

Ease of access to microSD

Got a friend asking how easy is it to access the memory card. The short answer is difficult. I'll show you the pictures before I continue to the long answer.

Memory card slot - at the back of the camera

Photo22-10-1323940pm-1.jpg

To access the slot, it means you have to move your rear view mirror every time

Photo22-10-1323835pm-1.jpg

Having said that, there isn't any reason for me to remove the card other than being curious what have been recorded. Once the memory card is formatted, settings configured, I don't really need to take the card out anymore. When the memory card is full, the recording will auto overwrite the older recordings.

The Recordings

Again, you can find a lot of video on YouTube. I find those video largely relevant an valid compared to my own video quality. I am adding a few screenshots to highlight the missing information.

Day time recording is good, and you can use the software to zoom in the video, which is very useful in the event of unfortunate events. Also, you can swap the rear camera to the left window and zooming is possible too. Lastly, the GPS will show your location in the map.

fx900b-1.jpg

fx900c-1.jpg

However, if you are at open car park at night time, the image quality is not impressive. I assume the result will be better if inside lighted MSCP. Below show a screen shot from open car park with little lights, I'm not sure if there's an event, will I be able to see the car plate. Having said that, I think with zoom in and the light from the other vehicle, there's a high chance I can. I don't really wish to find out with my cam at this stage... [sweatdrop]

fx900a-1.jpg

The Software

It's called BlackViewer, which can be downloaded online. Setup is straight forward, settings are easy too. Below are the settings, most of these are set at the point of installation by ZMC. I did some changes which I will explain later. Some of the settings can also be turned on/off via the buttons on the camera itself.

1.Common Setting, no idea what does the brightness do. Perhaps I should change to Light and test it out.

Voice recording records the voice in the car.

Voice guidance is useful, it tells you how many events were recorded while parking, whether GPS connected etc.

fx900-1-1.jpg

2. Continuous settings, these are the settings when you are driving the car, I changed nothing.

fx900-2-1.jpg

3. Surveillance (parking mode).

I changed the 15fps to 30 fps, no significant difference, hence I changed it back.

I did reduce the sensitivity of the motion detection, because it was recording everything that moves...

There is also a cut off when battery hits 12V or the duration is longer than 48hrs, meaning the camera will shut down to prevent drying the battery. I've been leaving parking mode on overnight and I have no issue with battery so far.

fx900-3a-1.jpg

fx900-3b-1.jpg

4. Additional Settings, this is where you change the LED light and also the microSD storage allocation.

fx900-4a-1.jpg

fx900-4b-2.jpg

fx900-4c.jpg

Edited by BabyBlade
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5
  • Dislike 1

(edited)

Memory Card Usage

I changed my memory partition to B type for testing purpose. So far, not much help in terms of storing the video of motion detection...

Let me try to quantify a bit. Whichever partition setting I use, I have no problem saving a day's full of continuous driving video in the memory card. Caveat is I don't drive all day, I drive to office and leave my car there most of the time till evening knock off. I can save about 3 days video in the card.

Whenever there is a impact to the car, it could be I drove too fast over a hump, the camera will store a separate video, about 10secs before and after the impact, under 'Event recording' folder. If you scroll up to see my day time screen shot, you can see at the bottom right of that and understand what I meant. This, also have no problem in terms of storage.

When the engine is switched off, the camera goes in to parking mode. During parking mode, 2 types of recording will be recorded - motion detection and event recording. This event recording is similar to when driving, so if you slam your boot while parking, it will be recorded too. Again, I have no diskspace issue with this.

The real issue is the motion detection. By increasing the memory partition, it doesn't really help much. See, it detects every motion as what it claims in the name, and it really does... So in the morning when everyone is leaving the carpark, I have a lot of videos recorded, so much that very soon it starts over writing the older motion detection video. So far, the most I can see for the video is about 7am in the morning. Whatever happened between I parked my car till then have been overwritten. True, if there was any event, it will be separately recorded under event recording, but this still make me wonder what is this motion detection good for...

Conclusion

All in all, I am still happy with the camera. The fact that I don't have the buy a battery kit to prevent accidentally killing my battery is a big push factor. This camera is not cheap, you can get ZMC to quote you... They are a friendly bunch anyway.

Though expensive, if given the choice, I will still buy this. Partly because I like the design (which is subjective), partly because this is one of the rare model that claim can withstand high temp and partly because I don't see a better choice (again subjective). I do hope this is cheaper though...

Hope this help you if you are thinking to buy this camera.

