How will you refresh the paintwork on your car

therock

Refreshing your car paintwork after a few years of ownership  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which will you choose to refresh the paintwork?

• Find a cheap workshop that can do a simple coat of paint
    • Do a detailed wax and polish
    • Do a Paint Protection
    • Other options - please specify

So my car is getting on in age and I felt that it's time to get a refresh, and spruce it up in time for Christmas, and welcome the new year..

There are some scratches and battle wounds, but the I've been washing, waxing it and I did the whole PPS / Nano thing when I bought the car.

So my first port of call was to polish it at a professional shop, but if there are paint shops which can do a new coat for not much more, then I'll consider that instead or any other options too?

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

33 minutes ago, therock said:

So my car is getting on in age and I felt that it's time to get a refresh, and spruce it up in time for Christmas, and welcome the new year..

There are some scratches and battle wounds, but the I've been washing, waxing it and I did the whole PPS / Nano thing when I bought the car.

So my first port of call was to polish it at a professional shop, but if there are paint shops which can do a new coat for not much more, then I'll consider that instead or any other options too?

Thanks

How old is your car? If it is near mid-life, can consider going for fresh coat of paint. They will do up the bodywork swee swee.

40 minutes ago, therock said:

Thanks

If it is still original factory paint, keep it and avoid doing a cheap paint job. Spend a bit more and get a good paint job but again depending how long more you intend to keep the car.

Edited by Maddriver

Internal Moderator

For me, I prefer to work on it myself. I like to clay and wax my own car. Tedious but satisfying.

Of cuz, my car is not perfect and will have sap, bird poo and swirl marks. So I willing to spend on professional detailing once in awhile too.

roughly how much does it cost to respray the whole car? 

if the car is dark colour eg grey ... can it be resprayed to a lighter shade eg silver?

will it cost extra?

Edited by Robin

I just go for car wash once in a while. One thing I've learned from driving to Malaysia is the mata don't stop lok-kok looking Singapore cars 🙂

Edited by Kklim

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Robin said:

roughly how much does it cost to respray the whole car? 

if the car is dark colour eg grey ... can it be resprayed to a lighter shade eg silver?

will it cost extra?

$1300 onwards if wanna change colour might be more. 

• Praise 1

depends on if there are battle scars, where the paint is gone. then no amount of polishing can bring it back to life.

i would try a good polish and then coating again. at the same time do a paintless dent removal.

I did my polish at detail lab with coating for $350 for my swift.

a proper external only same color decent paint job will run you around 1.5k. those less than 1k are using cheap paints and poor prep work. the lacquer will not last if you park in the sun often.

My frank answer is just leave it. Regular wash & DIY wax will do. Because when you trade in your car, the dealer won''t even bother to take a 2nd  look at your bling bling car and offer  a premium. And your bling car goes to car heaven prematurely at its 10th yr.

• Haha! 1

3 hours ago, therock said:

Thanks

most of the time dulled paint can be brought back to life with a good clay and polish.

but whether you do the clay and polish yourself or send it to a pro shop, if there are too many scars - parts where the paint has scratched off - then in my opinion no point, the nicely polished car will just highlight the scratched areas.

many scars will need new paint, can consider repainting just those scratched areas - usually bumpers only.

repainting would be my last choice - like some bros have said, keep your original paint if you can.

Thanks bro
My car is reaching it's fifth year, and I had the misfortune to have malicious scratches in the first week, which no one has been able to polish off.. 

There are no dents, just scratches. I guess the metalwork is tough, but the paintwork isn't..

I don't intend to change the color, just a refresh.. 
But if the costs are so high, then I may not.. I thought it was a few hundred dollars...

I've been using Nu polish and some other stuff, and I time it to after my AD services the car, because they really clean and vacuum it thoroughly..  

12 minutes ago, therock said:

Thanks bro
My car is reaching it's fifth year, and I had the misfortune to have malicious scratches in the first week, which no one has been able to polish off.. 

There are no dents, just scratches. I guess the metalwork is tough, but the paintwork isn't..

But if the costs are so high, then I may not.. I thought it was a few hundred dollars...

I've been using Nu polish and some other stuff, and I time it to after my AD services the car, because they really clean and vacuum it thoroughly..  

Sorry to hear about the scratches on the bodywork. This will need repainting.

If its me I would consider this - how many panels are there that are scratched/need repainting. Not talking about dulled paint here, but scratches that have removed the paint such that not amount of polishing can restore that.

If there are like 2 or 3 panels, I would consider repainting those panels, and clay/polish the other panels. Not going to be 100% exact color match but a good compromise between costs and aesthetics. Each panel should cost $200/250.

Thanks, do you know any reasonably priced places?

It's the hood and the left front door... so I worry about an obvious difference in color? 

48 minutes ago, therock said:

Thanks bro

Fifth year is a nice timing. If you decide to respray, you have another 5 yrs to enjoy the kim kim look.

12 minutes ago, therock said:

Thanks, do you know any reasonably priced places?

It's the hood and the left front door... so I worry about an obvious difference in color? 

Think the difference will be obvious if you do not do up the other panels.

Hence I suggested clay and polish the panels that will not be repainted, and then repaint the hood and nearside front door.