Car Plate Number Retention question

Maomao82

Have a question.

Have an existing car, traded in to AD, and agreed not to retain number when sign on sales agreement

But when new registered number comes out, not to my liking. Gg to collect my new car today/tomorrow

Anyway to  retain back the prev vehicle number? (One Motoring have not shown my previous already de-registered)

↡ Advertisement

Have a question.

Have an existing car, traded in to AD, and agreed not to retain number when sign on sales agreement

But when new registered number comes out, not to my liking. Gg to collect my new car today/tomorrow

Anyway to retain back the prev vehicle number? (One Motoring have not shown my previous already de-registered)

No. Once the AD had register your new car, you will be given a new number plate. Once you are issued a new number plate to your new car, you cannot choose to retain your old plate.

Alternatively, u can pay $1300 to retain ur old plate under ur name first. (Provided u dun have loan on ur old car and AD dont mine more owner count to the old car). If new car plate not to ur liking... u can put your old plate in. The question is... r u willing to pay $1300.

Otherwise, just retain and pay $100. Save the trouble

Edited by sHy3r

If AD have not register your new car yet, maybe still have chance to retain your current car plate just paying $100. If number already generated for your new car, then you have to pay $1300 to retain your old car plate and then transfer back to your new car.

Have a question.

Anyway to  retain back the prev vehicle number? (One Motoring have not shown my previous already de-registered)

New car not register yet to get new numbers, you can transfer your old plate number to your new car since the old car still registered under your name with LTA as mentioned by u. Now is whether AD will agree to this (due to sales agreement) or not as they have yet to de-registered your car for scrape or sell your old car to another person. Cost about $200/-plus. Think they have to do a swop for both the new car plate and the old car plate for your existing old car and new car.

However, if your new car already register under your name and given new number plate. You can still registered the old plate to your new car but that will cost around $1300 because you have to deregister the new car number plate on your new car and provided the AD is willing to do it for you. If your old car sold leow to another owner, then very difficult or your old car is scrape and deregistered leow, then I think not possible to get it back anymore.

I hope I am right.

Edited by Renegade777
  • Praise 1

I thought you have 1 month to retain your VRN after deregistration.

This is something new to me despite playing numbers plates for so many years.

Where to find the details?

It is possible.  Even for number retention case, the new car is assigned a new licence number first.

Only a day before collection, my car licence retention take into effect WHILE I am still driving my old car with the licence.

According to LTA rules, on change of licence number, owner have up to 24 hours to install a licence plate with the assigned number lor.

So 1 retention need to assign 2 new licence number.

New Car -> New Number

New car -> Retained Number

Old Car -> New number

Anyway, too late collect car already ?

No problem, PAY 200+ change new number again, you can actually CHERRY PICK at LTA one.

Have a question.

• Praise 1

It is possible. Even for number retention case, the new car is assigned a new licence number first.

Only a day before collection, my car licence retention take into effect WHILE I am still driving my old car with the licence.

According to LTA rules, on change of licence number, owner have up to 24 hours to install a licence plate with the assigned number lor.

So 1 retention need to assign 2 new licence number.

New Car -> New Number

New car -> Retained Number

Old Car -> New number

Anyway, too late collect car already ?

No problem, PAY 200+ change new number again, you can actually CHERRY PICK at LTA one.

Sounds cool.

Maybe single or double digits not taken up yet and don't need to place $1k to do bidding.

Curious..How long before the eligibility to change another new number plate with additional $200 ends?

Never bid a number before. But I hearsay 1 to 99 confirmed reserved lor and so are the rest of the golden number.

Even currencies are like that, last year I go bank change new notes, I got a 8888X, so I thought I will get the 88888 but reached 88887 skipped to 88889 lor ..... chey....

As for your question, anytime can change, you can go counter and choose one or now online liao.

But there is a problem, insurance need to update and may have an admin fee lor .....

Car dealer and owner have different payment terms, Dealer pay $100 to LTA and the retention period only 1 month while owner go LTA is $1300 and 6 months retention period lor.

Sounds cool.
Maybe single or double digits not taken up yet and don't need to place $1k to do bidding.
Curious..How long before the eligibility to change another new number plate with additional $200 ends?

