Do you find light weight rims makes your ride less comfortable?

Qooo

Neutral Newbie

I had the experience of driving with 14" stock steel rims, 15" light weight rims, and then 15" non-lightweight rims. I must say the 15" non-lightweight ones gives more stability when going over humps and felt more comfortable when the car is going over uneven roads.

Below are some of my observations:

14" stock rims = proves to be the most stable and best comfort for driving, but cornering not good.

15" light weight taiwan rims = quality not so good. least stable. going over humps was horrible.

15" normal weight SSW rims (arn 6 kg)= good quality rims and very stable. able to take humps and bumps better.

My question is, does light weight branded rims like OZ or Gramlights offer the same if not better comfort than normal ones? Thinking of changing to 2nd hand branded oz or gramlights to shave off some of my FC. I'm more for comfort than performance.

Comments please?

↡ Advertisement

I'm running a set of A-Tech Final Speed Semi-Forged 17" rims. They're pretty light. Whenever I go over humps, I just slow down and go over them gently. For me, it's the harder suspension that is causing discomfort whenever I go too quickly over a hump.

i'm using the SSP rims which is lighter than normal rims, that's wat i felt n some mechs when i do the rotation. the diff i felt between my old rims n this ones is, the pickup is a bit better, FC is much better n that's all. stability is still the same....thumbsup.gif

So far what I observed.

Light rims or not does not affect your drive stability. It's most of the time your car's suspension system at work.

So, want a more comfortable ride, dun over pump the tires, mine's 33psi in front, 32 psi behind. Comfort level better than before, but I'm still monitoring now.

Wanted to change rims plus tires , but then budgeting constraints. Can wait a while longer. [sweatdrop]

This is a v.interesting topic. Juz wondering when u tried both light weight & normal weight 15 inch rims tat time? Did u change ur tyre profile oso? If so, it could not b the rims but the tyres tat causing the change. E.g, a tyre profile of 60 vs 50 could make a difference in terms of comfort level.

Neutral Newbie

When I changed my 15" light weight taiwan rims (coz they went benkok within a month) to SSW 15" rims, the same tyres were used. Then felt that my ride became more steady and firm. Same driving patterns.

That's why scared to try light weight ones.... a bit phobia. [knife]

i think its the light rim but the tyres' pressure... i on a 16" magline... the initial pressure i tried is 33 front 32... then i tried 34 front 33 rear... and now on 36 front and 35 rear... the latest setting make the ride very uncomfortable... bouncy and unstable feeling... the best i got is 34 and 33... guess i jus have to find the jus nice pressure for diff wheels... all the best

I'm using 15" gramlights rims with 195/55 tire. ride comfort abt the same compared to my stock 175/65R14 steel rims. but can feel it is more stable.

↡ Advertisement