Engine Oil : Virgin Base Oil versus Recycled Oil

Krieger

Last friday had a chance to discuss something about engine oil with someone from a reputable oil company when she came to look for me in regards to other aspect of her life.

As below is what she said (Please pardon me if there is any wrong infor)

1) The engine oil brands  in the market are priced differently due to level of marketing, types of additives and AMOUNT OF VIRGIN BASE OIL in them. 

2) Most of the engine oil contains recycled oil (only to what %)

3) Recycled oil is basically filtered and added with new additives.  

4) In Singapore used engine oil is used for both road building materials and reuse in our vehicles.

5) Try to buy oil with higher level of Virgin base oil

Just for sharing and infor for self use .

Edited by Lightsabre
↡ Advertisement

Last friday had a chance to discuss something about engine oil with someone from a reputable oil company when she came to look for me in regards to other aspect of her life.

1) The engine oil brands in the market are priced differently due to level of marketing, types of additives and AMOUNT OF VIRGIN BASE OIL in them.

4) In Singapore used engine oil is used for both road building materials and reuse in our vehicles.

Which oil has more virginity inside? Recommend?

I find the reasoning behind oil and virgin to be weird. Any of you knows better?

Quite true not weird,sometimes I see Shell Ultra Helix 5w40 selling at $34 and Shell Station selling 100 plus,was told got new and recycle

oil make in EU.Very confuse!!!!

Internal Moderator

I did a bit of research about what @krieger have touch on. And yes, engine sure can be recycle and refine into new engine oil. 

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_oil_recycling

But however, if you take effort and time to go through all the engine oil bottle, none of them will tell you the content to it. There is no industry standard for them to indicate the concentration of the base oil out. 

So how do you determine your engine oil is good stuff? 

How-to.jpg

I am also not an expert but I am keen on finding out the best engine oil for my own car too. (: 

Usually, you will see engine oil manufacturer sponsor and endorse Motorsports event be in grassroots level to Formula 1 level. This is to induce confidence to the consumers that if the engine oil can be used in such a harsh environment, day-to-day driving is not a issue for you guys to use my oil. 

18893104_1761637497185279_88069064348208(Some trackie in Singapore.) 

Sources: https://www.facebook.com/MPMOilSingapore/

1508509992151.jpg

(Ferrari F1 Car) 

Source: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2017/10/gallery--the-best-images-from-the-united-states.html

Since, I dunno what is the ingredient inside, how to determine good engine oil? 

In today standard, there is a few bodies that classify engine oils. 

API (American Petroleum Institute), ACEA (Association des Constructeurs Européens d'Automobiles ), JASO (Japan Automotive Standard Organization), General Motors also have a engine oil specs called dexos and Respective Car Brand Manufacturer who have endorsed the engine oil. 

Basically, they are about the same. 

They test the oil, tell you good or not and they they license it with their branding. Think of it like "Halal" logo. If you go and have lunch with your Muslim friends, and you see the restaurant with a Halal logo, your friend will be more comfortable to enjoy that meal together with you. (: 

Let's take one of the most popular engine oil brand for a look. 

Tableau-produits-SHELL-HELIX.png

You can see that Shell Helix have multiple packaging with different accreditation. basically, the formula of the oil is the same. However, they send for different test to get it endorsed. And in order to save cost, they will market different packaging with different accreditation for different market. For Singapore, usually the most common standards for engine oil is API. so Shell will choose the packaging that have API standard to be marketed in Singapore. Because, if they list all the accreditation, there is a royalty fees they need to pay to individual accreditation bodies. Then the engine oil price will go up! 

Lastly, and the only thing to take home. 

I dare not say I tried alot of engine oils, but after driving for a few years. i tried quite a few thou. 

The key thing to take note is Manufacturer requirements, If they recommend you 5W-30, try stick to that and change your engine at recommended duration and mileage, whichever come earlier. And if you are a person who believe in a car that is built not bought, It really depends how much you push your car. If you drive a NA car and you turbo or super-charged it, best is to go thicker oil. Turbo car very hot one. Need thicker oil to tahan. 

And my last advise is to go for reputable brands and avoid parallel imports. Nevertheless, car is expensive in Singapore. Don't try to save that little money and get some snake oil. If engine goes wrong, and the company didn't buy product liability insurance, you might not get a single cents back because you have changed their oil.

Generally, all workshop in Singapore usually will stock some good stuff for customers one. Like Motul, Liqui Moly, Idemitsu and such...

