Gear shifter broke...this time worse

Coke21

(edited)

Did tried organising it but somehow not too well received. It actually quite simple, just look behind the engine block, between the bulkhead, there are connecting rods coming out from the bulkhead, just oil those joins, Best using graphite grease. As for underneath the gear shift itself, just lift the skirt of the gear shift, and you will see the joins, further unclipping of the inside will expose the connecting rods inside of going under the car.

Don't really need a shop to do that, all you need is a jack. But do use the MT line during reservist to do any major works.

Edited by Fortress

Neutral Newbie

Its just one of those things that happened. I must admit that it was due to a lack of proper maintainence and on top of that hard shifting on my part...:) Everything breaksdown eventually so that is no exception. The Toledo was a very reliable car and I do not regret buying it inthe first place. Only regret is to having to let it go...:(

Would I buy a Seat again given the choice? YES. In the meantime, I'll enjoy my C4...:)

Neutral Newbie
Its not the first time that the gear shifer broke. It has failed on me twice already. Different linkage bar I understand... Usually, when the linkage bar breaks, I cannot engage 1st, 2nd, 5th and reverse gear. Can only engagge 3rd and 4th, so not so bad. Can still get to a safe place before I call the tow truck.

On Friday, the unthinkable happened. The gear shifter broke (again) but this time, I could not engage any gear at all. I was in free gear. This happened on the ECP heading towards Changi Airport just after the Benjamin Shears bridge, before Fort road. Was stuck in the 2nd lane. Paiseh man...

did anyon'e gear shifter break that many times??!!

SO IT WAS U!!! NAH BEI... [laugh]

Just experienced this on Friday after arriving home from the airport. And was told by my wife that the car stopped at CTE. Pick her and my toddler up with the help of my neigbour and gotten the toll truck to toll the car.

It was a S$25 fix, including 2 taxi ride to pick the parts. It is the bushing(consists of a rubber piece, a bolt and a nut, presently using stainless steel ones) that has given way. It can be access from the front or just under the shifter. In my case was at the front.

Wonder how much did you paid for it.

Edited by Fortress

Neutral Newbie

Oops, sorry to hear it happened to you.

If I rememebr correctly, it was ard 100 plus in all. Including a $60 towing fee to the workshop. The repalcement part is not expensive, its the total inconvenience of the situation that cost a whole lot more... Can't change gear = car cannot move... "(

Neutral Newbie

Maybe u can take some pictures and do an instruction booklet of sorts to help future dirvers fix their broken linkage bars. I'm sure it'll help heaps.

Will do that.

The front which is easy, looking into the engine, however, the one under the gear shifter needs to take out the shifter or crawl under the car.

Neutral Newbie

Hi all

May I know what's the symptoms of this gear shifter broke? Mine manual octy now on the roadside cos when the clutch stuck on the floor board [sweatdrop] .......when I use hand to lift the clutch up, it goes straight to non-engaged position, like no spring like that ie there are 2 positions of the clutch only, no inbetween or cannot half-clutch. And 2 pieces of plastic (1 white 1 black fell off, I will take a photo later).

Can anyone advice? Thanks. (Car still at the roadside and Servo not open today [smallcry] )

Neutral Newbie

Here's the 2 pieces of plastic that fell onto the floorboard when I "pop-up" the clutch using my hand:

post-22-1160894460_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kinetics

Neutral Newbie

Oh dear,

Sorry to heard that. My case was different, it was more the gear shifter rather than the clutch. Hope you got it sorted out.

Neutral Newbie

I drive a VW Caddy and i think i experienced this same as you. Few days ago, I found myself having difficulty engaging 1st gear. I had to try at least twice to get it in or slip into 2nd then straight up. Then there's also this metallic "clicking" sound when i push the shifter towards the left when in free gear. As i travel at around 70km/h or so, i could hear something vibrating from the gearbox area, sounded like something was loose. So i sent the car to my regular workshop to see what's going on.

Turns out the gear linkages and bushes were done, which kinda explains why the gear selector was so loose in free gear and when engaged too. There was nothing wrong with the gearbox itself as i was told, and quite true... after half a day it was fixed. Gear stick feels snug and selecting gear was effortless. Btw, the car is about 6 years old its the first time that it happened :)

Its not the first time that the gear shifer broke. It has failed on me twice already. Different linkage bar I understand... Usually, when the linkage bar breaks, I cannot engage 1st, 2nd, 5th and reverse gear. Can only engagge 3rd and 4th, so not so bad. Can still get to a safe place before I call the tow truck.

On Friday, the unthinkable happened. The gear shifter broke (again) but this time, I could not engage any gear at all. I was in free gear. This happened on the ECP heading towards Changi Airport just after the Benjamin Shears bridge, before Fort road. Was stuck in the 2nd lane. Paiseh man...

did anyon'e gear shifter break that many times??!!

If it happens to me a 2nd time, I wud have it customised in stainless steel by the

machine shop. Them you wud not have anymore problems.

I have experienced air con compressor bracket broke, so customised a stainless steel

bracket and viola, no more recurring problem

↡ Advertisement