Ignition booster

W4nt3d

Neutral Newbie

Yup, just further up from from McWells, ask for Ben, he's one of the partners there, a very helpful guy and takes time to explain things to you.

↡ Advertisement

without a doubt.... go for MSD ignition stacker or coil....

the improvement is noticeable.... and the best part is, quite a few people will be willing to buy it off you, used.

check out their forum.... http://msdignition.com/forum/ and find the right one for your car.

& the pics below of my old ride which had the MSD Ignition Stacker..... wink.gif

post-6-1160578676_thumb.jpg

post-6-1160578677_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cool_jazz

Search the forum and found a thread that mentioned MSD do not have application for civic ES model, here is a extract from the MSD forum :-

Question posted :-

"hi MSD Tech Supporters. i'm from singapore.

i have some questions which need you guys to help me with.

i'm driving a Honda Civic, D16W 4-cylinder SOHC VTEC engine.

the engine is almost the same type of engine used in EX '03 model in US, the engine specification should be almost the same.

the only difference is EX is D17 engines which are 1700cc, whereas my D16W engine is a 1600cc.

i'm doing daily street driving, but i'm looking for some improved performance and better fuel consumption.

i would like to ask which ignition control is more suitable and recommended for my car, in terms of street performance?

is it MSD 6A PN 6200 or other specific model?

or is my car a distributorless type?

if it is distributorless, what should i get for my car?

what other MSD accessories do i need to get if i want to install the ignition control?

do i need any aftermarket ECU tuning units, like Hondata or Greddy e-manage or A'pexi VAFC2?

i have tried to do an application search on the MSD website, but i cannot find anything for my car.

is it there is no MSD application for my car at this moment?

thanks in advance...

"

Ans from msdtechsupport:-

"Unfortunately, we're not going to have an ignition for that particular vehicle. The reason is that your engine is equipped with a coil per cylinder ignition with integrated control modules. This makes installation of an aftermarket ignition system just about impossible.

"

It basically means that the civic has individual coilpacks for each sparkplug. you might want to check if Splitfire or FET makes coilpacks for that engine

Edited by Elfenstar

Some info about using high power ignition systems from NGK.

"7. Using high power ignition systems

Many of the more popular aftermarket ignition systems are of the capacitive discharge type. They store voltage, or accumulate it, until a point at which a trigger signal allows release of this more powerful spark. Companies like Mallory, MSD, Crane and Accel, to name a few, offer such systems.

They affect spark plugs in that they allow the gaps to be opened up to take advantage of the increased capacity. The theory is that the larger and the more intense the spark you are able to present to the air/fuel mixture, the more likely you will be to burn more fuel, and hence the more power you will make.

We encourage the use of such systems, but only on modified or older non-computer controlled vehicles.

In reality, computer controlled vehicles do such a good job of lighting off the air/fuel mixture (as evidenced by the ultra-low emissions), added ignition capacity would do little to burn more fuel since the stock configuration is doing such a good job. Older non-computer controlled vehicles or those

that have been modified with higher compression or boosted (nitrous, turbo, supercharged) engines can certainly take advantage of a more powerful ignition system."

Source http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spar...1300&country=US

without a doubt.... go for MSD ignition stacker or coil....

the improvement is noticeable.... and the best part is, quite a few people will be willing to buy it off you, used.

check out their forum.... http://msdignition.com/forum/ and find the right one for your car.

& the pics below of my old ride which had the MSD Ignition Stacker..... wink.gif

I still waiting for a 2nd hand MSD Ignition Stacker ley sly.gifsly.gifsly.gif Brand new from USA costs almost US$300 excluding shipping sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif

What shop is selling MSD? I would like to check it out if there is product for my ride.

McWell used to have an old piece..... and I got mine from Alfa Sportivo (an Alfa workshop). I sold mine to my friend who is using it in his Hyundai Tucson. But best thing to do is to check out that forum and ask for the exact model that is suitable for your ride, then buy it on the net.

McWell used to have an old piece..... and I got mine from Alfa Sportivo (an Alfa workshop). I sold mine to my friend who is using it in his Hyundai Tucson. But best thing to do is to check out that forum and ask for the exact model that is suitable for your ride, then buy it on the net.

McWell still got or not, if cheap I don't mind laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

All ignition coils or ignitors produce about 25,000 volt dc from 12volt dc.Most of the ignition boosters are designed to try to increase the 25,000volt ( 25kv) to as much as 60KV. Unless your plugs and cables are specially selected to within the high KV , chances you may end up with overheating problem , secondary electrical problems , engine mis at high speed or even starting problem with hot engine.