Is Wheelbase a good measurement for passenger compartment?

gasman

As above for discussion.

Example - NX200 wheelbase is 2660mm, whilst Forrester 2.0 is 2640mm. But I "felt" the NX200 a bit tight as compared with the latter.

Food for thought.

↡ Advertisement

External dimension can be as big/width as it comes. If the interior design is crappy, then it will still be small/uncomfortable.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Other factors like the presence of the transmission tunnel along with the thickness of the seat cushion and length of the seat squab do play a part.

The amount of boot space and the engine layout - either traversely or longitudinally affects as well.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
(edited)

Other factors like the presence of the transmission tunnel along with the thickness of the seat cushion and length of the seat squab do play a part.

The amount of boot space and the engine layout - either traversely or longitudinally affects as well.

Front or rear wheel drive also affect a lot.

A rear wheel drive will always have a much smaller rear space due to the transmission tunnel as you mention even the wheel base is same.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 1

Longer wheelbase gives you more legroom. But taller cars would give you more headroom, so the feeling of spaciousness. Forester is some 105 mm taller.

Best is to go down in person to experience it yourself. No need to rely on the measurements, you're not buying a car online :)

• Praise 1

It all depends on how the cabin is designed. If the dashboard is very shallow, then expect the cabin to be spacious overall.

Case in point: Nissan Latio and Sylphy. Shallow dashboards and they manage to use the space for rear leg room.

• Praise 1

It's just one of the factors for consideration.

Other things include seat design, overall cabin design, whether got anything intrusive like transmission tunnel, suspension etc etc. Lots of stuff to consider also.

Best is to just go and try for yourself and see whether comfortable or not.

• Praise 1

It all depends on how the cabin is designed. If the dashboard is very shallow, then expect the cabin to be spacious overall.

Case in point: Nissan Latio and Sylphy. Shallow dashboards and they manage to use the space for rear leg room.

fully agree there.

these two models may not have the most impressive wheelbase figures, but the rear leg space is impressive to say the least.

the taller roof play a part too.

• Praise 2

This is an interesting thread

I haven't thought about wheelbase before during car purchase

What i did was to sit myself in every seat and feel the leg space and comfort before deciding if that car matches up to what i think is needed

• Praise 1

(edited)

External dimension can be as big/width as it comes. If the interior design is crappy, then it will still be small/uncomfortable.

Just look at Mazda 3, wheelbase is long at 2700mm but rear legroom is worst than vios.

Edited by Ivan_06

As above for discussion.

Example - NX200 wheelbase is 2660mm, whilst Forrester 2.0 is 2640mm. But I "felt" the NX200 a bit tight as compared with the latter.

Food for thought.

20mm of difference in wheelbase is not going to make much of a difference in feeling tight. I believe it's more of the interior design that is giving that difference.

I was surprised by nissan slphy rear legroom space..spacious!

I was ever more surprised by a Hummer...boy it is so tight inside.

(edited)

toyota design always has the "best" legroom and space ... just take a look at camry vs accord/teana/etc

and definitely much spacious than a6/e-class/5-series due to rear wheel drive

1pix is altis

2pix is camry

just look at the reg legroom and space ... wow !

Just look at Mazda 3, wheelbase is long at 2700mm but rear legroom is worst than vios.

post-7984-0-73906900-1437150336_thumb.png

post-7984-0-39684900-1437150743_thumb.png

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2