Sports rims and tyres for Honda Jazz

Zombie

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

I am a newbie here... and newbie to car stuff also.

My honda jazz 1.4 will be coming in a few days time. I want to change the default rims and tyres to better ones and thus need some advice.

Default is 175/65R14, I was thinking to changing to 15" will do. Budget is about 1K+

I read the forum here and is interested in the Falken Azenis ST115 and OZ F1 Cup. Experts please advice if this is okay, how much it cost, where is the best shop to have it change. Also, I can't seem to find from the website the ST115 has 15", is it true? Or are the specs abroad any different.

If I change to 15", the specs should be 185/55R15 rite? Is there such a specs or must I change to some other specs?

Your advice is much appreciated.

↡ Advertisement

Zom, dunno whether if it is too late for you to asked from sales to give you a set.

4 months ago, my wife got a toyota ist from PI, and we have asked for number things including rims. 3 days before we can take delivery of the car, we were given specific choice of rims from PI. Eventually we paid another $60.00 buck for a different set and it was worth it.

Neutral Newbie

Mine from Kah Motor, already gotten the 2-tone leather seats from them. Dun want their sports rims, 1.3K and looks ugly and lousy. I believe I can get something good if I spend 1.3K outside. So need all the experts advice. My combination okay? Also like the OZ Super Leggera.... any idea roughly how much?

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

Welcome to MCF...

Do join us for our weekly meetup and we have 1 coming up this Friday....

There are more details at the Meetup Folder.....thumbsup.gif

OZ Super Leggera is a good choice as it is very light.....thumbsup.gif

Hi there Zombie,

Welcome to MCF. I was in similar situation as you are in last Nov/Dec when i was looking for a new car and rims/tyres upgrade. I found very useful info by asking, like you have done here, and also by checking out the past threads under "Rubber & Rims"........ i recall there are some tyre/rim shops mentioned in there........... i think it was mentioned that good shops can be found in Kaki Bukit, Toa Payoh......

Can any bros help in this????

Cheers

Neutral Newbie

Hi all..........check out this site if you have upgraded your wheels or planning to.

http://www.c5-corvette.com/tirecalc.htm

It will show you the closest rolling diameter to your original wheel and also compute the %age error for the speedo and odometer [thumbsup][thumbsup] ..................many people after changing to BIG rims see a drop in mileage and blame it on the HEAVY rims......i think it could be largely due to the different rolling diameter of the new rim.

Here's my humble view:

If each rim is heavier by 5kg (over the original), 4 rims equals additional 20kg only...............that is the weight of a small kid!! [scholar]

You think you fetch a small kid in your car, the consumption will drop significantly?? Or people who install ICE in their ride(3 amps, 2 subs, VCD etc etc).....any significant drop in mileage??

Anyway, hope this site is useful to everyone!!!

ST115 has great grip but ride comfort not fantastic. Find that the OZ F1 Cup design a tiny bit dated, IMHO. Superleggras r light but getting very common.

Maybe u can tell us your driving style, priorities (comfort,dry grip,wet grip,cheap,branded,low noise,light or normal weight rims, Japan-made or replicas, etc, etc - but pls dun say everything coz no such tyre tho manufacturers always claim so) so that the bros here can give better advice. [;)]

Neutral Newbie

I am looking for a balance betweem performance and noise. Wet grip must be good, as I dun want to skid and lose control. Light or normal rims I personally have no preference, as long as I like the design (eg. The OZ F1 Cup and Super Leggras )

Any recommendation for a good place to get the rims and tyres? Lastly, what size do I up to? 185-R15-55?

thanks so much for the comments so far....

I'm running on Yokohama AVS ES100. Find it's a nicely balanced package between comfort & grip. If wet grip is important, avoid the Yokohama Apsec DB. Heard lots of horror stories abt it's clumsy wet performance. ST115 which is really good in the wet but ride is a bit on the hard side. Avoid the Falken Ziex 326 coz it gets really noisy after a while. Bridgestone GIIIs are so-so, nothing to shout about in any particular area. Goodyear NCT 5 is a comfort tyre but wet grip sucks. Lots of ppl swear by SO3s but kinda ex. Kumho 712 has it's fair share of followers due to the attractive price but heard it's a bit noisy and wet grip is average (saaber, u want to correct me here?)

185/55/15 is the correct +1 upgrade for the Jazz. The overall deviation is only +0.24% which is negligible. Rim design is subjective so I'll leave it to one's personal judgement on what is chio or fugly. Price-wise, Leong Seng at Paya Ubi is competitive and has a wide selection but dun expect professional advice or fantastic workmanship there. U can give Yap Bros a few doors away a try too - heard they are more professional. Stamford is quite good too but a bit ex.

Neutral Newbie

Many thanks to Soya!

I was reading the rest of the threads and realized that many pple have specs of tyre (195/50/R15) so I was wondering if the tyres ST115 or AVS ES100 or the rims OZ F1 Cup or Super Leggras has specs of 185/55/R15. Anyone knows?

If not, what specs should I go for if I still want the above tyres and rims of 15"???

Wow... this forum is really enlightening for newbies like me.... many thanks once again.

Here's my humble view:

If each rim is heavier by 5kg (over the original), 4 rims equals additional 20kg only...............that is the weight of a small kid!! [scholar]

You think you fetch a small kid in your car, the consumption will drop significantly?? Or people who install ICE in their ride(3 amps, 2 subs, VCD etc etc).....any significant drop in mileage??

It's not like an additional 20kg to wheels is the same as 20kg added elsewhere - the important bit is that it increases unsprung weight. If you have a FWD or RWD car, that means 10kg increase for the driven wheels, which in turn contributes to the rotational inertia (the difficulty in getting the wheels to start or stop turning). If it's a AWD, then lagi worse - double the increase in rotational inertia... That is the cause of the increase in consumption.

Edited by Seansene

195/50/15 is popular +1 coz a common OEM size is probably 185/60/14. Dunno if these tyres come in 185/55/15, u have to check wif the shops. As for rims, it doesn't follow the tyre ratio. Your PCD, offset & width is more important. Unfortunately, i'm not familiar wif Honda rim specs but i'm sure someone here will jump in soon to shed some light. Good luck! [;)]

Hi Zombie !

Welcome to MCF ! Do enjoy your stay here and come along for our meetups ! More info in our MEETUPS folder. nod.gif

Congrats on getting your new ride ! A good choice the Jazz. thumbsup.gif

Going for a +1 wheel upgrade is a good idea, as for type of rim design, it is subjective, so it is best you visit some of the shops our fellow members have suggested and take a look around. Most of the shops are in the Paya Ubi area. wink.gif

As for the bran/type of tyre to get, it depends on what you are looking for... like another member mentioned...do prioritise what you want out of your ride:

- comfort

- firm ride

- excellent grip in the dry

- excellent grip in the wet

- good grip in both dry/wet

- noise level of tyre

- cheapest tyres, value for money tyres, or top of the range tyres

Some brands to check out are Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Yokohama, Falken and Kumho. nod.gif

Cheers tongue.gif

Edited by Assassin
↡ Advertisement