Ssangyong Actyon

Xcalibur

Void so can mount undercarriage mounted CNG cylinder.

Yup and they have a price for a CNG Actyon already. It's $63,888 (4 non guaranteed bid).

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
i'm also considering.. now is waitin for loan approval for the buyer buyin my car.. then will go test drive... think onli aft test drive then i can decide... still thinkin abt the 1.9 ton weight (meanin high fc) n the high cc (meanin high road tax)...

u driving a sylphy now? wa..so fast selling liao ah?

Actyon Sports was launch yesterday. AD at Motorway Building, 1094 Lower Delta Road.

Would like to thank Motorway for the kind hospitality shown to ClubMusso.

My take on the Actyon Sports (in respect to Musso Sports):

Pros:

- Very responsive and quiet engine. Overtaking is effortless.

- Class leading 6 speed Automatic gearbox will probably further enhance fuel efficiency as well as smoothness in gear change.

- 2L inline 4 engine means less engine oil needed, thus lowering servicing cost. Fuel efficiency is decent (approx. 12km/L) for a modern commonrail diesel.

- Easier entry for the rear passengers due to the rear wheel well being shifted backwards, creating more lateral space for rear passengers.

- Better interior plastics & more sporty design.

- Front suspension is no longer torsion bar, thus less rigid. Lifting is also easier.

- Wheel lugs are now down to 5 lugs from 6 so easier to source for rims here.

Cons:

- Ride quality is on par but humps are best left to the Musso Sports.

- Road noise intrusion is more evident.

- Rear is not as comfortable or spacious (from rear passengers' feedback).

- Though kerb weight has not changed much, the ride quality and built seems not as "solid" and weighted.

Overall:

I very much welcome the engine & gearbox upgrade. Apart from these 2 major upgrades, IMHO, the rest are at best on par with the Musso Sports. So it ultimately boils down to whether or not the $$$ spent on this new toy is justifiable for the responsive & powerful ride, better fuel efficiency, probable cheaper regular maintenance cost and lower road tax. The 5 speed Manual goes for as low as $67,888 while the 6 speed Auto is $7K more. Both prices are 4x2 base model without guaranteed COE (4 bids) or 'D' Pillar. Hardtop or half-top sets you back another $2800 & 4x4 probably another $4K+. For me, the rigid price is left wanting & not attractive to me at all. Afterall, it'll still be a 'G' plate commercial vehicle without any PARF rebate. Since my ride is "fully paid", getting a fresh loan to finance this isn't really a good idea. But it'll be attractive for someone looking for a luxury twin-cab SUT.

Edited by Rustycar

Neutral Newbie

Any actyon user can comment on its fuel economy? Especially Actyon with CNG onversion, what will be the fuel economy improvement? I am interested to buy an actyon but is aphrehensive of its high fuel economy and road tax (2.3 litre car of 1.95 tonnes!) The selling price of ACtyon is artractive at about $68K with a Mercedes Benz engine, good quality accessories, sunroof, cruise control and the such... Considering this upfront cost of $68K which is a good 20K difference from its japanese counterpart like Honda CRV (selling at about $89K at the moment), it is indeed an attractive option though the OMV of the Actyon is $14k compared to about $24K OMV for the Honda CRV.

Can any Actyon users comment on the after-sale service too? What is the typical servicing cost for this car?

Any actyon user can comment on its fuel economy? Especially Actyon with CNG onversion, what will be the fuel economy improvement? I am interested to buy an actyon but is aphrehensive of its high fuel economy and road tax (2.3 litre car of 1.95 tonnes!) The selling price of ACtyon is artractive at about $68K with a Mercedes Benz engine, good quality accessories, sunroof, cruise control and the such... Considering this upfront cost of $68K which is a good 20K difference from its japanese counterpart like Honda CRV (selling at about $89K at the moment), it is indeed an attractive option though the OMV of the Actyon is $14k compared to about $24K OMV for the Honda CRV.

Can any Actyon users comment on the after-sale service too? What is the typical servicing cost for this car?

1. I was once looking at this car too but this car is quite weak in performance despite the heart is an old Mercz engine when you compare with other 2WD SUVs. I'm sure it is one of the slowest 2.3L SUV you can find. So with a top speed of 160km/h, even a small 1.5L sub-SUV like Terios also runs faster at 170km/h.

