What can result to this handling problem?

Panda

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

I've recently encountered a general degradation in handling.

1. General feeling of sogginess when changing directions, changing lanes.

2. Soggy feeling at cornering, car tends to roll more and understeer more at the end of the corner.

3. Ride tends to be more bouncy.

4. Steering pulls in more than 1 direction (subjective, can be ignored perhaps)

5. High speed braking, steering vibrates at high frequency.

I just hope its not a problem at the chassis level.

Anyone with similar experiences or some pointers?

Thanks!

↡ Advertisement

Dun think it's a chassis problem. When was the last time u went in for a wheel alignment & camber adjustment? The sogginess could also be attributed to a simple thing as under-inflation of tyres.

For item 5, sounds like your brake discs are warped. Either get them machined or replaced depending on the age of your car and whether it's been machined b4.

BTW, what car u driving?

Neutral Newbie

Check:

1. Shock absorber and suspension.

2. Steering free play.

3. Power steering liquid.

4. Tyre pressure and balancing.

5. Wheel alignment.

Cheers!

Neutral Newbie

Hmm... I dun suppose it's warped. Visual inspection and molesting the rotors, they seem pretty fine. Moreover, I haven't even worn out my 1st set of brake pads (and their stock pads). [:/]

Dun think tires are under-inflated too. I've re-inflated them to 33psi (warm) since the rainy season is over. [:)]

Alignment... hmm... I do wanna get them checked. But last checked alignment was 5 weeks back. My alignment check is done at least quarterly. [:)]

Am just worried about the struts... hmm... i can sense that slight tugging at my wallet as the dollar notes seem eager to leave me into someone else's hands again... [:|]

[laugh] Thanks man.

Me driving the old man car loh. Corolla.

Neutral Newbie

Hi Jagash,

1. Yes, priority on my list. Also my worry. Dun wanna spend money again. [:(]

2. Steering free play should be okay. The car is new!

3. Electric power steering. [:)]

4. Pressure and balancing okay. No high speed vibes, no jittery teeth.

5. Alignment should be okay I suppose...

Thanks! [thumbsup] Looks like money gonna be gone liow... [:(]

Ahh...new 'rolla. Could the sogginess be a characteristic of the comfy suspension setup? Sounds like TRD calling out for u! [sly] I believe another G9 owner, Cool, has done something to improve his G9's handling. U could get tips from him.

Neutral Newbie

Hi Icerain,

If car is new, you must insist agent

to change the suspension and absorber

without cost.

No need to come out money, leh!

Cheers!

Neutral Newbie

Erm... it's a degradation bro. Like a week ago it was not like this, very fast over a couple of days i can feel it coming. [:/]

If i throw the car into a corner, now I have to seriously compensate for the understeer characteristic.

I started to notice it one day when I entered a filter lane which I drive through many times daily, which I'll exit on the outer lane comfortably, usually near limits, I'll put the car well within a ruler's length from the right curb. But that time, i felt as if the head of the car seems to be pointing in slower than my usual expectation even though I was well within the handling limits. In the end i had to compensate with a tighter twist off-throttle, which gave a very sudden extra roll to the car. dunno how to describe la... basically not within expectation... Aiya I so loh-soh. [shakehead]

Neutral Newbie

Hi Jag,

I dun think agent will do anything for me in my case... [:/]

I'll just try to be extra extra careful for now... but... it feels so sian to drive now... having lost that happy feeling and confidence I had when everything was so usually within expectation.

But thanks guys! [thumbsup]

I'll be on a lookout for a cheap change of struts. Probably the front I guess.

It feels like driving a pure aluminium block now... so... compressable and mallable... [laugh]

[confused][confused][confused] Err...maybe your driving improved in the past week and now suddenly u can detect faults more easily???

Or u could take a ride in a taxi and u will instantly appreciate how well your 'rolla handles in comparison. [laugh][laugh]

Seriously, being a new car, can't really attribute any of the faults to ageing or wear & tear as u seem to have done all the necessary stuff. Next stop: BM?

Neutral Newbie

Hmm... no lor... its like everyday you drive this road many times, so much so you know exactly every pot hole, every dimple, every manhole cover, right down to the curb edge like 2nd nature. So when something is different, and it becomes consistently different again and again you can sense it... [sweatdrop]

Wear and tear? Hmm... I just receieved advice that the front struts are weak. Probably I guess... But BM? [shakehead] No way Jose! [laugh] I'm banned there.

Neutral Newbie

But I've always been nice and decent to the car. Cross hump slow slow, strips slow slow, bumpy roads slow slow... everything slow slow... [sweatdrop]

Car is weak man... [:(]

Neutral Newbie

What to do....they don't make cars that really last like they used to back in the older days.....

I stll remember my good old toyota corolla which I drove for 10 years from 1988 before scrapping it back in 1997thumbsup.gif......no repairs at all other than servicing for the first 7 years.......fully mod the fella after that..and it served me faithfully through countless adventures in Midnight sprint in Orchard Road, Lim Chu Kang.......and also Pasir Gudang ........before retiring in 1997.....bigcry.gif really miss it.....

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Oh Eddie dear! *pat pat* But then again, you retired that faithful baby for a Saab... [sly]

Now what can I say? A car that finally have you clinging on to the leash? Or its still just tagging behind your heels? [rolleyes]

[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Fierce man. Yeah. Cars quite flimsy looking nowadays. No, not flimsy looking, they ARE filmsy. [mad]

Edited by Icerain

Neutral Newbie

No, lah....after that was a Mitsubishi Mivec which I lovingly fill her up with all the mods and accessories and also a very good ICE system and then 3 yrs later, send her into the hand of an angel looking but demonic girl who takan her really bad. Really sad bigcry.gifbigcry.gif .....Thereafter I got my humber saab.....sunny.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif which I bring out for a good ruuning everyday with me clinging on to the leash....laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Hiya! You driving the new Corolla? Hehheh... I wanted to get it last weekend after the govt announced the 100% loan, but thought otherwise in the end... I love my Vento! [thumbsup]