Hybrid and Electric Cars Forum

Duckduck

Hi Mods, please consider creating a thread purely to discuss hybrid or electric vehicles. This is the future of automobiles and it would be good to have a common area to post such related topics.

↡ Advertisement

Bump for this.

Will be good to facilitate discussions now, with the announced rebate doubling to 40% of OMV.

Give me a turbo injected diesel anytime. Maybe a NG conversion of our existing cars if more fueling stations are setup.

This hybrid thing is jumped upon by so many people because it is some sexy technology.

Yes, but too bad our govt is dead against diesel cars on the road. [:|]

Isn't the good thing about hybrid that it works as intended without having to change existing petrol station infrastrutcure? And as and when there are more electric filler next time, one can modify the car to be charged directly by them also. Sexy can be practical too. [gossip]

Yes the future are hybrids. It is predicted that in >10 yrs a large % of cars will be hybrid.

Heres a list of future concept hybrid cars.

1. Subaru B5 Turbo Parallel Hybrid(assumed Impreza replacement and 260bhp wif 17km/l FC!!).

2. Honda FCX saloon hybrid.

3. Merc saloon hybrid.

4. Toyota Estima hybrid.

5. Mit Evo Hybrid.

6. Subaru R series hybrid.

Im lookin at the Honda FCX coz its dam cook lookin.

i would only go for hybrids if i don't have to replace the banks of battery after 5 years at a cost which would wipe all the petrol savings.

hence, my preference for diesel. or else,i hope the capacitor type hybrids would go into mass manufacturing soon.

U r absolutely right. That is a major concern. My advice is to wait for hybrid car development to mature first to a solid and acceptable product then purchase them. This will take a few year more. Rught now hyrbid cars are still being refined price and capability wise.

agreed!

forget petrol powered + electrical powered (vehicles) which have skinny tires, flimsy bodies and the like.

if saving environment is your focus, the europeans are the most environmentally friendly people and the techonology for tomorrow is here today in teh Euro IV spec turbo diesel engines.

Diesel engines pump out air cleaner than what goes in, has higher miles per gallon than petrol hybrids, is cheaper and also doesn't compromise the car type -- would love a Audi A8 Tdi or the BMW 550d anytime ! saves the environment, cleaner air, saves $$.

We can look at NG vehicles. The world is full of NG stocks. Malaysia alone has enough NG to last 20yrs the the current number of vehicles they have.

I would want diesel too ...

But won't diesel, like all petroleum based product run out some day too? Maybe the next wave of price run will be diesel. [sweatdrop]

Lately, ST ran an article on diesel passenger car, and the one thing that sticks out is the particle per million, very high. But very vague also. Anyone knows what's this "particle" thingy and what will it do to our surrounding?

http://www.nett.ca/faq_diesel.html

Diesel particulate matter (DPM), as defined by the EPA regulations and sampling procedures, is a complex aggregate of solid and liquid material. Its origin is carbonaceous particles generated in the engine cylinder during combustion. The primary carbon particles form larger agglomerates and combine with several other, both organic and inorganic, components of diesel exhaust. Generally, DPM is divided into three basic fractions (Figure 1):

* Solids - dry carbon particles, commonly known as soot,

* SOF - heavy hydrocarbons adsorbed and condensed on the carbon particles, called Soluble Organic Fraction,

* SO4 - sulfate fraction, hydrated sulfuric acid.

The actual composition of DPM will depend on the particular engine and its load and speed conditions. "Wet" particulates can contain up to 60% of the hydrocarbon fraction (SOF), while "dry" particulates are comprised mostly of dry carbon. The amount of sulfates is directly related to the sulfur contents of the diesel fuel.

Diesel Particulate Matter

Diesel particulates are very fine. The primary (nuclei) carbon particles have a diameter of 0.01 - 0.08 micron, while the agglomerated particles diameter is in the 0.08 to 1 micron range. As such, diesel particulate matter is almost totally respirable and has a significant health impact on humans. It has been classified by several government agencies as either "human carcinogen" or "probable human carcinogen". It is also known to increase the risk of heart and respiratory diseases.

Thanks. So becoz of the particles been carcinogenic, diesel engine is still more pollutive and harmful to humans, even if emission can be less pollutive?

Bump for this thread again. For 2006, the Honda Civic IMA & Toyota Prius are gonna be introduced. I believe alot of pple wld b interested in cars that have possible. 900-1000km/l FC abilities...

Its not just abt saving $$, its also to educate others about hybrid car technology etc etc...

Yes the future are hybrids. It is predicted that in >10 yrs a large % of cars will be hybrid.

Heres a list of future concept hybrid cars.

1. Subaru B5 Turbo Parallel Hybrid(assumed Impreza replacement and 260bhp wif 17km/l FC!!).

2. Honda FCX saloon hybrid.

3. Merc saloon hybrid.

4. Toyota Estima hybrid.

5. Mit Evo Hybrid.

6. Subaru R series hybrid.

Im lookin at the Honda FCX coz its dam cook lookin.

Even Nissan has no choice but to rollout Hybrid car because State of California is going green. This is a lucrative market for them.

Regards,

The current scheme is still not attractive enough to make people switch to Hybrid. I wonder who drives a Hybrid here? Do you?

Regards,

↡ Advertisement