Toyota Corolla Altis Rim Size Issue

ismailmiller

Hi,

I'm driving a Toyota Altis Elegance 2008 model ZRE141R with Dual VVTI.

I have been having acceleration issue since I bought my car around a year ago. Found out that my car rims were 17 inch {225/45/17}. Went to Borneo Motors to try to resolve it and seems like they found my car in good condition. They recommended me to downgrade back to original rims which is 15 inch. I noticed the acceleration issue occurred after I changed from PS3 tire to Yokohama Blue Earth AE50.

I have already tried decarbonizing, engine cleaning and throttle valve cleaning but seems the issue resurface after a while again. This issue was slightly improved after filling 2 tanks of V power consecutively but I think in the long run it wouldnt solve this problem.

I am thinking of a few options.

1) Downgrade back to 15 inch tires which mostly likely restore some power back to the car.
2) Downgrade back to 16 inch.
3) Keep my 17 inch rims, instead change tires to Michelin PS4S Or Primacy to improve pickup
4) Do ECU Reflashing to try change and tune the engine to correct the problem. The previous owner installed a voltage stabiliser which I am not sure why, so I'm not sure if this is related.

Any advices from my experienced Bros?

↡ Advertisement

Hi,

I have been having acceleration issue since I bought my car around a year ago. Found out that my car rims were 17 inch {225/45/17}. Went to Borneo Motors to try to resolve it and seems like they found my car in good condition. They recommended me to downgrade back to original rims which is 15 inch. I noticed the acceleration issue occurred after I changed from PS3 tire to Yokohama Blue Earth AE50.

I have already tried decarbonizing, engine cleaning and throttle valve cleaning but seems the issue resurface after a while again. This issue was slightly improved after filling 2 tanks of V power consecutively but I think in the long run it wouldnt solve this problem.

1) Downgrade back to 15 inch tires which mostly likely restore some power back to the car.

3) Keep my 17 inch rims, instead change tires to Michelin PS4S Or Primacy to improve pickup

4) Do ECU Reflashing to try change and tune the engine to correct the problem. The previous owner installed a voltage stabiliser which I am not sure why, so I'm not sure if this is related.

reading your post, looks like you think you have an acceleration issue - not fast enough. why do you think it is an issue?

You said you had the issue since you bought the car, but then you also said the "issue" occurred after you changed the tyres, so more precisely  which is which?  If it is a tyre issues, then why would you want to downgrade the rim size?  I have an old Altis too, i never expect the car to run fast.

Edited by Ct3833

I am having sluggish acceleration, example when I want to accelerate from 0-40, the RPM will goes all the way from 2.5 to 3k. It is not smooth.

With regards to when I noticed this issue, I noticed I had this issue mainly a month after replacing my old PS3 tires to the Yoko AE50 tires. All this problems started. Previously when I started using this car, the acceleration was normal. 

I am having sluggish acceleration, example when I want to accelerate from 0-40, the RPM will goes all the way from 2.5 to 3k. It is not smooth.

With regards to when I noticed this issue, I noticed I had this issue mainly a month after replacing my old PS3 tires to the Yoko AE50 tires. All this problems started. Previously when I started using this car, the acceleration was normal.

What do you mean by not smooth from 2.5 to 3k rpm ? The car jerk or the rpm jump but the car did not accelerate ? Edited by Ct3833

Seems like the only variable is your tires. Just change back to a PS3 then you should get your car back.

What do you mean by not smooth from 2.5 to 3k rpm ? The car jerk or the rpm jump but the car did not accelerate ?

It hesitated and did not accelerate for another 1 or 2 secs even when i pressed more on the accelerator pedal. 

I think my question here is whether is it possible that the change from Performance Tires to Touring Tires (Yokohama AE50) can cause these kind of acceleration issues? Or should I be looking at rim size (I do believe it is possible as stock is 15, compared to current one which is 17). 

So to put it simple in layman term.

U feel that your car when equip with 17' rims n tyres pick up from 0 is slower la?

When compare with 15 ' setup.

Quite normal ma.

If u feel yokohama pick up slower.

Maybe can try pump abit more air

Edited by Beregond

It hesitated and did not accelerate for another 1 or 2 secs even when i pressed more on the accelerator pedal. 

I think my question here is whether is it possible that the change from Performance Tires to Touring Tires (Yokohama AE50) can cause these kind of acceleration issues? Or should I be looking at rim size (I do believe it is possible as stock is 15, compared to current one which is 17). 

I does not look like a tyres or rim size issue.

can you describe a bit more, what do you mean by hesitated.for example:

1. you step on the accelerator,  the RPM went up immediately from 2500 to 3000rpm, but the car  did not accelerate until 1 to 2 second later.

2. you step on the accelerator, the RPM did not change until 1 to 2 second later. and once RPM shot up, the car will accelerate . 

or other scenario? 

Hi,

IMHO.

Michelin PS3 and Yokohama AE50 may have different load index and speed rating.  

