Engine oil color after servicing

Xravenx

Hi all,

Need your advise on this; I did a servicing recently at a workshop in Ubi area. Decided to check the engine oil about 3-4days later, found that it was dark. Didn't think too much of it until my colleague saw and commented that the color was too dark. Compared his over 10years old car engine oil which was due for servicing, and the colors actually look similar. I contacted the workshop about this, and the boss and worker start telling me that the engine oil color is normal. They specifically say that only a clean/overhaul engine will have clean engine oil... It actually sounds bulls**tty to me, but I need advise on this. You can see the attached image of the engine oil, 4 days after servicing. Is this normal? Should I go and get them to change again? Engine oil is Xado, and I opt for the more expensive oil as it was suppose to be better. Car is Mazda 3 2014, bought in August 2015, last servicing done about 15k before this one. Image of engine oil attached. Note that this is at least after wipe-place in-wipe again checks.

Thanks for reading

post-77670-0-46222500-1535498925_thumb.jpg

post-77670-0-75250200-1535499093_thumb.jpeg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Supercharged

It looks normal to me.

A few points to consider

- even fresh engine has colour, especially wiping against white tissue paper

- residue oil in the engine. You won't be able to drain out 100% of the engine oil, my car for example, can only drain out 95% of the total engine capacity during an oil change

- method of oil draining. Oil will get pumped to various parts of the engine to do its job in a running engine, when the mechanic switch off the engine after parking the car on the lift, it will take some time for those engine oil to drain back (return) to the oil sump (pan). Time is money to workshop, so there will be more residue oil in the engine if they chop chop currypop.

- oil filter, if the oil filter is not changed, it will hold another 300ml~ish of old engine oil inside.

• Praise 6

杞人忧天

go read up more and stop listening to people that is half past six.

I will be more worried if the colour of the oil stays yellow.

• Praise 6

You never show what is the original colour of the new oil. How to compare?

Anyway Phang is right. After the mechanic drain the engine oil there will be leftovers in the oil pan. Mixed with new oil and run in after 3-4 days oil will definitely turn darker. If you wanna check best is when you collect your car.

• Praise 2

Hi all,

Need your advise on this; I did a servicing recently at a workshop in Ubi area. Decided to check the engine oil about 3-4days later, found that it was dark. Didn't think too much of it until my colleague saw and commented that the color was too dark. Compared his over 10years old car engine oil which was due for servicing, and the colors actually look similar. I contacted the workshop about this, and the boss and worker start telling me that the engine oil color is normal. They specifically say that only a clean/overhaul engine will have clean engine oil... It actually sounds bulls**tty to me, but I need advise on this. You can see the attached image of the engine oil, 4 days after servicing. Is this normal? Should I go and get them to change again? Engine oil is Xado, and I opt for the more expensive oil as it was suppose to be better. Car is Mazda 3 2014, bought in August 2015, last servicing done about 15k before this one. Image of engine oil attached. Note that this is at least after wipe-place in-wipe again checks.

Thanks for reading

I don't know about you but I have been conned before.

The WS guy said to come back in an hour and when it was done, paid and drove off.

First thing I noticed was the engine not reponsive compared to when I changed new EO previously.

Had doubt but decided to go to my colleague usual WS. Upon checking, it was determined that the EO was not changed at all and

I paid that A-hole for nothing. Same dark color and not the usual golden color.

Ch*mpi*n M*t*r at Alexandra Village. <----- AVOID AT ALL COST!  [furious]

• Praise 1

Twincharged

The WS guy said to come back in an hour and when it was done, paid and drove off.

First thing I noticed was the engine not reponsive compared to when I changed new EO previously.

Had doubt but decided to go to my colleague usual WS. Upon checking, it was determined that the EO was not changed at all and

Ch*mpi*n M*t*r at Alexandra Village. <----- AVOID AT ALL COST! [furious]

How to determine? Look, smell, feel and taste? You really cannot tell much. Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

Hi all,

Thanks for reading

bro so u believe u and your friend are more pro then the mech ??   [sly]

Ch*mpi*n M*t*r at Alexandra Village. <----- AVOID AT ALL COST!  [furious]

Did you check the oil filter?

Ch*mpi*n M*t*r at Alexandra Village. <----- AVOID AT ALL COST! [furious]

u mean Champion motor? Isnt that suzuki agent? Didnt know they got workshop at alexandra Edited by WangWang888
  • Praise 1

Hi all,

Thanks for reading

looks perfectly normal to me. 

For 5 years I changed my own EO and filter, so roughly I can tell. FYI, some EO come clearer when new while some may appear a little darker in color, but once they go into the engine, the cleanliness will change almost immediately.

As mentioned by many, there is no way to drain 100% of the old black oil out, so what ever left behind will mix and change the color of the new oil the moment the engine starts after the oil change. And yes, only a totally new/overhaul engine will let you see "clean" oil, but not for long too. 

When you said "Should I go and get them to change again? "   do you mean go back and do another paid oil change or request for them to change for you FOC? How are you going to proof that the oil is not changed? Unless you send it in for an evaluation. Going back and ask for a FOC oil change base on your perception and your colleague's comment is simply UNREASONABLE.  But if you are going back for another paid oil change for ease of mind, nobody will stop you, question is why would you want to go back to the same WS? 

Next time check your oil before you send it for servicing, and check your oil before you move off from the WS, see the different yourself.  You have all the right to check the oil before making payment,  so exercise that right if you are so worry of WS pulling a fast one on you. 

BTW, how many times you wipe-place in-wipe also not going to suddenly change the color of the oil, dont be silly.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

There is a scientific way to resolve this suspicion:

You can send it to a laboratory to perform a "used oil analysis", or UOA, but it'd probably cost as much or even more as another new oil change.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

杞人忧天

go read up more and stop listening to people that is half past six.

I will be more worried if the colour of the oil stays yellow.

put refine cooking oil inside will likely stay clean alot longer...  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

黑油就是黑黑的嘛,讨厌!!! [:p]

Someone I know used to get his car engine oil changed in jb. He said it was very cheap.

So I followed him in one day. Basically it's a small shop among some semi detached houses. One man (boss ) and maybe one or two workers will be there. The shop is so small it can only service one car at a time (so you are unlucky if there is are queue).

Anyway, cos there's almost nowhere to go within walking distance, the owner will provide the chairs for you to sit while they change the engine oil. You can see everything from how they change the oil to how they replace.

TS if such things worry you maybe you should go to such shops where you can see everything.

Hi all,

Thanks for reading

my car is 8500km from my last service, so due for servicing soon, later when I get to my car, let me take a picture of the oil and you can compare against your's, see what is BLACK... [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

stop listening to your "friend" he is an idiot.

oil turns dark because it is doing its job.  It keeps the carbon and other nasty byproducts of combustion in suspension so that the next oil change they can be drained out together with the oil. 

I will be worried if the oil remains clean and clear in use that means it is a shitty oil that cannot clean your engine.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4