I wrote this with no commercial purposes. This is purely a sharing note. And pardon me for my English. I am not a scholar. Just someone like you who like cars. (: 

• Praise 3

where got virgin oil ?

they all come from the ground, unless engineered in a lab.

mineral oil would be more "virgin" than a synthetic oil.

ah sh.t go watch Blade Runner.

Supercharged

where got virgin oil ?

they all come from the ground, unless engineered in a lab.

mineral oil would be more "virgin" than a synthetic oil.

ah sh.t go watch Blade Runner.

virgin oil means base oil freshly refined from the crude oil, first round
  • Praise 2

virgin oil means base oil freshly refined from the crude oil, first round ð

damn, even I don't get to drink virgin water, I grew up drinking recycled water

Yup. There are oils out there which are made from recycled oil. Google valvoline nextgen oil.
  • Praise 1

Last friday had a chance to discuss something about engine oil with someone from a reputable oil company when she came to look for me in regards to other aspect of her life.

1) The engine oil brands  in the market are priced differently due to level of marketing, types of additives and AMOUNT OF VIRGIN BASE OIL in them. 

Is she a virgin?

• Praise 1

I did a bit of research about what @krieger have touch on. And yes, engine sure can be recycle and refine into new engine oil. 

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_oil_recycling

But however, if you take effort and time to go through all the engine oil bottle, none of them will tell you the content to it. There is no industry standard for them to indicate the concentration of the base oil out. 

So how do you determine your engine oil is good stuff? 

How-to.jpg

I am also not an expert but I am keen on finding out the best engine oil for my own car too. (: 

Usually, you will see engine oil manufacturer sponsor and endorse Motorsports event be in grassroots level to Formula 1 level. This is to induce confidence to the consumers that if the engine oil can be used in such a harsh environment, day-to-day driving is not a issue for you guys to use my oil. 

18893104_1761637497185279_88069064348208(Some trackie in Singapore.) 

Sources: https://www.facebook.com/MPMOilSingapore/

1508509992151.jpg

(Ferrari F1 Car) 

Source: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2017/10/gallery--the-best-images-from-the-united-states.html

Since, I dunno what is the ingredient inside, how to determine good engine oil? 

In today standard, there is a few bodies that classify engine oils. 

API (American Petroleum Institute), ACEA (Association des Constructeurs Européens d'Automobiles ), JASO (Japan Automotive Standard Organization), General Motors also have a engine oil specs called dexos and Respective Car Brand Manufacturer who have endorsed the engine oil. 

Basically, they are about the same. 

They test the oil, tell you good or not and they they license it with their branding. Think of it like "Halal" logo. If you go and have lunch with your Muslim friends, and you see the restaurant with a Halal logo, your friend will be more comfortable to enjoy that meal together with you. (: 

Let's take one of the most popular engine oil brand for a look. 

Tableau-produits-SHELL-HELIX.png

You can see that Shell Helix have multiple packaging with different accreditation. basically, the formula of the oil is the same. However, they send for different test to get it endorsed. And in order to save cost, they will market different packaging with different accreditation for different market. For Singapore, usually the most common standards for engine oil is API. so Shell will choose the packaging that have API standard to be marketed in Singapore. Because, if they list all the accreditation, there is a royalty fees they need to pay to individual accreditation bodies. Then the engine oil price will go up! 

Lastly, and the only thing to take home. 

I dare not say I tried alot of engine oils, but after driving for a few years. i tried quite a few thou. 

The key thing to take note is Manufacturer requirements, If they recommend you 5W-30, try stick to that and change your engine at recommended duration and mileage, whichever come earlier. And if you are a person who believe in a car that is built not bought, It really depends how much you push your car. If you drive a NA car and you turbo or super-charged it, best is to go thicker oil. Turbo car very hot one. Need thicker oil to tahan. 

And my last advise is to go for reputable brands and avoid parallel imports. Nevertheless, car is expensive in Singapore. Don't try to save that little money and get some snake oil. If engine goes wrong, and the company didn't buy product liability insurance, you might not get a single cents back because you have changed their oil.

Generally, all workshop in Singapore usually will stock some good stuff for customers one. Like Motul, Liqui Moly, Idemitsu and such...

I wrote this with no commercial purposes. This is purely a sharing note. And pardon me for my English. I am not a scholar. Just someone like you who like cars. (: 

Tks bro on your simple write out.

• Praise 1