Can buy the Volvo S40 1.8 (pre-owned) ?

Spidy25

Neutral Newbie

Looking for a car for my wife. Safety is number one consideration, so Volvo comes in mind.

Budget is below $80k, so when I saw an ad in the paper saying a 2002 S40 1.8 going at $78.8k I got interested.

But I am having problem finding the spec for this model. Anyone can help ?

Would also like to hear from Volvo owners out there, how is this model and also how is SM aftersales service ? Is the car reliable and how easy is it to get service outside. I read in the forum that SM sold this model at a lost ? What's the reason and will this mean that parts and support are limited or affected ?

My wife go Msia once in a while as well, so would also like to know if a Volvo breakdown in Msia is it easy to get help ?

Am also considering Camry 2.0, but a friend who got into an accident before in a Camry told me that her Camry crushed like a tin can. She said she was lucky to survive the crash but will never buy another Toyota (or most Jap car) anymore.

↡ Advertisement

Hi there

Great to hear safety is a top priority on yr shopping list. All S40s come wif 6 airbags, whiplash protection seats, safety cage, 4 ch ABS, side-impact protection system. The 1.8 S40 is a little underpowered and the GDi engine is prone to carbon buildup. But for juz a few grand above that, a better buy would be a 2002 model S40T4 which is top-of-the-range S40 and has all the goodies the 1.8 lacks, i.e DOHC twin-scroll 2.0L turbo, traction control, better suspension, electric seats, cruise control, 5spd auto, etc. Best to buy one that's still under warranty (most of the 1.8 ones are nearing the end of their warranty). Parts is no problem and there are a few outside workshops who can do volvos. U can PM me if u need more info. wink.gif

Hello

I strongly discourage you from getting the Volvo S40. My Dad has a 2002 1.8 model. Lousy pick-up and heavy consumption at around 7-8km/l. The body is too heavy for the 1.8 engine. It is struggling when the car is fully loaded with 5 people and ascending a slope e.g. Kent Ridge Park.

Throughout our 3 years of ownership, I have many unpleasant brushes with SM service advisors. They are not proficient in trouble-shooting. What is worse - the car was dented, paint was scratched when we sent the car to SM for routine servicing or trouble-shooting.

Build construction is not top-notch. If you open the doors, look at the insides of the door and observe how many pieces of metal are connected by spot solder joints. The most obvious area is:

Midway between the vertical portion of the front doors - the horizon which separates the glass and the lower door panel.

If you take the effort to compare the quality of the welds, you will notice that they are not homogeneous.

In addition, the aircon switches melt after 26 months of ownership. SM refuses to change the switches because they attribute this to the melting of a 'soft-touch' effect wax applied on the knobs. If the knobs cannot stand the heat, it is up to anybody's guess which other parts cannot tolerate our tropical heat.

For the price bracket, I would rather look for a used Skoda Superb 1.8T or VW Passat. The new Passats cost around $94k at the moment.

I have been working in Austria for over a year now. Volvos are never highly regarded in countries like Italy, Germany, Austria or France. For almost the same money, cars in the VAG group offer better overall build quality.

Neutral Newbie

[reply]

The new Passats cost around $94k at the moment.

That's the 2.0 version, oso will be like S40, underpower sweatdrop.gif Get the 1.8T for Passat wink.gif

Cheers sunny.gif

Looking for a car for my wife. Safety is number one consideration, so Volvo comes in mind.

Budget is below $80k, so when I saw an ad in the paper saying a 2002 S40 1.8 going at $78.8k I got interested.

My wife go Msia once in a while as well, so would also like to know if a Volvo breakdown in Msia is it easy to get help ?

Am also considering Camry 2.0, but a friend who got into an accident before in a Camry told me that her Camry crushed like a tin can. She said she was lucky to survive the crash but will never buy another Toyota (or most Jap car) anymore.

Bro, while Volvos or Bimmers,Mercs,VAGS are cars built with v high safety standards to EuroNCAP4..etc..u need to remember that driver's awareness to safety is still nbr.1 . it's de attitude behind the wheel that counts.

Jus my 0.02cts

Neutral Newbie

[reply]

Skoda Superb 1.8T - same engine but cheaper price wink.gif

a pity we do not have the TDI engines in Singapore

Yes agree nod.gifnod.gif longer somemore it's juz a China verison of Passat 1.8T

Juz need to add some body kit and chg the rim, and it'll look chio inlove.gif

Cheers sunny.gif

Hi,

I own a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI in Austria. It is not the power that matters, but the torque.

Max power: 90PS at 4000 rpm

Max torque: 240Nm at 1900 rpm

I am already hooked to this car in terms of driveability and efficiency (average 5.3l/100km).

post-11-1109118656_thumb.jpg

Neutral Newbie

[reply]

Skodas are made in Czech Republic. wink.gif

I know nod.gif I juz want to say the Skoda Superby is sharing the platform with Passat 1.8T (China version) thumbsup.gif

Cheers sunny.gif

Gus gawd!! ( hope I got the spelling right)

U got a cool ride..the 1.9TDi is a solid performer with good FC. Agree with you on the torque part.

I had driven the 2.5V6 TDi SuperB and was amazed at the acceleration n the refinement. 163horses may b nuthing to shout about but a torque of 320nm@1200rpm is YUMMY!! and that is stock!

Too bad in Singapore Diesel tax is very high! Otherwise most of us would get a VAG TDi now. since it has de most enviromentally emissions.

Cheers

p.s sorri to hijack thread.

Hello and Happy CNY,

I am on a 15 month training stint in Austria. My dad is still keeping his S40 because he feels v safe driving this car. BTW the a/c knobs are getting very sticky after the 'soft-touch' wax has started to melt. The fan is getting 'lunatic' too. Sometimes, it just spins at a higher speed when u switch it to 1 or 1.5

Honestly, I am not very satisfied with the S40. Very few people in Austria wants to own this car. Lousy fuel economy even for the diesel powered engines, expensive parts.

Are you still with your T4?

Gong Xi to u too, bro! yep, still got the T4. but luckily dun hv the same melting plastic problems and whatever bugs hv been promptly tackled by SM under warranty. still a happy camper so far. smile.gif

↡ Advertisement