Used 7 seater MPV - Best to get?

Lurpsexx

Hi all,

Am driving a relatively new sedan now, n with old parents n young kids in tow, car space is not enuf to ferry all at the same time..

Hope bros can kindly share your experiences in getting a used 7 seater MPV to meet yr family needs..

I'm partial towards honda odyssey (2012/2013 RB series) & estima, n was wondering if there's any other options available..

Thanks in advance for your kind inputs..kam Sia..

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2659369-odyssey-or-estima/

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

i went up genting with my sharan and the 2 models you mentioned were left far behind.

No turbo no talk.

Haha, thanks for your reply bro. I not planning to go uphill with my load..lol.. no turbo too.. but thanks for checking in.. :)

Hi all,

Am driving a relatively new sedan now, n with old parents n young kids in tow, car space is not enuf to ferry all at the same time..

Hope bros can kindly share your experiences in getting a used 7 seater MPV to meet yr family needs..

I'm partial towards honda odyssey (2012/2013 RB series) & estima, n was wondering if there's any other options available..

I think you got 2 of the best liao. lower down will be Wish or M5. 

• Praise 3

Hi all,

How often do you need to have 7 seats? And when you do, do you need boot/luggage space? 

12/13 ody is not sliding door one right? Is sliding door important for you?

if i'm not wrong, estima is significantly taller than ody of that gen, and should have more boot/luggage space. So if you need space when all 7 seats are occupied, then Estima might have an edge. Many years back, when we needed to use the third row of our Wish, we had to put the baby stroller in the front passenger seat. That was cos we had 2 child seats, one in 2nd row, one in 3rd row. Wife would sit on 3rd row with the baby, and the elder child was on the child seat in middle row. There was simply no boot space. 

Later on, after the kids outgrew the child seats, on the rare occasions that I fetched my (late) grandma around, she had a wheelchair, which would require at least one (if not both) 3rd row seat to be folded down...

• Praise 3

either choice is good, as mentioned. 

if you are ok with a step down, can consider Toyota triplets, Wish, Stream, Biante, Mazda 5. 

a further step down, Sienta, Freed, Mobilio. 

• Praise 2

My advice is to check out both MPV first, to feel for yourself and understand each of the pro and con. None is perfect but there will be one that eventually will tick the most box, and your choice shall become clear. Based on my own sourcing experience, these are some points I vividly remembered:

Estima has a slightly larger and deeper boot space, and will be very useful if you need to carry your barang barang when all 7 seats are up. The seat somewhat lack in body support, and older model come with 4 speed auto, which will affect both driveability and fuel economy.

Odyssey (2014 model) score with it low floor height, which is extremely easy for old folk to get in and out of the car. But big draw back is the fabric seat for 8 seater model which make the car feel cheap. Older model has lower ceiling height but offer better handling and driveability.

You can't go wrong with either. For me, I eventually settle for Sharan for the very same reasons cited by @Hamburger, and not forgetting it attract a lower road tax and offer relatively good fuel economy (for me).

Happy car shopping. [cool]

• Praise 12

also need to consider seating config

2-2-3 vs 2-3-2

the former with 2 captain seats has limo type space for 2nd row pax but at the expense of 3rd row pax while the latter has a more evenly distributed cabin space for all the 5 pax in 2nd and 3rd row

• Praise 4

also need to consider seating config

2-2-3 vs 2-3-2

the former with 2 captain seats has limo type space for 2nd row pax but at the expense of 3rd row pax while the latter has a more evenly distributed cabin space for all the 5 pax in 2nd and 3rd row

oh yes, this one...

Estima got 7 or 8-seater. Ody should be only 2 seats on 3rd row?

If so, then the 3 seats on Estima 3rd row can allow for 60:40 folding, which Ody's 2 seats on 3rd row can only fold 50:50.

• Praise 3

Hi all,

I echo Hamburger's view...no turbo no talk...Estima and ODC, full load will be a drag....even if you are not going up hill. (So up hill no need to say)

they are nice and efficient MPVs but if you are a driver who loves to drive, you will feel bored in these 2 cars after sometime...so if the joy of driving is high on the list, then die die no turbo no talk....the Contis are pretty decent nowadays....CGP4, Sharan, Touran and 2 GT, well some are 5+2....again a Bro here mentioned how often you need 7 seater...if not, it will be a good alternative....

my 0.02 cents....after u drive turbo... i think difficult to go back to non turbo....u should test drive and see which suits you best...

• Praise 5

If you are considering RB-series Odyssey versus the Estima/Previa, in terms of space, then I would say Estima/Previa will be better.

As for seating arrangement, in my view, I think bench seats for 2nd row is the most flexible. You can either seat 3 person or even 4 in the middle row if you have a lot of barang barang and need to fold down one of the seats at the 3rd row.

Am currently driving an RB1 (2006, 2-3-2 config) ... whenever I come back from trips to Malaysia, always need to fold down one of the 3rd row seats to fit all the stuff that my wife buys.

If you get a 2-2-3 config, then it would be a bit difficult if you have more than 6 pax and lots of stuff to carry.

• Praise 5

Phew! Really thanks a lot for all of your invaluable feedback! :)

Yes, in terms of drivability, I believe Ody is better, but space wise estima wins. I sat in estima often before, as my relative had one aeras.. the captain seats are comfy n space is good.. for Ody, I had a stream before, so the feel is about the same but longer n more space..

I'm not really going after drivability as compared to the space utility, as my aim is to ferry my family members n stuff around Singapore or JB only.. daily drive is to work n family members homes..turbo I didn't try before, but having sat once in a new forester recently, I got an experience with it n the pickup is indeed fun!

I echo Hamburger's view...no turbo no talk...Estima and ODC, full load will be a drag....even if you are not going up hill. (So up hill no need to say)

they are nice and efficient MPVs but if you are a driver who loves to drive, you will feel bored in these 2 cars after sometime...so if the joy of driving is high on the list, then die die no turbo no talk....the Contis are pretty decent nowadays....CGP4, Sharan, Touran and 2 GT, well some are 5+2....again a Bro here mentioned how often you need 7 seater...if not, it will be a good alternative....

my 0.02 cents....after u drive turbo... i think difficult to go back to non turbo....u should test drive and see which suits you best...

I 'downgraded' from Touran to Biante, but instead found more happiness haha. It really depend on whether you need that extra bit of space or not, your family size that is.

From a 9.5s century sprint car to one that is about 12.7s, I did not really feel the slowness but rather I had been so happy with the amount of space that it overshadowed everything else. Think needs is really different. Another person might just focus on the slowness and not think too much of the increase in space.

So yah, to me it is more of what is your priority in getting the car. It will help you in nailing that almost perfect car where you will enjoy everyday. Hearing too much feedback is only hearing what other people want, not what you want. You are buying the car for yourself and your family, so no one will know more than you or your family. Hope this advice is  logical to you haha.

• Praise 6

What about elgrand, stepwagon, alphard and viano

For sharan reliability remain a question for me. And i also feel the car smaller/shorter than estima or ody.

If looking for a used car from 12-14, then i think better not choose stepwagon. A colleague's husband drove that, and said he had a big problem getting spare parts... later on his workshop had to modify from other honda parts to fit his car...

but yes, if TS is not big on power and drivability, then the boxy MPVs might be an option. They have 8 seat options too and is even more spacious than estima/ody. Just need to check on availability of spare parts - which maybe the triplets will be more common?

• Praise 1

Why a sedan and not an mpv in your recent purchase? Or are you those who straddle kids on your lap thinking you won't get caught? [laugh]

So your intention is to sell or keep the current sedan?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1