AA Assessment Report - Advice and Feedback Wanted

ptsaurus

Neutral Newbie

Hi everyone,

Am currently in the process of looking for a first used car.

Of the cars that I have viewed (mostly sourced on SGCM), I have had one sent for AA testing and pre-purchase evaluation.

As I have relatively limited knowledge of car mechanics and repairs, would like to appeal for help and feedback regarding the report.

Model: Audi A4 1.8T FSI MU S-LINE

Mileage: 120,000+

Previous owners: 1

Dealer claims - no major accidents, stock colour, servicing already done before initial viewing

No declarations with regards to major servicing/repairs required beforehand

Am looking for opinions on whether this vehicle appears roadworthy/worth purchasing (+/- negotiations or additional servicing) based on the report, or if there are any major red flags etc.

Thanks in advance. Any constructive comments or suggestions would also be very much appreciated!

post-159537-0-07967800-1449565418_thumb.jpg

post-159537-0-19193400-1449565841_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

I foresee alot of repairs and checks to be done during the first 3 months of purchasing this vehicle.

My 2 cents, leave it, very bad condition for a supposed "servicing already done" vehicle. 

Edited by Hotshot85

Not an expert but 2 quick points from me:

1. Engine is making some weird noises

2. Bonnet might have been changed and that usually indicates a major accident

Recommendation: find another car

• Praise 1

Dealer advertise - car swee swee boh lao zui, sometimes add in lady driver second car, blah blah

AA used vehicle evaluation - unbiased report which really don't give face and give u the hard truths

• Praise 2

TS.. U read the report.. You urself also know this car got problem... Yet u created an account.. Posted in some threads to start this thread.

I am guessing.. This car is within ur budget.. And u really like it.

From personal experience, don't.

Unless the price dealer selling vs same make is so much lower.. U think can cover repair costs.. And down time.. (Which shld set off alarm bells)

Final word... Don't..

• Praise 2

TBH, doesn't sound too bad to me. 

the way I see it, the previous owner did not really take care type. But if price is good (and I mean really good) I don't see why not.  Just use all these to slash a few K more. 

One issue I have - "Please check coolant content"  ?!?!  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh] again, no biggie. Just do a flush and total change. 

BUT the biggest issue is -- > MID Silencer box probable mod = inspection FAIL = more money. 

so yeah, just WALK AWAY 

but let me guess, you have placed a deposit ? How much ? 

I estimate the work done will need about $5k. 

Edited by Othello

Not an expert but 2 quick points from me:

1. Engine is making some weird noises

2. Bonnet might have been changed and that usually indicates a major accident

Recommendation: find another car

1. the tappet sound is very common is AUDI engines

several mechanics I spoke to just say is carbon buildup and recommend just add some additives

If you really keen to get this car you should negotiate for more discount. seem like need to minimally spend 1-2k to get everything change.

Unless price really attractive I wont buy. Just my personal opinions. 

Edited by Bacteria83

Accident car and if owner did not really take care of it, there might be lingering problems that are not fixed. If bonnet had been replaced (can't be a small dent then), how to make sure radiator, aircon, alternator, engine, etc. are repaired fully. If owner is fastidious person, maybe ok but you can't confirm, so everything is suspect.

I will walk away and find another deal. It might be a few k cheaper but repair cost can easily exceed that.

Walk away. This car is full of problems. I bought a used car and literally do a overhaul to it. Because it is a Toyota, the gearbox and Engine are fine. All the wear and tear which I can think of, I literally change them out of my car. That cost me near 2k SGD. I can give you my breakdown. you add or minus from there.

4x tyre(215/60/16 size) - SGD520(change in JB)

4x Suspension - SGD 500(change in JB)

4x Suspension Bump Stop - SGD 24(Change in JB)

Suspension Mounting - SGD 280(Front and back, change in JB)

Stabilizer End linkage - SGD 100(Both side, change in JB)

Rear Stabilizer Bar bushing - SGD 30(Change in JB)

Front Stabilizer Bar bushing - SGD 88(Change in SG)

Engine Oil/Air filter/Oil Filter/ Air Con Filter/ATF/ Spark Plug - SGD 250

Labour for servicing and troubleshooting - SGD 300(Inclusive of SG and JB mechanic).

You add up all these, then roughly add a bit to see how much it will cost for Continental cars, then decide if you wanna save a bit and spend a lot later. Btw, mine is just a Japanese 2L car.

↡ Advertisement