Poetry in motion

Mk1gti

Neutral Newbie

Ok here goes. Was free in the afternoon today and was invited to test drive the brand new Alfa Romeo 159 2.2JTS 6 speed manual. The SE was an old boy from my school.

External - Wa lau wei!!! The 159 is poetry in motion. Its gorgeous, well-proportioned, looks fabulous at all angles and when it moves, its absolutely stunning. Seriously, it even eclipsed a fully kitted, Seat Toledo lowered on 18s when it comes to aesthetic value. The 159 comes with 17s 225/50 tyres and double exhaust. At this point, I'm already salivating uncontrollably.

Inside - Seats are bolstered and they are comfortable. More comfortable than my Astra Turbo's. As usual the dash is driver oriented and the whole layout reminds me of a 2002 Audi A4 interior but given an Italian flair to it. It has a PUSH START and STOP button. And yes, it works. No more jokes of after awhile, the push start button won't work, such that you have to PUSH the car to start (Viper's joke). The built quality is almost up to par with their German counterparts. Remember I say its almost. Climate control is standard and the manual even comes with cruise control ala Toledo!!!! Interior space is surprisingly spacious and the boot is practical and user friendly. Think its around 430 litres. It has the hill assist feature and the other stuff that all other cars would have like rain sensor wipers, esp, etc......

Drive - Drove along West Coast Highway and Pandan Loop. Insulation is very, very good and the engine note is gorgeous but is not intrusive. The amazing thing about the exhaust sound is that as you pile up the revs, the sound differs considerably. Macam woman going thru different levels of orgasm. The higher the revs, the higher it screams and what a SCREAM. Chassis is very tight, handling good for a FWD, mid-size car but the overall ride is comfortable and not compromised. Steering feel is good but as it hits 120km/h, it feels light. The SE mentioned that the wheel will tightened up at 160km/h and above. Huh??? Why 160?? Its gonna be dangerous at 120 or 130 when you lose control and you have no feel on the steering. Pick up is fast and the revs piles up until you hit the limiter at 6800rpm. If I really have to nit-pick, I don't like the clutch biting point and the throttle response. Too light for both and the biting point is too high.

Others - OMV is S$35k for manual and $37k for selespeed. Manual price - S$115,800 and Selespeed - S$117,800. They are taking orders now and September will be the delivery date. 3 years warranty and free servicing and that includes one change of brake pads and tires!!!!!!!Wow!!!!! They bringing in the 3.2 Q4 manual and selespeed too. $160k and $167k respectively.

Others 2 - Saw the Alfa Brera 3.2V6 Q4. The pics on the web don't do it justice. My nose bled when I saw the car. PCC!!!!! To the max!!!!

Conclusion - Alfa Romeo has pull out all the stops to challenge their German rivals. Gap lines are smaller and the built's better. Engine and exhaust note, no need to say lah. Its an Alfa anyway. Would I buy one? Maybe when my Astra Turbo hits 5 years? And that's a maybe. Its reasonably priced for a 2.2 and with such a high OMV. Even the manual has cruise control!!!!! Its a friendly family car and it fills up the void of the family man who wants a manual and a great handling car too. [thumbsup]

Worth a look if you are looking for an upgrade or if you're sick of German cars that are so efficient and mechanical in their ways. Not that I'm saying that the 159 will give you problems, but that it has a little bit more character than the rest of the German marques combined..... [angel]

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

dude, u sound like a car saleman.. are u SURE you are not trying to market the car in a cheap way? How much are you getting for this? 10-20%?

Neutral Newbie

The reason why I posted here its because the ex-Seat guys hang around here and I used to drive a Seat Toledo. We use to have our own forum until it got hacked. I use to write long, long reports on my views for a car I test driven.....obviously the ex-Seat guys haven't got around reading the 159 report yet but you'll get the picture when they do. [sunny]

No. I don't drive an Alfa. I wished I did but maybe still too influenced by the majority who still thinks that we should shy away from them. Think the 156 has proven a lot of people wrong..... [thumbsup]

Currently, driving an Opel Astra Turbo..... [cool]

Neutral Newbie

ONLY 10-20%? Awww...c'mon....anyway, here's an alternative thought - if he were shooting for cheap marketing, it sure looks like it's working - check out the explosion of replies in the conti car corner.

