2006 Kia Rio

Jack_jack

Neutral Newbie

2006 Kia Rio5 Preview

Link: http://www.thecarmagazine.com/en/info/road...=38159&make=Kia

First, at this year's Geneva International Motor Show, and then in New York, Kia introduced its all-new never before seen subcompact, the Rio. Hold on a second. Didn't the South Korean brand already do that at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit? While this is indeed true, the vehicle introduced in Europe and then in the Big Apple was a practical and sporty five-door liftback, a body style that appeals to European buyers and trendy North Americans. The Detroit debut was of the notchback four-door sedan, which is favoured by the less trendy on this side of the globe.

The whole notion of separate release dates and international debuts is just a not-so-subtle hint as to how Kia is planning to play its future cards in a big way. The South Korean firm, owned and controlled by that country's other automotive giant Hyundai, wants to project itself into the top five automobile manufacturers in the world by 2010. There's no better way to get the attention of the public than by releasing its cars to the right audience at the right time.

As with the Sportage SUV, the Spectra compact and the pocket-sized Picanto (not sold in North America), the Rio has been revamped under Kia's new corporate strategy. Bearing the weight of a reputation for building low-quality, bottom-rung vehicles (the worst offender being the original Rio), Kia hopes that the new liftback and sedan will improve the company's and model's images in customers' minds.

"The new Rio offers customers more space, more power, higher performance, better handling, a smoother ride and enhanced fuel economy," says Mr. Yong Hwan Kim, VP of Kia Motors. I'd say that's as good a start as any.

From the technical specifications list, the Rio5 doesn't appear to offer anything special. It rides on a small, compact chassis that has MacPherson struts in front and a space-saving torsion beam in rear. Of course, power steering will be standard, but really, this means little as the previous car utilized these readily-available technologies. What will count, however, is the way the car rides, steers and corners. Kia's press release beams that the car will deliver "responsive handling and a supple, comfortable ride," but we'll reserve our comments until we drive it.

Regardless of how well it drives, the new Rio5 is already shaping up to be a much better vehicle in terms of its design. Space has been used more efficiently by reducing overhangs and creating a 'cab forward' body. At less than four metres (less than 157.8 inches) long, the new Rio5 is both shorter than the RX-V model it replaces, but also the 4.2 metre (165.4 inch)-long new-generation sedan. The more compact length sees a slight increase of width by 15 mm (0.6 inches) and a whopping growth in height and wheelbase length - an incredible 50 mm (2.0 inches) taller, and 90 mm (3.5 inches) longer, respectively. These increases will, without a doubt, project the Rio from cramped to reasonably spacious.

If the Rio5's styling may be familiar to you, this is because the production variant was previewed last September at the 2004 Paris show with the Sport concept. In the transformation to a production model, the concept's sleek, Lexus-like lines and toned figure may have been lost, but the general shape and profile have been maintained. Definitely taller, the Rio's facial details including the headlamps and grille have been stretched upwards, while the fascia is finished with black plastic rub strips instead of sleek, wrap-around LED appliqu

post-16-1113531120_thumb.jpg

post-16-1113531121_thumb.jpg

post-16-1113531122_thumb.jpg

post-16-1113531123_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
Wow, looks cool! But looks smaller than current rio.

I read that the new Rio hatchback is in fact shorter overall as compared to the current "stationwagon" model. But Kia has shortened the front and rear overhangs and lengthened the wheelbase of the new car to liberate more interior room for passengers. So yes, it's smaller, but it's also roomier and handles better.

If Kia can maintain the new car's price to that of the current model's, they'll have a strong seller here.

Neutral Newbie
I feel that there are traces of old rio, especially the lights. But looks a bit like Liana also.

You should see the pre-production model's interior (as shown in the attached image below). Very, very dumpy! Thank goodness someone in Kia had the cow sense to use warmer colours and better materials.

post-16-1113548889_thumb.jpg

Neutral Newbie
lines definately stolen from the old Ford Focus. Headlights a bit picanto style... Nice effort by KIA. I think Korean cars today have come a long way...

I won't exactly call it "Focus-inspired." But it certainly has a play with merging lines and angles, especially when viewing the rear lamp clusters from the side.

Neutral Newbie

Ya they need some time to improve also. The current interior of rio is so 'plastic' feel. Leather quality is not as good. You know when the new rio will be available?

Neutral Newbie

No word yet on when it's gonna be released. Perhaps later this year. I doubt they'd wait till 2006 to release it. From the looks of it, the car is production-ready at this point.

If the new Rio is priced at around S$40,000 like the current model, Kia will do pretty well. It's basically an improved Hyundai Getz with a longer wheelbase (and hopefully, a lower sticker price).

I feel that there are traces of old rio, especially the lights. But looks a bit like Liana also.

It looks like a Cerato to me and a little Fiesta on the side.

I think the first pic of interior u post look nicer... but i dun think Singapore will get that kind of the 2nd pic interior u posted.

but but...the current rio's interior is a bit cmi IMHO. I always have this fear that I'll break the door handle when I sit in my colleague's rio

Neutral Newbie
I think the first pic of interior u post look nicer... but i dun think Singapore will get that kind of the 2nd pic interior u posted.

Were you referring to the following as the "2nd pic?"

2006kiariointeriorpreproductio.jpg

This was merely a pre-production mock-up. My guess is that Kia will re-use the same materials in the Cerato and the Sportage in order to minimise costs through economies of scale. The cream-coloured interior images should be closer to production specs.

↡ Advertisement