Edited by Apple-Tree

Never bid a number before. But I hearsay 1 to 99 confirmed reserved lor and so are the rest of the golden number.

Even currencies are like that, last year I go bank change new notes, I got a 8888X, so I thought I will get the 88888 but reached 88887 skipped to 88889 lor ..... chey....

As for your question, anytime can change, you can go counter and choose one or now online liao.

But there is a problem, insurance need to update and may have an admin fee lor .....

Car dealer and owner have different payment terms, Dealer pay $100 to LTA and the retention period only 1 month while owner go LTA is $1300 and 6 months retention period lor.

Thanks. Didn't know that.

If one has the time he can camp at Lta every time they have new set of numbers until the desired one becomes available. IMO better than paying 1k

This is something new to me despite playing numbers plates for so many years.

Where to find the details?

Its correct, deregistered only

What you mean by that? Number plate cannot be retained by Temp transfer vehicle, only perm transfer vehicle and all the same rules and fees apply. There is no diff between dealer and consumer.

Dereg car and retain number or just plain retaining number can hold for 12mths

1. Dereg car, pay $100 to retain for 1 yr but if wanna place on a existing vehicle need tot op up 1200

2. Retain number out right, pay $1300, use it on exisiting car no further payment, use on a new vehicle prior to registration, LTA refunds $1200

3. Bidded a plate and need to use it, pay $321 incl GST. (either way for exisiting car or new car)

There is a way to pay 1300 to keep for another year instead of 1000 for 6 mths, u need a neutral vehicle that doesnt have finance obligaton to do. Increase in transfer count but can stretch the dollar

U confirmed WRONG lor.  I am a OWNER and I RETAINED my number lor.

Reading from onemotoring is for OWNER ownself do one.  Dealer got another set.

I watched the LTA messages of all the transactions throughout the buying process lor.

Your step 1 2 3 ALSO WRONG lor, as long as you want to retain number, MUST PAY $1300 FIRST. Regardless what you want to do with the number.

If you put retained number in a new car, you will be refunded the 1000+ lor, there is 3 options on the way to refund, so choose wisely.

Owner apply, retained number is valid for 1 year.  For dealer, ONLY valid for 1 MONTH lor, this is what I was informed by LTA as dealer transact.

What you mean by that? Number plate cannot be retained by Temp transfer vehicle, only perm transfer vehicle and all the same rules and fees apply. There is no diff between dealer and consumer.

Dereg car and retain number or just plain retaining number can hold for 12mths

1. Dereg car, pay $100 to retain for 1 yr but if wanna place on a existing vehicle need tot op up 1200

2. Retain number out right, pay $1300, use it on exisiting car no further payment, use on a new vehicle prior to registration, LTA refunds $1200

3. Bidded a plate and need to use it, pay $321 incl GST. (either way for exisiting car or new car)

There is a way to pay 1300 to keep for another year instead of 1000 for 6 mths, u need a neutral vehicle that doesnt have finance obligaton to do. Increase in transfer count but can stretch the dollar

U confirmed WRONG lor. I am a OWNER and I RETAINED my number lor.

Reading from onemotoring is for OWNER ownself do one. Dealer got another set.

I watched the LTA messages of all the transactions throughout the buying process lor.

Your step 1 2 3 ALSO WRONG lor, as long as you want to retain number, MUST PAY $1300 FIRST. Regardless what you want to do with the number.

If you put retained number in a new car, you will be refunded the 1000+ lor, there is 3 options on the way to refund, so choose wisely.

Owner apply, retained number is valid for 1 year. For dealer, ONLY valid for 1 MONTH lor, this is what I was informed by LTA as dealer transact.

Lol. Whatever u deem fit, I do number plate transaction more than u and that’s confirm.

Find out ur facts first. Says who retain is $1300, u didn’t know dereg to retain? Do u? Either dealer or owner can dereg to retain and it only cost $100. (Must be under PERM ownership for dealer)

So tell me,

1. can owner retain number after deregisteration? If yes, how much to pay?

