Suicidal to Buy 4-5 Year Old Volkswagen?

Kyrios

Guys, any feedback if I were to say plunge into the market for a 2nd hand Volkswagen which is coming to its end warranty? Suicidal right?

Any bros done the same thing? [sweatdrop]

Edited by Laserjet
↡ Advertisement

Guys, any feedback if I were to say plunge into the market for a 2nd hand Volkswagen which is coming to its end warranty? Suicidal right?

Any bros done the same thing? [sweatdrop]

Its the condition of the car, not always the brand … Get a trusted mechanic to check the car b4 you purchase it, if you are not sure ...

We used to own a VW … No problems at all … Moreover, there are now so many 3rd party workshops able to service & repair VWs, not like the past … No need to go back to agent …

Just make sure, the car is accident free, regardless of brand … [nod]

• Praise 1

If can buy 2 VW, probably won't consider VW in the first place.

maybe get two, so there is always one on stand by if the other one goes in..... [lipsrsealed]

IMO, looking at the year of conti car (2008-9), not recommended.

Conti car, YOM towards reliability from 2011 onwards only. The later Y2013 will be better.

• Praise 1

i wonder why is that so?

I reckon most people were owners of Jap cars before; most probably never owned a conti before. For years, they were accustomed to Japenis tincan. Once they go to V-Dub showroom and sit inside.......Whoah............................. it's a world of difference men!!!!!! The feel is totally different, something feel of solidity like carved out of granite or jade, while their Japenis cars were like cardboard pieced together.

Somemore, the price is similar or even lower than Japenis cars.

Saliva flowed endlessly..............

But, what's holding back is the GB..........

So, they asked and asked and asked and asked and asked..........

[grin]

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

I reckon most people were owners of Jap cars before; most probably never owned a conti before. For years, they were accustomed to Japenis tincan. Once they go to V-Dub showroom and sit inside.......Whoah............................. it's a world of difference men!!!!!! The feel is totally different, something feel of solidity like carved out of granite or jade, while their Japenis cars were like cardboard pieced together.

Somemore, the price is similar or even lower than Japenis cars.

Saliva flowed endlessly..............

But, what's holding back is the GB..........

So, they asked and asked and asked and asked and asked..........

[grin]

How was the 1.6 / 2.0 fsi mated to the 6AT back then? Less issues ?

On a side note, those regular pink AT the ADs recc 40k interval, izit mineral, semi or fully syn?

I had a couple of people change from Jap/Kimchi to Conti and never look back to Jap/Kimchi again

Its a "face" thing, once "up"graded to a conti, how can downgrade back to Jap or Kimchi?

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

How was the 1.6 / 2.0 fsi mated to the 6AT back then? Less issues ?

On a side note, those regular pink AT the ADs recc 40k interval, izit mineral, semi or fully syn?

the older 1.6/2 fsi with 6AT pretty bullet proof

semi syn usually

Its a "face" thing, once "up"graded to a conti, how can downgrade back to Jap or Kimchi?

I don't think it is so much a face thing. I mean except for mercs, bmw and audi, the rest of contis aren't really significantly more premium brand. how much face can non-premium conti car afford?

on the other hand, it is clear conti car handles better and has less body roll. that is sufficient motivation to dissuade owners from switching to jap/kimchi.

the older 1.6/2 fsi with 6AT pretty bullet proof

semi syn usually

Actually now that vw has gotten all the awards they wanted, they should have a 6AT version for their Asian markets.

In this case the ADs recc of using mineral oil could be <20k intervals change. Even if owner goes ws outside, the change incl change seals, gaskets, labour, think easily 400-500.

I don't think it is so much a face thing. I mean except for mercs, bmw and audi, the rest of contis aren't really significantly more premium brand. how much face can non-premium conti car afford?

on the other hand, it is clear conti car handles better and has less body roll. that is sufficient motivation to dissuade owners from switching to jap/kimchi.

Roll sure have one de unless hardcore modding.....

But, one thing I noticed the roll in conti vs roll in Jap totally different; one is very controlled and you never have the toppling over feel, whereas the other can be quite hair-raising in stock form. This is especially so when attacking corners.

Edited by Kangadrool
↡ Advertisement