BMW 3 Series E90 @ 900+ per month???

Guitar77

Neutral Newbie

I think this is a global strategy from Lexus from day 1 with the first LS400, a real value pitch against the big luxury marques. The only difference now is that Lexus now has some snob appeal attached to its cars as well, without compromising its value proper.

↡ Advertisement

but for the IS series .. they should consider the manual option for buyers since it is supposed to be a sporty component of the Lexus lineup.

Who cares about back seat when one is seriously considering a IS or 3 series. For those family type there is always the GS/RX or the 5 series.

The IS500 is a monster of a Lexus.

I think frankly lexus has been quite successful since it was introduced years ago by toyota corp. The initial scepticism seem to have faded a lot, and lexus had indeed taken away some sales from merc and BMW. I think they would be even more successful if they were to clean-break away from the toyota brand. Although they seem to no longer make similar cars to toyota [ eg harrier vs RX300 ], someone told me they are still sharing some parts with certain toyotas. Maybe its a cost mgt startegy but they shld have an exclusive lexus production line. That I think will put them in a stronger position.

Neutral Newbie

By sharing toyota's platforms, their manufacturing costs are so low, much like building an ES300 at Camry price! - excluding the extra cost of better materials and bigger engines.

In fact, Toyota will never give up Lexus, imagine the BIG FAT margins their are making on their Lexus cars, not to mention the spillover effect on their Toyota cars! Its like being the WRC manufacturer champion every year! [thumbsup]

Actually the day Toyota annouced that the New ES300 had nothing much to do with the Camry, the New ES looked EVEN MORE similar to the Camry. [laugh]

My point is: For the same $$, you get a much better designed, more powerful engined and more reliable car ... that will run rings around the BMW of similar price. Why then not?

(edited)

actually one of my buddy did an interesting analysis on a spreadsheet when the IS250 was launched here, to the BMW325i[too free nothing to do but i saw his analysis... [thumbsup] ]. he took the IS250[think its the premium edition] and noted down its price and the list of accessories its loaded with and put into 1 column. He did the same for the 325i. Then he reconciled both columns and highlighted items in LEXUS but not in BMW [eg. front sensors, comfort access, and vice versa not in LEXUS but in BMW[eg GPS navigation with I-drive]. Impressive study he did, was like a thesis [scholar] .

Then he worked back the missing items in both cars to balance their prices and re compare. he used the price that LEXUS and BMW would charge if these items were added as options. For eg the BMW GPS/i-drive cost around $10k [sweatdrop], which is not found on the IS250. He also factor in and applied some other sort of numerical factor on some differences in the cars. for example if a car is less spacious, or has lesser torque or BHP, he adjust a prorated adjustment to the gross price.

I think the car magazines shld read his work, instead of just selling monthly issues based on their editors view and test drives.

Edited by Ahbengdriver

Neutral Newbie

Oh no ... let's not hope this will spill into PART 2 of the IS vs BMW thread ...

While I can understand where you are coming from, Bro Brandon is correct in that we are not really comparing apple with apple.

Then again, there's still an element of 'snob appeal' ... else why would pple pay over for St Regis apts vs other lesser-priced and perhaps larger apts in Orchard ??

[rolleyes]

At the end of the day, depending on needs and ability, pple buy accordingly.

(edited)

shhh...cannot say [laugh].

But what shocked me was the price of some of these optional car items in both these brands of cars...almost faint. You know the IS250 is provided with front sensors for parking right? The BMW325i dont have it, well to be more precise its not that they dont have it, u got to pay for them. actually everything in lexus, BMW or even merc have also hv just that a lot are optional items. Now.....recently I found out that to install 4 front parking sensors on a 3 series, the price is almost $1800 [sweatdrop]

Edited by Ahbengdriver

Neutral Newbie

hahah..ok.

A recent IS/3Series showdown(there have been so many)in which the IS250 won by a mile - the editor concluded, that while not only was the SI 250 cheaper the the 3 Series, it had almost no options available - as everything came standard - while the 3 series, was not only more expensive, it came quite barebone and almost everything was on a very expensive options list.

So the price divide between the 2 cars was really much much more then just the basic MSRP.

First, I find some magazines really stupid n they write just for sake of selling their magazines. if you make a car buy decision based on them, u sure kena fxxxed.

Whenever I see an article comparing Lexus IS250 to audit A4, Merc C180 and BMW320i, I will put the magazine back on the shelf bcos the writer dont know cars. The best write up I saw was probably the one u just mentioned. cant recall the magazine name. What they said is quite true. yes the IS250 include a lot of things as a package for u in the car. The BMW can provide the same stuffs, but quite a lot is optional items. This is how BMW sell their cars, for example in USA. People can book a 3 series and specify which items they want or dont want, its like customising yr own car. Still others want a bare bone car as all they interested in is driving dynamics. Also, some of the quality or performance of the things are quite diff in these 2 cars. Eg rear wheel drive in the BMW, the steering wheel, level of noise insulation.

Neutral Newbie

Magazine...WHO ADVERTISE MORE WHO CAR WILL BE GOOD LOR!

I STILL STICK to EVO for 12k-150k Car CHOICE

Dear Evo MR,

I am still saving up to buy you. After I got you I will dress you up with carbon fibre.

Well, that is very true indeed.

U have to add on the fact that each individual reviewer has different emphasis on different aspects of a car, such as comfort vs performance etc..

and some cars can have "character".. [rolleyes] Jeremy Clarkson's reviews on lexi seem to condemn them as being totally dull and characterless. a pretty entertaining read but if i had enuff $ to afford a lexus or BM, i'd probably choose the former and have spare cash in hand.. [thumbsup]

Turbocharged
My point is: For the same $$, you get a much better designed, more powerful engined and more reliable car ... that will run rings around the BMW of similar price. Why then not?

Going by that theory, I'd spend $104,000 on a DC5 R and it will run bigger rings around the IS250. I will spend an equal if not lesser amount on an Evo 9 and run big big rings around the IS250 as well.

Compare apples to apples please.

Also, some of the quality or performance of the things are quite diff in these 2 cars. Eg rear wheel drive in the BMW, the steering wheel, level of noise insulation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah Beng,

Can I know how the rear wheel drive in BMW is different from the rear wheel drive in the Lexus? Both using universal joints at the drive shaft, without LSD right?

For noise insulation, I believe the Lexus' insulation is far more quiet.

↡ Advertisement