PS3 could be 91W where as AE50 could be 94W.

Tyre pressure can affect acceleration.  What's the present pressure?

Does your tyre squeak when going up MSCP or in covered carpark?

Is the voltage stabilizer still installed?    Voltage stabilizer could mask battery issue.   If the battery is weak, the alternator works harder and performance may be affected.

Suggestion is to check on tyre pressure based on load index on the tyre placard found near the driver door. 

Also check the battery condition. 

V-Power, de-carbon and throttle-clean may show improvement - the ECU will normalize and everything will be back to "normal'.

P.S.  I drive Toyota Altis 2014,  

IMHO.

Michelin PS3 and Yokohama AE50 may have different load index and speed rating.

PS3 could be 91W where as AE50 could be 94W.

Tyre pressure can affect acceleration. What's the present pressure?

Does your tyre squeak when going up MSCP or in covered carpark?

Is the voltage stabilizer still installed? Voltage stabilizer could mask battery issue. If the battery is weak, the alternator works harder and performance may be affected.

Suggestion is to check on tyre pressure based on load index on the tyre placard found near the driver door.

Also check the battery condition.

V-Power, de-carbon and throttle-clean may show improvement - the ECU will normalize and everything will be back to "normal'.

P.S. I drive Toyota Altis 2014,

My AE50 tires is 94W Extra Load.

Door Placard: Car Tire Size 195/65/R15 91H and recommended PSI 210 Front and Back.

Current Tire Pressure 240PSI

Tire squeal at times but usually when going through humps.

Voltage Stabiliser installed but I turned it off. My battery was replaced when I bought this car back in August 2017.

My AE50 tires is 94W Extra Load.

Door Placard: Car Tire Size 195/65/R15 91H and recommended PSI 210 Front and Back.

Current Tire Pressure 240PSI

Tire squeal at times but usually when going through humps.

Voltage Stabiliser installed but I turned it off. My battery was replaced when I bought this car back in August 2017.

I take reference from the 2014 Owner's manual

195/65R15 91H - 210/210

205/55R16 91V - 220/210

215/45R17 91V - 220/220

Suggestions,

Tyre pressure - perhaps lower it to 220 and test at night to see if the issue goes away. 

The voltage stabilizer - remove it.

The battery - consider to change. 

If the tyre squeal,  it means it is losing traction.   It is more noticeable when the contact areas are painted e.g. humps, direction signs on the ground, or smooth cement carpark floor.

The tyre pressure will determine the contact patch i.e. if the pressure is increased, the contact patch is smaller.

The load index also affects the contact patch.

At the same pressure,  94W is expecting more load to support because the weight of the car is fixed, it will likely not get "pressed" down enough for the optimal contact patch.

IMHO,  in your scenario,  it could be a tyre pressure issue or battery issue. 

When I switch from PS3 (91v) to PS4 (94w),  I could not run with the same pressure.

I can't recall if that affected acceleration.

On the battery,   the condition of the battery will affect the accelerator pedal input.

Just like the other day,  I topped up the battery water,  I can feel the throttle become more response even on a hot day.

HTH.

just MHO

if you have this issue only after 1 month you replaced the same size tire from PS3 to Ae50, I am don't think is tire or wheels size.

charging to standard 15 inch wheels and tire will definitely help to improve acceleration and fuel consumption.

( please note I do not advice you to down size to 15 inch)

Hi,

When is the last spark plug change? It could be due to worn plugs not igniting properly. Also, try caltex 98. It helps a lot for my vehicle (not altis) and its a lot cheaper than v power nitro+

• Praise 1

I does not look like a tyres or rim size issue.

can you describe a bit more, what do you mean by hesitated.for example:

1. you step on the accelerator, the RPM went up immediately from 2500 to 3000rpm, but the car did not accelerate until 1 to 2 second later.

2. you step on the accelerator, the RPM did not change until 1 to 2 second later. and once RPM shot up, the car will accelerate .

or other scenario?

I think thread starter can answer the 2 questions posted.

I changed the tire PSI To 220. Feels the same. My last pump was 98 at Caltex. Spark Plugs changed during last servicing.

Whne my current speed is 40km/h I hit the accelerator.. The car jerks and hesitates for about 1 second before RPM shoot ups to 2.5-3k and engine roars.

I Checked with my Mechanic. Battery problem won't affect acceleration. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my car 02 sensor though.. Can't Think if anything else or its a common altis problem

I changed the tire PSI To 220. Feels the same. My last pump was 98 at Caltex. Spark Plugs changed during last servicing.

Whne my current speed is 40km/h I hit the accelerator.. The car jerks and hesitates for about 1 second before RPM shoot ups to 2.5-3k and engine roars.

I Checked with my Mechanic. Battery problem won't affect acceleration. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my car 02 sensor though.. Can't Think if anything else or its a common altis problem

Fuel Filter change before.?

↡ Advertisement