Edited by Vitaminc1231
  • Praise 1

Hi Vitaminc1231,

Thanks you for your feedback on Thinkware FXD900. After reading your postings and several others in this forum about various car cameras, hubby & me finally decided to get this dual camera installed 2-weeks back. After a few near misses recently, we were rather anxious to have a camera installed ASAP. Initially we wanted to zip down to Expo as ZMC was having a booth at the IT Fair. But with 3 kids in tow, we changed our plans and decided to check out the Autobacs near our place first. Surprisingly they were having a promo on the FXD900. To save on the hassles and time getting from West to East, finding parking at Expo, fighting the crowds, etc... we decided to settle getting it from them. We understood that their supplies were from ZMC too. Plus point, they were able to do installation on the spot. It took them about 40-mins and was done nicely. The guy even gave us a short tutorial on operating our new camera. Great service.

As a newbie to car cameras, I was thankful to have your explanations & tips posted in this thread. In fact, I've changed most settings based on your recommendations above. So far, we are very happy having this camera in our car. The play back images are clear, no lag time, and most importantly no over heating issues. Although start up costs is high, I'd say its a good investment. Thanks again and I hope to see more Thinkware FXD900 users coming aboard.

• Praise 4

How much was it? Was the installation directly connected to the battery and this installation was free?

Hi Vitaminc1231,

Thanks you for your feedback on Thinkware FXD900. After reading your postings and several others in this forum about various car cameras, hubby & me finally decided to get this dual camera installed 2-weeks back. After a few near misses recently, we were rather anxious to have a camera installed ASAP. Initially we wanted to zip down to Expo as ZMC was having a booth at the IT Fair. But with 3 kids in tow, we changed our plans and decided to check out the Autobacs near our place first. Surprisingly they were having a promo on the FXD900. To save on the hassles and time getting from West to East, finding parking at Expo, fighting the crowds, etc... we decided to settle getting it from them. We understood that their supplies were from ZMC too. Plus point, they were able to do installation on the spot. It took them about 40-mins and was done nicely. The guy even gave us a short tutorial on operating our new camera. Great service.

As a newbie to car cameras, I was thankful to have your explanations & tips posted in this thread. In fact, I've changed most settings based on your recommendations above. So far, we are very happy having this camera in our car. The play back images are clear, no lag time, and most importantly no over heating issues. Although start up costs is high, I'd say its a good investment. Thanks again and I hope to see more Thinkware FXD900 users coming aboard.

• Praise 1

I dont see the speed embedded on the video. Is there any option to embed the speed on the video?

One thing that is holding me back to get this FXD900 is the size compared to others. I find it too big. Just got another car cam two weeks ago.

• Praise 1

I dont see the speed embedded on the video. Is there any option to embed the speed on the video?

One thing that is holding me back to get this FXD900 is the size compared to others. I find it too big. Just got another car cam two weeks ago.

With the player, you can see the car speed. But if you are talking about accessing the video file directly from the folder and see the speed embedded on the video, yeah it is not possible at the moment.

How much was it? Was the installation directly connected to the battery and this installation was free?

You can check with ZMC for the latest price. I bought it below at Comex hence had some discount. The installation is free. It connects directly to the fusebox (where your IU unit connects to too) so you won't see any cable running around like you see on some of the taxis.

Tried searching around for more reviews but to no avail. Is this a relatively new brand?

You can also search Inavi, they are the same company. Yes it is relatively new brand outside Korea.

Hi Vitaminc1231,

Very detailed write up. Thanks for sharing.

Is it possible to show how the front and rear camera are wired. Thanks. As from the two pic you have uploaded seems like very neat and tidy.

Thanks=)

Hi Vitaminc1231,

Very detailed write up. Thanks for sharing.

Is it possible to show how the front and rear camera are wired. Thanks. As from the two pic you have uploaded seems like very neat and tidy.

Thanks=)

F00D915E-8EE1-4522-9DD1-C8E43C6FA04F_zps

51A43DA1-9AA0-4066-9479-638FA2BDBF64_zps

Not sure you can see clearly because I took the photo in basement car park. Anyway they hid the cables under the cover so the only cable part you can see is what you see in the photo. you won't see the cable anywhere else.

• Praise 1

Tried searching around for more reviews but to no avail. Is this a relatively new brand?

THINKWARE was known as "INAVI" korean name all these while . This year "THINKWARE" was named for the global market . Nevertheless they have been #1 in korea for navigation and car black boxes .

Anyway thanks Vitamin bro for your detailed review which benefits many THINKWARE users across this forum :)

Neutral Newbie

i have using FXD900, i facing a problem on date and time !! i got setting time zone to kuala lumpur and singapor alr. but the time faster 30min and date slow 1 day, gps light got but maping not show ! pls teaching me how to solved this problem! tq for ur helper !

Edited by BensonNg
  • Praise 1

banner30.jpg

i have using FXD900, i facing a problem on date and time !! i got setting time zone to kuala lumpur and singapor alr. but the time faster 30min and date slow 1 day, gps light got but maping not show ! pls teaching me how to solved this problem! tq for ur helper !

Dear Benson, did you purchase the product from us? if so please kindly bring the product back to us and we will help you update the localized firmware.

Thank you.

ZMC

Cheers bro

Edited by ZMC