2. So if dereg to retain, to put on new vehicle prior to registeration, how much to pay?

3. So if just outright retention but car not dereg, how much to pay?

4. So after outright retention without car being deregistered, how much to pay to replace another existing vehicle with existing VRN?

5. If outright retention without vehicle being dereg, how much to pay for number plate to be registered for new vehicle?

Owner/Dealer all subject to same terms and condition. Even ESA, no diff, why I say so? Cos I am a ESA and I do a lot of numberplate transfers. VRN that belongs to dealer under TEMP ownership cannot retain numberplate period! So there is no such thing such as 1 mth. There is no such thing as dealer retain is for 1 mth, then all my number plates no need sell Liao, lol.

The difference is TEMP ownership and PERM ownership, dealer can use TEMP ownership but CANNOT retain number. Only PERM ownership can retain numberplate.

Eg. I bidded a number from LTA, I paid 2000 waited for a year and near expiry, I replaced with a vehicle going to scrap (under my dealer PERM ownership) paid $321 and immediately deregistered the car with retention. I paid $100 and hold for another 12months. So I think I just hacked LTA, cos I retain for 1yr :)

Edited by cmcex
  • Dislike 1

Find out ur facts first. Says who retain is $1300, u didn’t know dereg to retain? Do u? Either dealer or owner can dereg to retain and it only cost $100. (Must be under PERM ownership for dealer)

I remember when I bought a car with the number plate i want back in 1996 then. I de-register the car but to retain the plate i 

paid LTA outright $1300 first. Then when i put on the NEW car yes LTA refunded me $1200. So technically is $100

Have a question.

Dear all, don't confuse TS la lol.

Specific to his case:

Based on his contract, already indicated and agreed not to retain number so it's out. Of cos can nego with AD since it is small matter.

New car already registered with new number (I believed TS has checked thru On Motoring?), probably already collected his car since today is 31 Dec.

According to TS's writing, his old car is to be scrapped? If yes, after dereg it is still possible to retain his number. Just that depending on the time period to use this existing number to replace the one on his new car, there will be difference in costs (considered replacing a VRN on an existing vehicle). Further costing be it $100 or $300 or the $1300 with $1200 be refunded are listed in the website with different conditions.

https://www.onemotoring.com.sg/content/onemotoring/home/selling-deregistering/retain-replace-vrn.html

LTA makes it so difficult with so many patterns to cater for different scenarios (also to make money la). No need to argue who is right who is wrong. We are here to share information and help each other in our driving community.

Cheers! And Have a Happy New Year 2019 in advance!

P.S. Maybe TS can update here if he managed to retain his number and share his experience since it is unique. He came in and asked on 24 Dec midnight and he be collecting the car later in the day. How many can read and provide solutions in time for him to follow up during this festive season? Haha. Another asked question liao MIA no sound no shadow. 

Edited by Wormee

I remember when I bought a car with the number plate i want back in 1996 then. I de-register the car but to retain the plate i 

paid LTA outright $1300 first. Then when i put on the NEW car yes LTA refunded me $1200. So technically is $100

Now is, deregister the car and retain is $100, Retain then dereg is $1300. u see the diff in the steps?

Both ways, the plate can hold for 12mths. In 1996 i am not sure, bcos those days, you cannot replace on existing car with retained/new bidded VRN. New bidded/Retain plates can only used for New car prior to registration.

Likewise, there arent any 1 month holding plates. The key here is the ownership must be permanent and not temp (which normally dealer use) Why am i so dead sure? Bcos i missed a dereg date for a car i bought with a number i wanna keep to sell, and as a dealer i went to LTA to appeal, their answer to me is that the car was auto deregistered bcos it passed the last day of COE, but as it is under TEMP OWNERSHIP, they cannot allow retention. Had the vehicle been under PERMANENT ownership be it my company name or personal name, even auto deregistered i can still retain paying $100. 

1. Dereg > Retain = $100 (hold for 1yr)

*Use it on new car prior to registration, no extra payment required. 

*Use it to replace an existing VRN, pay extra $1200.

2. Retain > Dereg = $1300 (hold for 1yr)

*Use it on new car prior to registration, LTA refunds $1200 

*Use it to replace an existing VRN, no extra payment required. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3