Puts things into perspective..

Phalanx

Neutral Newbie

Was driving home along ECP towards airport just past the Keppel Viaduct. What happened after that sure placed things into perspective.

Was on the way home after visiting my doc and it was really pouring today, one of the worst I've ever experienced, especially when driving. Was just happily cruising along when I suddenly heard a voice (God) telling me to slow down and not follow the taxi in front of me at too close a distance.

Next thing I knew, the taxi, which was on lane 1, swerved left and right, it's pathetic tires lost grip (they really should change to better tires or if not, change regularly). The out-of-control cab tried to regain control but too late, it slammed into the side of another taxi on lane 2. It didnt stop there! It continued swerving left and right left and right and I was fast approaching it. Traffic was rather heavy and moving fast (70 at least - fast when considering the rain). Had to make split decision to decide where to swerve to steer clear of the cab (here i thank the driving skills gained on PG with the rest of you guys man). Managed to clear the still moving cab.

Please guys, change your tires if they are due and don't save money on tires, especially when changing to big rims.

↡ Advertisement

so, it's all about a cab hitting a cab and i hope no one else.... good..let them settle themselves and pray hard both of them are not on auntie lucy... [:p]

So now I suggest you go to your church or whatever & make a big donation to give thanks. [sly]

I think taxis r still using cross ply tyres. Grip sux but milage is good.

Neutral Newbie

...lovely write up, K, which really makes one wonder what they really do with taxi's here, given all the fare increases and all that load [:p]

Nice to hear you're fine, and that's one up for listening to that little voice [:)]

Neutral Newbie

glad that Someone's looking out for you. [;)]

I have a similar encounter with the voice before. I was about to change lane after checking my mirror. Thought coast was clear liao, but a voice suddenly told me not to change. I hesitated, and next thing i knew, a motorbike zoomed past me. Some may say it's sixth sense, but i thank the Lord for helping me avoid an accident. These are what i call little miracles in life. [thumbsup]

yup...that little voice has saved me many a timesmile.gifsmile.gif too....and everytime sth ALMOST happens, well, my rosary hanging in the car gets a big kisssmile.gif

there are 2 other voices in the car tho,

one says: 'aiyah , why u drive so fast.....cannot stand u'

The other: 'At the end of the junction turn left, and keep right'laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Sometimes, I rather put on my headphoneslaugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by RadX

So now I suggest you go to your church or whatever & make a big donation to give thanks. [sly]

I think taxis r still using cross ply tyres. Grip sux but milage is good.

The taxis use radial tyres, but having taken taxis many times before, the taxi drivers themselves were complaining about the poor grip on the skinny '175' tyres on the Toyota Crowns.

They said the OEM Bridgestone tyres were still OK, but once *NTUC Comfort (Comfort)changes the tyres, they use the cheap non-Japan brands (can't remember which brand), with those "flower" threads (not straight line thread pattern) meant for dry roads, and grip in the wet is very bad.. and also during cornering.

Some taxi drivers also told me that when the taxis are old and due to be scrapped, Comfort also stinges on the tyres and don't change them even thought the sides are bald.

And for all tyres, Comfort does not change all 4 tyres at 1 go, they just change 2 tyres at a time (eg, almost bald front tyres goes to the back and only 2 front tyres are changes.

Well, sad case, but I supose that as a government linked profit entity, the bottom line matters more to Comfort than the life and safety of its drivers and other road users.

*NTUC - National Trade Union Congress

Neutral Newbie

well.. if the taxi drivers themselves know how to complain about poor grip on their skinny tires.. why are they still racing down the road? [hur]

Oh I see.

I did look at a taxi's tyre & tot I saw they were cross ply.

I was shocked they still have them cos they r like from the stone age.

Maybe now they at least use radials.

Cos the type & size is regulated by LTA & they must follow exactly the type & size stipulated as it affects the amount charged on the meter.

I have seen a Sunny did that, and a honda civc when under the backside of the Sunny

on the same road on a sunny day.

Perhaps its not the rain but something on the road.

Hi.

No offence but ..this is perspective?...I dun getz it.. [:|]

on e other hand..im glad u are ok & that ur skills acquired @ PG comeinto use..

Oh..by e way..did u try to see if cabbie is injured or his passengers need help? maybb got children in there?

Was driving home along ECP towards airport just past the Keppel Viaduct. What happened after that sure placed things into perspective.

Was on the way home after visiting my doc and it was really pouring today, one of the worst I've ever experienced, especially when driving. Was just happily cruising along when I suddenly heard a voice (God) telling me to slow down and not follow the taxi in front of me at too close a distance.

Next thing I knew, the taxi, which was on lane 1, swerved left and right, it's pathetic tires lost grip (they really should change to better tires or if not, change regularly). The out-of-control cab tried to regain control but too late, it slammed into the side of another taxi on lane 2. It didnt stop there! It continued swerving left and right left and right and I was fast approaching it. Traffic was rather heavy and moving fast (70 at least - fast when considering the rain). Had to make split decision to decide where to swerve to steer clear of the cab (here i thank the driving skills gained on PG with the rest of you guys man). Managed to clear the still moving cab.

Please guys, change your tires if they are due and don't save money on tires, especially when changing to big rims.

[:|]

Neutral Newbie

Perspective here was unmentioned. It's more for my fellow SEAT buddies and what's truly more important (in life) and especially to the one here who wants big big rims but cheap cheap tires [sly]

Yeah you know who you are... [:p]

its the things like dis that make us wonder

whether miracles happens...

think u encountered one...

well cheers and thnk god u are safe...thumbsup.gif

↡ Advertisement