Well done, Mk1, it's working....good choice. Not many marques can stir up that sort of (positive) emotional reaction.... [thumbsup][thumbsup][laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Er...typo ...u miss the H in trust...

[laugh]

reply:

There are bro. Trust me there are..... Sunny

Edited by Guest66

mk1, you sure you not getting any commission?? damn, but be really crowded in the showroom, you got room for this sat test drive......

how does this compare to your Alfa GT? has the built quality improved?

ya, really love the cruise control on the tody, even the superb doesn't have this.... humph.... good that the alfa has this and the many toys. as a technie, i love technology and features.

agree with you that the car looks fantastic, similar to the 156 facelift though, would need to see it in the flesh as believe it looks better than in photos

yes, love the dash, reminds me of the Audi interior too, driver focused and directed and looks better than the plain one found in the 3 series.

i am amazed at the progress they have made in built quality, matching or close to the germans based on your experience. The reliability of the car would be proven in a few years time to see if they have improved on that area too, cos historically, they suck in that area.

would love to go have a test drive once the selespeed is in town, the new box hasn't had the problems that plagued the earlier versions, so that's a plus. Wonder if they'd be bringing in the 1.9L versions too.

hill assist feature, so the car doesn't slip back on the slope? nice and great to have, i know the Golf V DSG doesn't have this and they do slip on a slope, as it is effectively a manual box. Good feature.

Yes, the Alfa moves my heart.... need to test drive and work the sums to see if my brain moves the same direction.. [:p]

Neutral Newbie

Er....bro, per your comment, "i am amazed at the progress they have made in built quality, matching or close to the germans based on your experience. " Shouldn't it be perceived build quality? Having nice touchy-feely panels, like superficial beauty, may only be skin deep, you know....think fake wood panels and "real" build quality [sly]

Neutral Newbie

Fluffy,

Think if you go by the policy that you should not buy the first batch, then you probably won't go wrong.

IMO, think AR has ironed out a lot of their past problems with the 159. First impressions last and I have this funny feeling that the 159 is good to go.... [thumbsup]

So far, they won't be bringing in the 1.9s....... [:(]

Aiyah, just get the 2.2 selespeed lah..... [sunny]

why is it that ur report still has so many comparison with the "Toad" instead of ur Astra?? [laugh] C'mon, get it over! [laugh]

I think all Alfas are great looking cars with nicely done up engines that truely embody the spirit and passion of motoring. But when it comes to reliability, it falls flat on its face too many times. haha... It used to be buy an Alfa, and do it with your eyes wide open (and facing only the speedo and the window).... cus if you look around the cabin, you'll start noticing that things don't fit that well. Maybe with the 159 they have caught up quite a bit. I hope they have because it would give lots of interest to buyers looking for something unique/alternative. Nice report on the car man... You certainly have done it again!

hiya mkI,

i guess the tody is a pretty good car (it could do with a 1.8T the it'll be perfect) huh?? all the cars i go to see is compared with it.

anyway, i went thru some of the reviews that were done on the 159 previously in the UK. It came in 3rd behind the BMW 3 series (1st) and the Audi A4 (2nd) but in front of the IS250 (4th).

some cons that i can remember are:

1) quality of interior has improved but some are low rent. Some knobs and buttons are fiddly.

2) lack of refinement, lots of wind, road and suspension noise.

3) boot (409 litres) has poor access.

Overall, a great improvement over the 156 and hopefully, they won't end up at the end of the reliability survey charts (they were last previously....)

yes, let a few batches pass first so that the teething problems can be ironed out ........

so the 1.9litre not coming in? that would be a good engine, good Bhp, lower Road Tax and consumption. Will see.... hee hee crossing fingers and toes.

[:p]

Neutral Newbie

If I had your current car now, I won't even bother about the rest of the cars that are out there in the current market.... [sunny]

Yours has built quality, looks, power, entertainment (PS) and snob appeal. What more can you ask for? [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement