BMW 3 Series E90 @ 900+ per month???

Guitar77

But Honda and Mitsubishi don't have the badge and snob appeal like the Lexus and BMW. So people buying into luxury marques will not consider the former 2 brands in their radar scope.

So between the Lexus, Audi, Merc, Jag and BMW (typical luxury brands), for the same $120K+, the IS250 gives the biggest bang for the buck.

The Evo9 is >$120K right?

↡ Advertisement

Going by that theory, I'd spend $104,000 on a DC5 R and it will run bigger rings around the IS250. I will spend an equal if not lesser amount on an Evo 9 and run big big rings around the IS250 as well.

OK, even if we use your argument, and if we cap it to the $120K+ price point, snob appeal and badging aside, the DC5 R and Evo9 will run big big and even bigger, much much bigger bigger rings round the BMW 320i, compared to the IS250 right?

Comparing $ for $ here.

Oh IS250 is also rear wheel drive?....oh so soli I didnt know although I test drove it [laugh]. of cos lexus is quieter, its has thicker insulation, thats their selling point.

What colour is your lexus, and where do you normally drive along. I will look out for you. If u see a silver car coming up yr rear mirror and honk like an crazy fella, thats me.....otherwise I can also be recognisable bcos I have a short spikey hair and a large tattoe on my arm [sly]

Although they seem to no longer make similar cars to toyota [ eg harrier vs RX300 ], someone told me they are still sharing some parts with certain toyotas.

If one look at the PI Camry, will resemble the look of IS250 specially the side look.

(edited)

As a car-buying Singaporean, like all of us here, I would like to get the most from a car for the money that I spend. And personally, I would also avoid PI cars, since I have owned PI Mercs before and suffer from non-AD suppport (or the lack of it).

And same as most Singaporeans, branding is important to me too ... at least when I am spending more than $100K for a car. I'd like to be seen (if I can afford it) in a Merc, Lexus or BMW.

Now the most important questions are:

(1) What is the best (powerful, reliable and handles well) car for the money.

(2) Can I live with a Japanese brand.

If my answer is yes to (2), then I think the Lexus will nearly always give one better dynamics for the money spent, at any class level.

That is, at the $170K price point, I'd get the GS300 (3L V6) for its power, ride and reliability, compared to Merc E200K (1.8L IL4), or the BMW 523i (2.5L IL6).

At the $130K price point, I think the IS250 (2.5L V6) will sway me in, vs the Merc C-180K (1.8L IL4) or the BMW 320i (2L IL4). Again, based on power, handling and reliability.

Edited by W210k

You don't know meh?

All Lexus are RWD, with the exception of the ES300 (FWD) and RX300 (AWD).

In the previous generations of GS and IS, they also sport longitudinally-mounted in-line 6-cylinder engines too (similar to BMW higher-end 6-potters). Only the recent incarnations of GS and IS have gone to V6 (a la Mercedes Benz).

THANKS! MAN!

But then PUI to PM... buy now die later...hahahaha

I wonder how many ppl actually like this idea of PM?

This is just part of advertisement and I'm sure they put T & C applies, so why "pui to PM"? They don't hold a knife or gun against people who took up the offer.

(edited)

Lexus is good but the interior cabin size very the small...

Although the new GS300 looks very huge outside but the cabin and boot is much smaller than W210K & W211...

Edited by Ncss

This is just part of advertisement and I'm sure they put T & C applies, so why "pui to PM"? They don't hold a knife or gun against people who took up the offer.

They provide Repo man job opportunity one year later !

Actually some owner also very steady.

I remember a few years back, one particular korean brand dealer offered a free first 6months drive-away. so people really drive it away and wait for it to be reposse when 6 months is up. Not sure if they ahve to pay in the end anot.

The IS250 is a great car. My only reservations (personal idiosyncracy, I suppose) is the switch Lexus made to:

- Electric power steering (prefer hydraulic power steering for a more natural feel, as in the IS200)

- V6 engine (prefer IL-6 for inherent engine stability / smoothness as in IS200)

- All-aluminium engine block (prefer cast iron as in the IS200, though heavier but for long-term metallurgical reliability/strength at much higher temperature limits and lower resonating frequency - induced engine noise)

- Multi-link suspensions at rear (prefer all-round double wishbones, as in the IS200).

Agree. If space is what you need, then the new GS and IS are somewhat a little smaller in internal cabin space compared to their Merc equivalents.

hahah..ok.

A recent IS/3Series showdown(there have been so many)in which the IS250 won by a mile - the editor concluded, that while not only was the SI 250 cheaper the the 3 Series, it had almost no options available - as everything came standard - while the 3 series, was not only more expensive, it came quite barebone and almost everything was on a very expensive options list.

So the price divide between the 2 cars was really much much more then just the basic MSRP.

Also in the May/June Wheels Asia magazine for 2006 Best Car Awards:

Best Compact Luxury Sedan went to Lexus IS250, beating the BMW 3-Series and Audi A4.

Best Luxury Sedan went to Lexus GS300, beating the BMW 5-Series and Jaguar S-Type.

Turbocharged
But Honda and Mitsubishi don't have the badge and snob appeal like the Lexus and BMW. So people buying into luxury marques will not consider the former 2 brands in their radar scope.

So between the Lexus, Audi, Merc, Jag and BMW (typical luxury brands), for the same $120K+, the IS250 gives the biggest bang for the buck.

The Evo9 is >$120K right?

I agree with your statement. IS250 gives the best bang for the buck. But I still don't agree with comparing 2.5 with 2.0.

Turbocharged

There's no contest on power because its a 2.5 versus 2.0 and a SC 2.0 for MB.

Handling... now that one is subjective.

Reliability... yeah you're right that Lexus should be more reliable

Turbocharged

BTW don't label me a Lexus basher because I almost... ALMOST bought the IS200! That is one good car to me! [cool]