New Octavia Prices (from Czech Auto)

Fluffy

Here is the official quote for the Octavia Mk II (okay, not new, since they have been sold in Europe since 2004)

okay for the model introduced 2 years ago in Europe, now is in singapore for:

1) Octavia 1.6 SR (same old 8v engine found in previous Octy) -- $74,988

The car comes in classic trim, old engine and no climatronic aircon (very similar to Octy I Tour currently sold, but $20k more!)

2) Octavia Combi ---$ 79,988

3) Octavia vRS 2.0TFSi ---- $98,988 ....only 2 units black and dynamic blue color

Note this model comes with the 6 speed manual instead of DSG. Don't know if comes with 17" instead of 18"s........

↡ Advertisement

sorry bro, don't know. I hear they will be in the showroom after national day (another mth delay) in august.

All i know is the difference between the Tour (existing 10 year old model) and the 2 year old model (called the New Octavia) is the design.

same olde engine (1.6SR 8 valves engine, that gives about 10km/l and for me, about 9km/l for an auto-- thirsty bugger)

no climatronic

i think it comes with a 6 speed auto .....that is the main highlight i guess.

but $75k ????????????

a renault megane comes with lots of toys at $61k at the moment............

not to mention the Focus Mk II (even comes with climatronic) around $62k

advice, with $75k, get the focus, the sweetest handling 1.6 and mod it till kingdom come with the $13k difference!

what are they thinking? [hur][lipsrsealed]

only FSI skoda is the vRS, it has the 2.0TFsi

NO DSG skoda offered (in europe, only offered on TDi)

Hi Fluffy,

I have seen the MPI Octavia II in Europe. In lieu of the mechanical throttle, the MPI unit comes with electronic throttle aka drive by wire.

As for the VRS, there is no DSG version available worldwide. Even the VRS sold in Europe comes with 6 speed manual. Just for info, the 6 speed manual Golf Gti sells better than the DSG versions. If you are really an enthusiast, 6 speed manual should be your call.

Anyway, I do not find the pricing of the new Octavias particularly attractive at the moment. Like I have mentioned in previous posts, all things new in Singapore command a premium. If one is really keen in getting an Octavia II, please be patient and wait till the production of the Octavia I Tour ceases production in 2008.

Probably last hurrah for Group Exklusiv before they bow out of the car distribution biz.

Some comparison

Octy II classic - $75k

Focus II Trend (similar in trim to classic but slightly higher specs) - $62k

Focus II Ghia (highest spec with sunroof, climate control, etc..) - $67k

Opel Astra 1.6 MTA - $67.7k

Renault Megane 1.6 - $61k (sedan) / $67k (HB)

Mazda3 1.6 HB - $61k

new Honda Civic 1.6 w 125bhp - $70.5k

Citroen C4 - $70k

Peugeot 307 - $69.9k

VW Golf 1.6A - $86.4k

Octy II combi - $79k

Focus II Estate - $67k

Opel Astra Wagon - $79k

Octy II vRS 2.0TFSI manual (197bhp) - $99k

Focus ST 2.5T manual (222bhp) - $96k

Golf GTI (197bhp) - $109.9k

Renault Megane Sport (225bhp) - $111.5k

Opel Astra 2.0T (200bhp) - $96.7k

Subaru WRX 2.5T (230bhp) - $82k

Euro NCAP crash test

Octy II - 4 stars

Focus II - 5 stars

Astra - 5 stars

Megane - 5 stars

Mazda3 - 4 stars

C4 - 5 stars

307 - 4 stars

Golf - 5 stars

Subaru Imprezza - 4 stars

From this you can see where their positioning of the car is.

hi koolaba,

yup, i know the DSG is not available in the vRS, reason being to keep price down. (somehow, this doesn't apply here....... more expensive than Focus ST ????? huh?)

much has i like VAG group vehicles, the current crop of models and price from Czech Auto is just [hur][hur]

besides pricing the new octys way above their car groups, they are also not as good value considering they only come in classic trim.

There are other cars with better value, better handling, more toys, more fuel efficient engine, more powerful at a cheaper price.

Neutral Newbie

they are placing themselves as the cheaper alternative to volkswagen. sorry to say this, if they were sincere at least give the sgp market the 20v engine. ok no fsi, thats fine. at least throw in the dsg. in uk and europe they are doing so well becos people are buying them as a budget vw. same platform, engine and trans. why not over here? where badge snobbery is at the highest. some people will still pay more to drive a vw and more to drive an audi. you just have to find the right pricing strategy. wonder if some disti brings in the Seat will we see a change.

Neutral Newbie
they are placing themselves as the cheaper alternative to volkswagen. sorry to say this, if they were sincere at least give the sgp market the 20v engine. ok no fsi, thats fine. at least throw in the dsg. in uk and europe they are doing so well becos people are buying them as a budget vw. same platform, engine and trans. why not over here? where badge snobbery is at the highest. some people will still pay more to drive a vw and more to drive an audi. you just have to find the right pricing strategy. wonder if some disti brings in the Seat will we see a change.

In Europe, Skoda is not just a cheaper alternative to VW, but also a cheaper alternative to other mainstream makes like Ford. Realistic pricing should see the 2004 Octavia being priced slightly below that of the current Focus. Besides, a name like "Skoda" can never command a premium in brand-conscious Singapore. CA execs must be on crack.

Neutral Newbie

CA Execs were already on crack a long time ago when they priced the Octy below 60K. So its their own undoing now that they have to price the Octy II at more realistic prices which will obviously come accross as pure sticker shocker to those accostomed to seeing the Octy priced at Corolla levels.

Skoda is a cheaper alternative to VW when you have the same trimmings and toys.

the Octy classic and the Superb classic are specced way lower than their VW siblings in singapore. Just look at the number/amount of BLANKS switches!

if you wanna price the Octy expensive, at least have the toys and fittings that cars of that price have. for $75k, you'd at least expect climate control aircon. The Octy doesn't have such toys. What you get is bare bones car at premium price!

go figure!

hi bro

Actually, I think pricing the Octy below 60k is reasonable given the still "emerging" brand image in SG. There is nothing wrong with pricing the Octy Tour at "near" Corolla levels.

However, pricing it a lot more for the Octy II, well, may "reset" whatever momentum they have built in the past months, imho. I would certainly wish they can price it as competitvely as Octy, if only a small premium, since the Octy II is not that new anyway.

just my humble 1 cent, from a fan.

bless

tashi

PS - Are you, bro, driving the Ford Focus ST? That's a nice one. :-)

Neutral Newbie

i am suspecting that the market department is not paid enough, and they wanna kill the skoda brand in SGP... [hur]

Neutral Newbie
CA Execs were already on crack a long time ago when they priced the Octy below 60K. So its their own undoing now that they have to price the Octy II at more realistic prices which will obviously come accross as pure sticker shocker to those accostomed to seeing the Octy priced at Corolla levels.

I agree with Tashi that the Tour's pricing of below S$60K is reasonable. The low OMV doesn't justify high sticker prices for such an old model.

But for the Octy II to be priced so much higher than more reputable models like the Focus is sheer madness.

↡ Advertisement