Active vs Passive Setup

Ghunk

Hi All,

I am currently running an Alpine 9887 HU with 2 individual 2 channel amps. Both amps are of different brands and I have adjusted their gains to match.

Questions:

1. The HPF crossover point for the tweeters cannot be set anything below 6 kHz, else some clipping can be heard. What is the recommended cutoff frequency for the tweeters?

2. Cannot find the info but remember reading somewhere that the tweeters cannot be connected directly to the amps without some kind of capacitors or resistors, true?

3. Will connecting them direct damage the tweeters if I am careful not drive it to too low a frequency? Nothing lower than 1 kHz?

Thanks in advance.

↡ Advertisement

i first time play ICE also..

less than 3months spent close to $2K already..

- Focal 165VR 2-way component x 1 set

- Focal FP2.75 2ch amp x 3 set

- Focal 27V1 11" sub x 1 set

- Pioneer 8350 HU x 1 set

[bigcry] [bigcry]

but no regrets.. Shiok!!

i first time play ICE also..

less than 3months spent close to $2K already..

- Focal 165VR 2-way component x 1 set

- Focal FP2.75 2ch amp x 3 set

- Focal 27V1 11" sub x 1 set

- Pioneer 8350 HU x 1 set

[bigcry] [bigcry]

but no regrets.. Shiok!!

i first time play ice, first setup cost me 2.4k in total 3 weeks back.. [bigcry] and im still not satisfied as i feel my subwoofer not strong enough. looks like more holes in the pocket!

i first time play ice, first setup cost me 2.4k in total 3 weeks back.. [bigcry] and im still not satisfied as i feel my subwoofer not strong enough. looks like more holes in the pocket!

why not quit ICE? get a decent home hifi system

me first time too, 1 time 4k, nv look back.. but not looking forward either. pok liao [knife]

(edited)

I use Focal brand too. My front is KR2 and my amp is Focal 4.75. However, my sub is 12' from Soundstream and so is my monobloc.

Do u have a monobloc dedicated to your woofer? If you want to have bass, get a ported enclosure for it. However, quite hard to control. Mine is a sngle hole ported enclosure.

Are you running active? If so, set ur Low setting to abt 18db. If you run on passive. Not much to tune.

Best get a processor to run active.

My current setup is Pioneer P8450BT HU

Pioneer P80 HU (act as a processor).

1 x Focal 4.75 4 channel amp.

1 x Front Focal KR2.

1 x Rear Pioneer speaker (duno wat coaxial speaker but can match my focal front very well).

1 x Soundstream lil' Wonder Monobloc

1 x 12' subwoofer with single ported enclosure.

1 x Capacitor

1 x GPS module (link up to my Pioneer P8450BT to have Papago GPS).

1 x DVBT module (to watch digital TV channel).

I am running a 45A battery on my 2008 Vios.

Also I have

1 x ITB100 DVR

2 x camera (Reverse and front bumper camera)

1 x rear view mirror with LCD display (meant for front bumper camera)

All round floor LED

4 x Scuff plate with LED

Front running daylight LED.

3 x Cigar lighting socket (two spare infront with USB charging + 1 for boot for fridge (sometime use only)).

Edited by Gdspd08

Neutral Newbie

My take will be just to research and whack 1 time pain. No point change already, few weeks later change again.

Hi all,

Does anyone know whether Pioneer 8750 supports active setup?

Thanks.

Hi I am using 8750 with two way active setup and mosconi processor.

Hi I am using 8750 with two way active setup and mosconi processor.

May I know roughly how much is the mosconi processor?

Any workshop to recommend?

Thanks.

Basically any HU can do active setup. What the processor do is take in analog signal from your HU and convert to digital and process the signal then only convert back  to analog and pass to AMP for amplification.

Certain processor can take in digital signal direct and to cut off analog to digital conv but not all HU have optical out.

I use Audision bit 8.9 processor with 8ch amp in one box.

Hi all,

Does anyone know whether Pioneer 8750 supports active setup?

Thanks.

May I know roughly how much is the mosconi processor?

Any workshop to recommend?

Thanks.

Around $1100 with installation, but I advise you to not look into price but instead you should go to a good shop to properly install and tune it. Just google around and you will find a few reputable audio shops.

Neutral Newbie

Is it possible to do an passive speaker setup with active subwoofer? I think can tap signal from default back speakers but I forgot if my woofer amp can split the Low signals.. but is possible right? Without resorting to active setup?

Is it possible to do an passive speaker setup with active subwoofer? I think can tap signal from default back speakers but I forgot if my woofer amp can split the Low signals.. but is possible right? Without resorting to active setup?

i believe you mean by active subwoofer? there are 2 terms.

an active subwoofer is simply an amplifier and subwoofer combined. by buying a non active subwoofer, you would need to get another amplifier.

passive setup means using crossovers while active setup means using a dsp/processor.

Neutral Newbie

i believe you mean by active subwoofer? there are 2 terms.

an active subwoofer is simply an amplifier and subwoofer combined. by buying a non active subwoofer, you would need to get another amplifier.

passive setup means using crossovers while active setup means using a dsp/processor.

No. I do mean non active woofer + separate Amp. I have a set from my previous setup, but want to go passive component speaker setup + the separate amp+Sub woofer setup running from my factory radio

No. I do mean non active woofer + separate Amp. I have a set from my previous setup, but want to go passive component speaker setup + the separate amp+Sub woofer setup running from my factory radio

yes, you can do that.
↡ Advertisement