Which insurance firm for Volvos?

Fastforward

Hi Guys

Which Insurance company are you using to insure your Volvo. I need a new quote on my car soonest as insurance and road tax expirying next month.

Not happy with my current one which is Newstate as premiums have gone compared to last year. Reason being, many claims from SM lately.

Got a cheaper quote from tenet insurance by almost $500 with zero excess but the draw back is that you must send only to their workshop such as

1. Delgro engineering

2. Comfort Automotive

3. Star Autocentre

4. Kan Fock Sing

5. Ah Lim Motor company ( who's Ah Lim ? )

6. Sng Ah Tee

7. Su brothers

Except fro no 1-3, I have never heard about the rest of the workshop and I am almost not prepared to send my car in to someone who have absolutely no knowledge of fixing the Swedish Babe.

Any reccomendations or ideas?

Edited by Turbobrick
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Mine is still insured under Newstate, expiring this June. Lemme know if U get a better offer from another insurance firm as I may want to switch as well.

Tried Hartford?

Mine is still insured under Newstate, expiring this June. Lemme know if U get a better offer from another insurance firm as I may want to switch as well.

Tried Hartford?

Yes, That's the one I was talking about. It is known as tenet insurance company.

www.thehartford.com.sg

Cheap, but you need to send to those workshop stipulated by them which I mentioned. would you send there? if not, they have a slightly higher premium where you can send anywhere you want, and that is about 17% higher than the other one but with the slightly higher premium where you can send anywhere, the excess is $1500 ( nil, if you choose the cheaper option but limited to their approved workshop )

Newstate premium higher but excess lower at $500

Neutral Newbie

Perhaps can check with Hartford whether can we send back to SM as well? I have no qualms sending to the big 3 workshops as long original parts are used. [:)]

Perhaps can check with Hartford whether can we send back to SM as well? I have no qualms sending to the big 3 workshops as long original parts are used. [:)]

Yes, you can send back to SM, but as I mentioned earlier, must pay about 17% more and excess is $1500

I don't know anything about those 3 big workshop and whether they use original parts, problem is, if anything goes wrong with say ECU etc, do they have the software or expertise to fix the electronic parts. I am not so worried about the hardware part.

Your's is coming up soon in June which means you will receive renewal notice next month. I bet you will see an increase over you last year premium. Mine was about $250 more than last year.

Zero excess should be one time per year only. Can check with Asisa insurance.

Hi Mondeo

Thanks for the info, Checked with Asia Insurance but very high, even higher than Newstate. Thanks anyway.

Neutral Newbie

I am currently with Mitsui but I know for a fact that China Insurance is the cheapest but bo bian still stuck with Mitsui. Maybe you can give them a call to quote for your brick.

CK

I am currently with Mitsui but I know for a fact that China Insurance is the cheapest but bo bian still stuck with Mitsui. Maybe you can give them a call to quote for your brick.

CK

OK, I'll try China Insurance

[reply]I am currently with Mitsui but I know for a fact that China Insurance is the cheapest but bo bian still stuck with Mitsui. Maybe you can give them a call to quote for your brick.

CK

Hi CK

China Insurance is about same price as Tenet ( just slightly higer ) but the excess is very High at $1900, so if you actually make a claim , you are footing out over $3000 if you add your premium and the excess, so if claim is about $6000, you are actually paying half yourself plus you lose NCD and get a loading the next time round.

Only good for very high claim like $20k and above, so tenet is much better, and cheaper, plus no excess. Only setback is you need to send to Delgro engineering ( owned by SBS I think - repair Volvo bus can lah, Volco cars??? ) or their other approved workshop.

Neutral Newbie

Hi FF,

I checked with them two months ago with my friend and was quoted zero excess with quality workshop. Of course I factored in the 50% NCD and 5% zero demerit points.

Did you make a claim recently which explains the high excess?

happy hunting for the best policy and let us know how to stretch the last dollar...

CK

No choice, low excess... then high premium & vice versa..... u must know from your experience... from what i know.. for vehicle insurance.... NTUC Income is the cheapest.... but alot of problems from claiming.... so u judge. Better get your insurance fast... they are raising the price liao....

How many members do we have in MCF? Cos if we have a good number... i can check whether we could get a special group vehicle insurance package which is lower than the standard market.... maybe. I can't say that sure can... but can try.... can supply me with the info.... like types of cars, age group, years of experience kind of stuffs. [:)]

Hi FF,

I checked with them two months ago with my friend and was quoted zero excess with quality workshop. Of course I factored in the 50% NCD and 5% zero demerit points.

Did you make a claim recently which explains the high excess?

happy hunting for the best policy and let us know how to stretch the last dollar...

CK

No, I didn't make any claim, when they quoted me, I asked about the excess and that's what I was told. If you send to their approved workshop, then excess is only $900 and premium is 15% cheaper.

I think the Tenet Insurance is still the cheapest. You can go to www.thehartford.com.sg and do online quote.

Neutral Newbie

Lemme get my renewal notice from Newstate and see how much is the premium over last year's. They tend to overdeclare the market value of the car so I try to reduce the premium by delcaring a lower value for the car. [;)]

I had always have this impression that presently car quotes for insurance are based on a points system, not by the market value of the car. Can anyone confirm? [crazy]

Edited by Magfocus

Lemme get my renewal notice from Newstate and see how much is the premium over last year's. They tend to overdeclare the market value of the car so I try to reduce the premium by delcaring a lower value for the car. [;)]

That's what happened last year to me and I revalued it but this year value was fair as I checked with the resale market and it was the same price as Newstate. Under declaring the car value, obviously will attract a a lower premium but it is with some risk should ( touch wood ) something happen.

↡ Advertisement