Thai make honda City Vtec or Czech make octavia?

King

I am struck between this two choice

One is thai make SOHV 16V Vtec manual.

Next is Czech make SOHV 8V Manual.

Which one will u chose and why?

Please comments, thks

King

↡ Advertisement

Bro,

We could have made a trip to Kah Motors when we met at CA last Sat. My sis-in-law went through the same stage as you when she was shopping for her car. The City and Octavia are priced very close to each other.

However the decision is clear for her once I told her what to look out for in determining the build quality of the car:

- observe for any weld marks on the doors

- any putty applied over the weld marks on the body

- quality of weld and fit

- materials used in the car's interior: dashboard, plastics, door panels

The City did not appeal to her in either of the criteria. It feels very cheap. The doors, typical of Honda, are made of at least 2 seperate components and welded at different spots. For the Octavia, the door is moulded from a single metal piece, which confers better strength.

Last but not least, the design of the City is [thumbsdown] . The choice was clear: the Octavia.

The number of valves in a engine design is not the main deciding factor in determing the engine performance. The 8V SOHC Octavia engine delivers its goods at a lower rpm, resulting in commendable pick-up. Putting the quantity of valves aside, a more important factor is how the valves are designed.

But do you consider other stuffs like resale value, cost of parts, servicing etc etc?

I would think that City might fetch a higher resale value and the parts will be cheaper due to its popularity.

If you are buying a car based on the perception that it will fetch better resale value, then go for more popular brands. But then again, I have a few friends who bought the G9 Toyota Corolla and suffered huge loss when they sold them. Typical SE talk, buy a Toyota and get a good resale value. This saying does not hold any water in today's used car market. The cost of a used car is so transparent.

For some dealers they offer you a high used car value, just to attract buyers to get a certain brand. Consumers do not know that the profit margin on the new car from that particular brand is already so high, such that the dealer still makes a handsome profit from the deal even with a high offer for the used car price.

I do come across cases where KM offers up to $9k body value for a used Honda, $5-6k body value for a used Toyota. It is very enticing for exisiting car owners, but they do not realise that there is nothing for free.

In King's case of deciding between the Honda City and the Skoda Octavia, it is very evident that Kah Motor is already making a very handsome profit out of the City. The City's OMV is around $14k. The Octavia's OMV is on average $16.2k. The City is cheaper than the Octavia by at most $1k.

The cost of parts are comparable. For example, the oil filter element of the Skoda costs $9, while that of the Honda costs probably $7-$8. Spare parts for VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda are readily available. All these brands share the same parts, less the body panels, lamps and exterior elements.

The Honda needs to be serviced at every 5000km or 10000km intervals while the Skoda requires servicing every 15000km. The cost of Honda servicing may be cheaper if not similar. In the long run, the expenditure on Skoda servicing will be less than that of the Honda.

If it is resale value you want, it should be a Toyota Wish 4yrs ago. The body value is a whopping 15k. Not anymore with the current Wish now. laugh.gif

The Oct sure lose out to resale value.

i know the honda stocklists.

the oct isusing VW spare parts, price wise is comparable to honda.

when i test drive the city, somehow i feel somethngi is missing...

i ask myself this question, can i drive this car for a long long time like 5 year?

City is very fuel efficient. 15km/L. You can save a few hundreds a mth. one year at least savce $1k. You do the calculation. Honda City is a very smooth car. Acceration is CVT, very smooth, cannot feel when its changing gear. Power with VTEC, plus huge boot. Its a entire different car compare to Octavia. Maybe can compare Ford or Renault to Octavia.

not to mention, the bigger boot space, the ride comfort and handling, the much better built quality, etc.

dunno where to service car?, lots of outside workshops service VAG cars, parts are also affordable, more often than most, original VAG parts are cheaper than Jap original parts.

if i'm not wrong service intervals are 15,000 km

Edited by Fluffy

Neutral Newbie
I am struck between this two choice

One is thai make SOHV 16V Vtec manual.

Next is Czech make SOHV 8V Manual.

Which one will u chose and why?

Please comments, thks

King

SOHC or DOHC cannot fully determine for the performance of

enginee. But for sure, Honda's idtec has a better fuel efficiency,

also due to its light weight. Some cars have SOHC configuration,

but they are generally made to give high torque.

Fuel consumption of cars, depends much on how you drive it, and

the weight of passengers.

Ask yourself, do you need a car that last you 10 years, enjoy

riding it, and be praised by passengers...Octavia (look no further).

If you want to save cost in fuel and drive lightfootedly, City's

the one.

Just before you decide, try to close the doors of both car after

you enter them, ask yourself, do you want the car to last longer than

you expect..... [;)]

↡ Advertisement