Mercedes Benz A Class Gearbox Jerking Issues

Cmchang

Hello, good day to you.

I would like to have some advice on the gearbox jerking issue of Mercedes-Benz, A class model.  Is there any discussion on this topic?  Hope you can direct me to that link, thank you.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Internal Moderator

Hello, good day to you.

I would like to have some advice on the gearbox jerking issue of Mercedes-Benz, A class model.  Is there any discussion on this topic?  Hope you can direct me to that link, thank you.

Created a new topic for you. Please post your issues here.

Hello to all MB A-class owner (transmission: 7G-DCT),

Does anyone encounter the transmission jerking during gear changing or jerking even stay on 5th gear?

Sometimes after jerking, the gear (at 7th) will not change to lower gear when slowing down to 50km/hr.  The paddle shifters is not response as well.  When the vehicle reached less than 20km/hr, the gear will change very fast from 7th to 2th.

The temporary solution is to switch off the engine and re-start.  Everything will back to normal.

Unfortunately, this jerking issue is intermittent.  I sent my vehicle to CC but they can't find any problem.  Sign...

Appreciate for any feedback, thanks.

1st gen A class or the latest. Need to be more specific on the year made.

Sorry, not sure which generation.  It was manufactured in year 2016.

• Praise 1

Under warranty right? Have to let CnC manage it. 

No point going outside for a 2nd opinion.

Video it and show them if you can.

A lot of times, staff has no idea no matter how many times you go.

It is better to pay someone to diagnose.

After that, tell CnC how to fix it under warranty.

If no warning lights lit up the AD will not be able to find anything. Cos what they do is plug in the diagnostic tool to check for faults. If nothing show up to them there's nothing wrong. even if you go other places to get a 2nd opinion they will also do the same. What you will get is the same answer.

If I'm not wrong it's a sign the DCT clutches are worn. It's time for replacement. Once the clutches are worn they will slip much like a manual transmission clutch but becos DCT has two clutches when one clutch couldn't engage due to slipping the ecu or computer will try to engage the next one. As you have read or watch video on DCT one clutch engage odd number gears, other one engage the set of even number gears so you see your gears hopping like what you mentioned.

It is a DCT, if you drive like an automatic car, the clutch will wear prematurely.

Do you let your car creep in? (Not depressing the accelerator pedal while letting the car move forward?)

That is a no-no for DCT.

• Praise 1

For a manual transmission clutch plate it will also wear. The half clutch during slow traffic or on a slope/ramp. It's the same type of wear you cannot get away from when it comes to driving.

Whether it's a manual transmission clutch or a DCT clutch the contact medium is the clutch plate. No way of avoiding the replacement cost. Torque converter the contact medium is the fluid or hydraulic oil inside the drum hence no clutch or clutch wear. There are always pros and cons to everything related to cars.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

If no warning lights lit up the AD will not be able to find anything. Cos what they do is plug in the diagnostic tool to check for faults. If nothing show up to them there's nothing wrong. even if you go other places to get a 2nd opinion they will also do the same. What you will get is the same answer.

If I'm not wrong it's a sign the DCT clutches are worn. It's time for replacement. Once the clutches are worn they will slip much like a manual transmission clutch but becos DCT has two clutches when one clutch couldn't engage due to slipping the ecu or computer will try to engage the next one. As you have read or watch video on DCT one clutch engage odd number gears, other one engage the set of even number gears so you see your gears hopping like what you mentioned.

Yes most likely is due to clutch issues. Just watched a angmo video last night on how to choose a used B-class, and the narrator mentioned about it.

Yes most likely is due to clutch issues. Just watched a angmo video last night on how to choose a used B-class, and the narrator mentioned about it.

This DCT is still new to a lot of ppl including mechanics who are supposedly proficient but they still lack the relevance experience about the gearbox. Anyway....I hope TS can better communicate with the workshop mechanic to tell them his car's issue. Cos I know many ppl will just kpkb kick up a big fuss at the workshop and push everything to others. Knowing what is the problem is half the problem fixed.

It's just like going to the doctor. The doctor is not a fairy from the heavens he's just interpreting whatever the symptoms you tell the doctor. You know your body best. I so lor soh is becos I see many ppl communication fail and start to verbally abuse others. When you see something like this you know that person is an empty shell.

• Praise 3

This DCT is still new to a lot of ppl including mechanics who are supposedly proficient but they still lack the relevance experience about the gearbox. Anyway....I hope TS can better communicate with the workshop mechanic to tell them his car's issue. Cos I know many ppl will just kpkb kick up a big fuss at the workshop and push everything to others. Knowing what is the problem is half the problem fixed.

It's just like going to the doctor. The doctor is not a fairy from the heavens he's just interpreting whatever the symptoms you tell the doctor. You know your body best. I so lor soh is becos I see many ppl communication fail and start to verbally abuse others. When you see something like this you know that person is an empty shell.

I saw the same situation at the workshop where a customer was arguing with the mechanic, something along the line, "As a professional, how come you don't know how to advice on the issue when I explained to you." The mechanic just gave him the I have no idea what you're talking about.

I used to work as a IT helpdesk and people like to start with, " i have a problem with my computer ......". Full stop. No explanation of symptoms, how it occur, what is the situation you usually encounter the issue.

• Praise 1

Hello to all MB A-class owner (transmission: 7G-DCT),

Does anyone encounter the transmission jerking during gear changing or jerking even stay on 5th gear?

Sometimes after jerking, the gear (at 7th) will not change to lower gear when slowing down to 50km/hr.  The paddle shifters is not response as well.  When the vehicle reached less than 20km/hr, the gear will change very fast from 7th to 2th.

The temporary solution is to switch off the engine and re-start.  Everything will back to normal.

Unfortunately, this jerking issue is intermittent.  I sent my vehicle to CC but they can't find any problem.  Sign...

Appreciate for any feedback, thanks.

Sorry, not sure which generation.  It was manufactured in year 2016.

From D to R during parking, do you feel a jerk too? It comes randomly.

From 2 to 1 when slowing down to a traffic light, do you feel a jerk too?

From 2 to 1 when slowing down to a traffic light, before the jerk comes, do you hear a rattling sound too?

If the above are all true, then I know what's happening!

Edited by Pmet
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1