Can buy this new engine oil in Giant? $17.90

Today went to Giant supermarket at Turf City and saw this new engine oil. Promotion now till 15 May. The certificate was shown at the display. Fully synthetic 5W40 17.90 for 4L bottle. Not sure if it is available in other Giant.

Can buy?

2hqgsp0.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

(edited)

If your car is WRX turbo engine, or high performance type, then avoid. Some of these cheap oil are for Euro market, our high temperature climate will thin the oil causing engine over heat.

For mass market cars engine, 5W40 is not an issue.

Edited by SGCMHello
  • Praise 3

If your car is WRX turbo engine, or high performance type, then avoid. Some of these cheap oil are for Euro market, our high temperature climate will thin the oil causing engine over heat.

For mass market cars engine, 5W40 is not an issue.

Thanks bro. Toyota Wish ok?
  • Praise 1

7 years old car

Actually,it can do.

Because most of them are just same thing but different packaging.

So the content of the cheap oil is the same as expensive oil excluding additives and formula.

So just try then, and please provide a field report after using.

But then,if engine becomes rough or sth,just replace the oil if oil cmi.

Wasting 17.90 is better than a big bill.

• Praise 2

Reading this thread and the other thread on cheap engine oil, my conclusion for myself is to avoid used, older B&B cars especially Toyota makes.

Not a disrespect to anyone here but really can’t understand the logic of scrimping on engine oil which is changed every 10K km or 6months, makes no sense to me to put in some crappy engine oil to the engine and save $30-40. It is only a few dollar more per month if the frequency of change is 6months......eat one plate less chicken rice per month can cover the cost already, not to mention can avoid gaining weight....

• Praise 4

Reading this thread and the other thread on cheap engine oil, my conclusion for myself is to avoid used, older B&B cars especially Toyota makes.

Not a disrespect to anyone here but really canât understand the logic of scrimping on engine oil which is changed every 10K km or 6months, makes no sense to me to put in some crappy engine oil to the engine and save $30-40. It is only a few dollar more per month if the frequency of change is 6months......eat one plate less chicken rice per month can cover the cost already, not to mention can avoid gaining weight....

Then what oils you recommend???

Olive oil, non fattening.

Hahaha

Same thought here, but olive oil still expensive, more expensive than this Meta oil.

Maybe some palm kernel oil is better, I think Duck or Cabbage brand. Sorry OT.

To come back to the question, there are mainstream brands that are also available in Giant or NTUC for tens of dollars more. Like Shell or Mobil1.

• Praise 1

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsletters/Gas-Diesel/July-1-2017.php

Here's an objective report on various oils, based on lab analysis of thousands of oil samples.  Conclusion - Don't worry too much about using cheap oils!

When buying cheap oil, just ensure it meets the grade and usual specs like ACEA and API (I am sure all do - Giant's Turtle oil defintely does) as specified by you car manual.  Sometime it is hard to find (like my car - 0W30 A5/B5) so I just have to put in something else!

• Praise 4

Here's an objective report on various oils, based on lab analysis of thousands of oil samples.  Conclusion - Don't worry too much about using cheap oils!

When buying cheap oil, just ensure it meets the grade and usual specs like ACEA and API (I am sure all do - Giant's Turtle oil defintely does) as specified by you car manual.  Sometime it is hard to find (like my car - 0W30 A5/B5) so I just have to put in something else!

Agree. Is there a pic showing the label/spec of this oil? If there are 2 and above certifications/meet standard, should be good enough.  

• Praise 1

Here and there is not necessary the same.

IIRC.

Twice my UOA was flagged as "Degradation" for 10k oil change as the additives max'ed out.

One of the occasion I was using Mobil Gold 0w-40 SM.

Also, at least twice, the UOA was flagged "Water" for 10k oil change due to water prescence.

I use a very popular inexpensive EO,  on both occasion afte rthat,  the engine top cover gasket leak.

Mobil 5w50 wasn't spared either,  traces of sludging at 10k.

Some instances,  the engine oil level actually increased.  [laugh]

Nothing wrong with the engine,  done 280k.

(edited)

BTW,  I did a search, Schnell and OWS both have the same company licensee name.   Not sure how true.  Cheaper to get Schnell.

Edited by Kklee

Twincharged
(edited)

Here and there is not necessary the same.

IIRC.

Twice my UOA was flagged as "Degradation" for 10k oil change as the additives max'ed out.

One of the occasion I was using Mobil Gold 0w-40 SM.

Also, at least twice, the UOA was flagged "Water" for 10k oil change due to water prescence.

I use a very popular inexpensive EO, on both occasion afte rthat, the engine top cover gasket leak.

Mobil 5w50 wasn't spared either, traces of sludging at 10k.

Some instances, the engine oil level actually increased. [laugh]

Nothing wrong with the engine, done 280k.

Where did you send the UOA? What engine? Sump capacity and engine size also determines if all is ok. Edited by Mkl22

Where did you send the UOA? What engine? Sump capacity and engine size also determines if all is ok.

Wearcheck.

Chevrolet Optra 1.6L 

4L (IIRC)

IMHO,   it's a combination of factors e.g. engine design, usage pattern, driving style and engine oil.

1st two can't change,  3rd difficult,  so change engine oil.  [laugh]

Twincharged

Wearcheck.

Chevrolet Optra 1.6L

4L (IIRC)

IMHO, it's a combination of factors e.g. engine design, usage pattern, driving style and engine oil.

1st two can't change, 3rd difficult, so change engine oil. [laugh]

Thanks. Just surprised that Mobil 1 gold also cannot make it.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1