Paddle shifters - fixed to wheel or column?

1fast1

Paddle shifter mounting position  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer paddle-shifters to be:

• Fixed to the wheel (so they turn with the wheel)? e.g. BMW, Mercedes, Mclaren, Porsche 918
    • Fixed to the column (so they remain in one position)? e.g. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Nissan GTR

OK, I searched. There have been threads on paddle shifters before, e.g.: http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2676927-paddle-shifters-which-type-suits-you/. But they don't address this exact question.

My specific question is: which particular mounting position of paddle shifters suits you better? Fixed to the wheel or fixed to the steering column?

Examples of makes/models with each position (taken from the web):

Wheel mounted:
BMW - 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 series
VW - Golf, GTI
Porsche - 918
Audi - R8
McLaren
Acura - TL
Cadillac - CTS-V

Column mounted:
Subaru - Outback
Ferrari
Lamborghini
Nissan - GTR, Maxima

What prompted this question:

I have experienced both. Right now, my Bimmer and my Merc both have wheel mounted shifters. I find them very intuitive to shift with. This applies to both street driving and track/high performance driving - I recently came back from NZ where I did the Alpine drive on the Southern Hemisphere Proving Ground. The wheel-mounted shifters on the M and xDrive cars were an absolute pleasure.

Also, I was recently invited to test drive the 488GTB. I loved the car on the whole, but disliked the column mounted paddles as I found them unwieldy to use.

I have lived with a column mounted shift for a few months - my F430. Took me some getting used-to. Honestly, I never drove that car as hard as I've driven many others, and nowhere near as hard as it was intended by god and Enzo (who might be one and the same entity, lol). What made it a little easier is that I had no other paddle shifting car at that time so I didn't have to "switch" between two modes of shifting.

But if one has one of each type, I can see how it might be difficult to go from one to the other on a periodic basis.

So my question is: which do you personally prefer?

I prefer the wheel-mounted type, as I've already mentioned. But arguments for and against both types can be made, e.g. Wheel mounted shifters allow one to always have immediate access to the paddles if one holds the wheel in the prescribed 9-3 racing position. But Ferrari claim that you shouldn't be shifting gear mid-corner, so you should never actually need to reach across to the column from anything other than a 9-3 position. I don't really agree - you can and should select the right gear prior to corner entry, but you often have to upshift when accelerating out of the apex. With modern rev-matching transmissions, weight transfer, etc. becomes a moot point, it's all so smooth that there's practically no risk of destabilisation.

Anyway, if you're experienced with both types, please do vote and post an opinion. But please don't proffer irrelevant opinions like "never had one", "I leave the car to shift for itself", or "real drivers drive manuals", which would be a waste of time and effort for you, and of bandwidth for all. I don't mean to be rude, but too many threads like this have devolved into noise.

Thank you! [cool]

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

pls hor...can still add to that thread

and ffs, the 90% here jeepun have PS meh?

gonna be a lonely thread...maybe call your fren j22 here  :D

That thread has a totally different emphasis bro. I thought this was a more relevant question.

OK, OK, I'm feeling bo liao today, but for god's sake, no J22!! :D

jeepun car i dunno la.

but my kimchi car got paddle shifters leh hahaha [laugh]

• Praise 1

Both my previous car and current car have it wheel mounted. So I only experienced wheel mounted PS.

I dont like PS while making a turn cos very difficult to turn the wheel and change gear at the same time. But only the straights like (Woodlands Ave12), once off the traffic lights, its a pleasure using PS.

• Praise 2

Agree. Same thoughts with Adrian on this.

Perhaps in city driving with many corners to turn, column mounted shifters with extended shifters might be a better option.

Both my previous car and current car have it wheel mounted. So I only experienced wheel mounted PS.

I dont like PS while making a turn cos very difficult to turn the wheel and change gear at the same time. But only the straights like (Woodlands Ave12), once off the traffic lights, its a pleasure using PS.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

Then you what? [laugh]

I'm still trying to classify myself. Maybe alien or something [laugh] [laugh]

But back to the topic, I don't to use PS because my cars they are wheel mounted. During and the orientation gets haywire.

I'm still trying to classify myself. Maybe alien or something [laugh] [laugh]

But back to the topic, I don't to use PS because my cars they are wheel mounted. During and the orientation gets haywire.

Ah... do you shuffle steer like a teksi lau? [laugh]

I'm glad this thread is not going to waste (contrary to what pundek @RadX said). :D

We can also branch off into discussions on preferred steering grip and technique, lol.

Hypersonic

Ah... do you shuffle steer like a teksi lau? [laugh]

To my wife and kids, I am a teksi lau [dead]

But I like steering only with my right hand so down shifting is a problem [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 1

To my wife and kids, I am a teksi lau [dead]

But I like steering only with my right hand so down shifting is a problem [laugh] [laugh]

So you drive like a gangbanger in a Cadillac with 25 inch gold spinner rims. [laugh]

• Praise 2

to answer TS, wheel mounted is my preferred choice

reason like you said, sometimes just before entering corner and coming out from apex, the wheel wont be in 9-3 position.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

So you drive like a gangbanger in a Cadillac with 25 inch gold spinner rims. [laugh]

Never thought like that but yeah that's an apt description [laugh] [laugh]

to answer TS, wheel mounted is my preferred choice

reason like you said, sometimes just before entering corner and coming out from apex, the wheel wont be in 9-3 position.

Thanks for a sound and relevant opinion bro.

ehhhhh my bnb mij jeepun family minivan on CVT also have wheel mounted PS leh, give chance lah, so we can act "ricer" a bit

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1