2. If you want road presence in city roads then get yourself CNG. 1.9 ton and a 2.3L engine, high road tax and fuel consumption will be the constant. So this probably explains so much about the dismay sales volume in SG despite of its price.

Regards,

i saw ads selling the CNG version for 65k... even with CNG, the cost also not very low... this kinda weight make the car drinks and slurps... [sweatdrop]

Neutral Newbie

True, in terms of 0-1ookm/h sprint, Actyon takes 13.6secs which is slowest in the 2.3 litre range car. But, its 13.6secs is quite acceptable consdiering driving in urban areas. The top speed does not matter much as one will not drive car to its top speed. You will never have the chance to drive a car beyond 150km/h let alone the car's top sppeed. Malaysian highway speed limit is only 110km/h and sometimes you rev up till 130 to 140km/h but never greater than 150km/hr. So the top speed of the car is never a concern unless you are a car race driver.

Neutral Newbie

Singaporeans tend to be very boring when it comnes to selecting car design, always choosing the usual and standard designs of Toyota, Nissan or Honda makes. What is so nice or exciting of the new overpriced corolla altis in its design? It has only small deviations/changes to the previous design. Singapore should add more life and explore more exciting and varied car designs; make it happen on singapore roads.

Bro,

I think your argument is flawed.

A glacial acceleration time of 13.6secs means that the car is underpowered. It means you are gonna strain the car and yourself to keep up with traffic. It means insufficient power for safe overtaking on trunk roads or merging into fast flowing highway traffic. It means higher fuel bills since the car has gotta work harder, unless you are content to drive really slowly and end up as a mobile chicane for fellow road users. Ultimately, it means less driving pleasure, too.

Same goes for top speed. Sure we are not gonna whack max speed every time we take the car out on the road, but you are myopic to say that anything lesser than a race car driver is concerned about top speed. Keeping to 120kmh would be far more strenuous compared to another vehicle with a higher top speed.

The Actyon looks and feels it is an underdeveloped car. 1.9MT pushed along by an old Merc hand-me-down engine with 150 or so horses is no joke. A low selling price is needed to convince punters to go for it.

Just my point of view. Cheers.

To each its own. A highly commercial product like the Corolla continue to pull in Asian buyer and its not a coincidence. Toyota has developed the car to such a high degree of refinement, usability and reliability, and thats what the market wants. To deviate too much is risking alienation from its faithful hordes of trad buyers.

People who want to stand out can of course explore less mainstream cars. Whether or not these "outsider" cars are better cars than the usual Honda, Nissan or Toyota is of course very much debatable. Like if you pick an Actyon over an Altis, sure you will stand out from the crowd, but only you know you are silently suffering from high FC, lacklustre performance, poor AD support, lurchy handling, small boot space etc...

FYI, im no japmobile supporter. Just sharing my point of view.

Edited by Toeknee_33

Neutral Newbie

Hi, for the sake of vindicating Actyon power and torque, I have extracted some technical facts from websites of SSngyong and Honda. Comparing the specifications of Sangyong Actyon and Honda CRV, the power and torque data are as follows:

For a 2 litre Honda CRV, the Maximum power is 110kW@6200rpm and the Maximum torque is 190Nm@/4200rpm.

For a 2.4 litre Honda CRV, the Maximum power is 125kW@5800rpm and the Maximum torque is 218Nm@4200rpm.

For 2.3 litre SSangyong Actyon, the Maximum power is 110 kW@5500rpm and the Maximum torque is 214Nm @3500-4600rpm.

Comparing these data, we can see that though 2 litre Honda CRV has a maximum power of 110kW which matches Actyon, this only happens when it is 6200rpm. This implies that the CRV driver has to floor the accelerator and the car has to work harder at 6200rpm in order to achieve 110kW of power. The Actyon gives 110kW of power at a much reduced rpm of 5500. In terms of torque, the Actyon is much superior at 214Nm (against CRV's of 190Nm). You may say that it is an unfair comparison between a 2 litre Honda CRV against 2.3 litre Actyon.

