Using home woofer in car

V200

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys, I tried to search for this kind of information, but there are very few.

Just wondering if this is possible? Because I know home woofers are at 8 ohms while car ones are at 4 ohms. What will happen if we hook up the home woofer in the car? This is a passive unit. So will run with an amp. Rating is 100W. My amp is rated 200W.

Please advice if this is feasible? Thanks. [;)] Sorry for the newbie questions.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

The sub have an enclosure? I don't see why you cannot give it a try.

Yup the sub has an enclosure. [nod] Any problems with the resistance? One is 8ohms while the amp is 4ohms.

Neutral Newbie

Are you doing the 5.1 in your ride?

You will have a bit of problem with the power intake/supply...

Er....no I am not doing the 5.1 thing. The thing is, I have front components, changed rear speakers, but I am lacking the bass. So thought of using this woofer to see if it will improve the sound. Anyway, my head unit has a subwoofer out. [nod]

Neutral Newbie

amp rated 200W at 4 ohms. at 8 ohms it'll put out half, about 100W.

it can handle a higher impedance (8 ohms). u just have a limit of 100W power, that's all.

can run, no problem. or buy two and put them parallel for 200W @ 4 ohms (100W each) and 3dB louder since there're two, hehehe. or get 4 ... but if u like 8 .....

Arrr....ur problem is juz like our bro Drumstick from MCF also...he also wanna do the same but my advise is that better get a sub which will cost a bit with amp la...

Donning the PC sub in your car can be done but, power intake will be a problem and sub box for PCs are small, and it would not be enough to pump up the bassy sound.

I presume that u are riding Lancer rite? Or am i wrong... [:p]

Anyway, a car with a boot space would basically need a sub box to pump up the bassy sound.

unless u get a car like jazz/wish...box can be small yet some bassy sound can be heard.

Hmmm...my opinion may be different from others, as I also like to venture and try new things.

Perhaps you can drop by at our Nasi Padang MU every Wednesday from 930pm onwards...the guys will help you out on your request. Dun worry no one is perfect, and we are perfecting ourself everyday...so we learn.... [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

Arrr....ur problem is juz like our bro Drumstick from MCF also...he also wanna do the same but my advise is that better get a sub which will cost a bit with amp la...

Donning the PC sub in your car can be done but, power intake will be a problem and sub box for PCs are small, and it would not be enough to pump up the bassy sound.

I presume that u are riding Lancer rite? Or am i wrong...

Anyway, a car with a boot space would basically need a sub box to pump up the bassy sound.

unless u get a car like jazz/wish...box can be small yet some bassy sound can be heard.

Hmmm...my opinion may be different from others, as I also like to venture and try new things.

Perhaps you can drop by at our Nasi Padang MU every Wednesday from 930pm onwards...the guys will help you out on your request. Dun worry no one is perfect, and we are perfecting ourself everyday...so we learn....

The sub woofer that I want to use actually belongs to a pioneer home entertainment system. The woofer box has the size of almost 20cm cube. [nod]

The boot is pretty big, me drive altis. [:)]

i intend to power the sub with an extra car amp I have lying around. I believe the 200W rated amp should be sufficient. Only concern I have the the resistance in the woofer is 8ohms while the sub is 4ohms. Don't know if will have any detrimental effects on the amp or woofer. [sweatdrop]

I try to go to the meetups, but I work shifts, so hard to make it. [shakehead]

Check the current input to your sub and output from amp...using the ohm's law u will know the rating or current drive and power intake.

I = V/R , where I=Current, V=Voltage and R=Resistance. [thumbsup]

bro..

ur sub is passive sub rite? (no electrical power input rite).

like bro hyun said, drivin the 8 ohm sub @ 4 ohms will result in your amp pushin out less power to the sub, thus it'll be like gettin 100 watts nia. the sub will still work but how it'll sound like, we duno man.

ALSO, if the sub works, since the home theatre sub works in such a way that its for 'home theatre" (haha.. duh)... it may not sound nice in confined spaces cos it may need to be a bit further away to experience the bass.(like sweet spots at home lah). (something like that lah).. but its worth a try cos those subs give a pretty good kick. but don expect too much lah yeah?

give it a try lah.. i last time wanted to put my $200 altec lansing speakers + woofer into the car, that one can ROCK the room, duno how it'll sound like in the car sia.. haha. but too lazy to get power convertor.. hahaha

cheers

Edited by Headshok

Neutral Newbie

true that home and car may have different effects. but when talking about sub / woofer range, the main consideration is that car, having smaller volume, actually gives a boost to lower freqs. so it's not really a big deal. can almost just use home woofers for car without much consideration.

the more important concern is whether the speaker is designed for what kind of enclosure. so he'll need to find out, if possible, what's the Qts, Vas requirements. whether 100W is enough, have to look at the specs liao. or check out in the home environment how many watts is being used.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

yes. It is a passive sub. [:)] So what you are saying is that the amp might not be able to fully drive the sub. That, I am not afraid. I was more afraid of something like damaging the head unit or amp in the process. [sweatdrop]

Ha haa....in that case, I shall give it a try. When I get down and dirty installing the amp and sub, will feedback on the results. Thanks yah! [thumbsup]

Edited by V200

Neutral Newbie
amp rated 200W at 4 ohms. at 8 ohms it'll put out half, about 100W.

it can handle a higher impedance (8 ohms). u just have a limit of 100W power, that's all.

can run, no problem. or buy two and put them parallel for 200W @ 4 ohms (100W each) and 3dB louder since there're two, hehehe. or get 4 ... but if u like 8 .....

Wah...get so many, can make a board and line them all up in the boot! [laugh] Thanks for the advice dude! [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

hmm, i have 2 front speakers, 2 tweeters, 2 rear speakers and 1 subwoofer for my car. my battery less than a year, gone case (even with a voltage stabliser.)[smash]

wont work.

cos the PC spkr runs off AC.. car is DC

get an invertor(i tink u go sim lim can find those "cup holder invertor"), then u can power the PC woofer..

↡ Advertisement