Let's compare then the Honda CRV 2.4 litre (there is no 2.3 litre) and 2.3 litre Actyon. CRV 2.4 litre is slightly more powerful at 125kW than Actyon's of 110kW. But one has to bear in mind that it is a 2.4 litre against a 2.3litre and that the Honda needs to rev up to 5800rpm (in order to have this power magnitude) compared to a more lesiure 5500rpm for Actyon.

Comparing vehicular weight, CRV is about 1.6ton and Actyon 1.9tons. Weight is a 'double-edge sword', it would mean higher fuel consumption, it would also mean higher stability when the car is travelling at high speed which translates to more comfortable driving. If fuel cost is an issue, then CNG is a way to go.

Thanks for your lengthy reply. I can see you have done some research. You did not quite respond to my inputs about how Actyon's slow acceleration and low top speed is a reflection of how underpowered the vehicle is, so I suppose you kinda agree with my thoughts? [:)] What are the acceleration and top speed figures for the Honda CRV?

We cant examine power and torque figures so simplistically and academically. You also need to look at the "shape" of the power/torque curves on a chart to determine the actual driveability of the engine. Better still, go drive the cars!

There are also 2 factors to consider other than power and torque, which is weight of vehicle (1.6MT vs 1.9MT), and gear ratios (5sp vs 4sp) to determine the performance of a vehicle. You must have forgotten to factor these. If you shoehorn the Actyon drivetrain into a Getz for eg, it will fly! But in the Actyon it will have a tough job. In any case, your assertation was that acceleration times arent important on S'pore roads, cos we dont drive flat out to redline anyway. Why do we need to compare max power now?

I would like to correct you that weight does not equate to stability. Its the aerodynamics and suspension that keeps the car on the road. See how a 600kg F1 car can stick to the road, or how a 500MT A380 can fly, and you would know what I mean.

Do you drive an Actyon, btw? Cheers!

Neutral Newbie

The top speed of the car does not necessarily reflect on how the vehicle is underpowered. It takes inot other consideration such as the height of the car. With a taller car, the top speed will not be high as the centre of gravity is higher for taller cars. Can you think of a tall car with high top speed? The 'slow' acceleration of 13.6sec from 0 to 100km/h also does not clearly/directly reflect how the car perform in its driveability domain as you have correctly pointed out the shape of the power/torque curves.

I did not say that accelerating power is not important. It is one of the considerations. In fact, Buying a car should be a whole balance of car performance, cost and personal /family needs.

Weight of the car do offer stability. The Actyon is a tall car (which suits a tall person like myself) and it may be because of this reason, the car designer built it a heavy car so that is more stable. The F1 car is stable because of its much lower profile and thicker tyres though it weighs much lesser.

I am getting my Actyon next week or so.

Top speed DOES reflect on the power of the vehicle. Barn door aerodynamics hampers top speed, yes, but that can be overcome by adequate power mah. Some bro already told you that the Rush 1.5 does 170kmh. A Sportage 2.0 does 175kmh. Powerful top end SUVs like Cayennes/Range Rovers/Merc MLs/X5s does 240kmh easy. And what has CG gotta do with top speed?? dizzy.gif

I was comparing driveability between CRV and Actyon engines since both are doing 110kW on paper. BUT a 13.6sec vehicle will probably NOT drive as well as another that can do the century sprint in, say 11.5secs. I dont agree that weight adds stability. And, for sure Ssangyong did not deliberately design the car to be heavy to make it stable lah hur.gif. They cant make it lighter. Audi A8 and Jag XJ are made of aluminium to save 200kg for improving performance and handling, amongst other benefits. Are they less stable than other cars? Some cars use lighter ferro metals in their suspension to save a few kg here and there. The new Mazda6 is larger, yet 20kg lighter than the old one. Saving weight is every car manufacturer's aim but some may not achieve it due to lack of engineering expertise or resources. Do you think the 1.9MT Actyon is more stable than a equivalent, but lighter SUV like a CRV?? You can fit the thickest tyre (or better still, fit the F1 tyres) onto the Actyon and it wont make it more stable...please.

You are correct to say that car purchase decision is a balance of many factors, and as long as you are happy with your choice, its fine. You will be congratulated on your choice. No need to defend it, using arguments and logic that do not hold much water.

No offence! Cheers!!

↡ Advertisement